1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you moved to a different country, where would it be & why live there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

[​IMG]

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A remote fishing village on either the Pacific or Atlantic side definitely wouldn't suck. Maybe less worry about hurricanes on the Pacific side.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

the dark side of Vancouver. it represents less than 0.00000001 % of the City.
    from my experience, commuting in Hongcouver is alot easier than Houston, SF, NYC and the like.
    it's not LA where it is sunny in the Winter time.

how many cities have year-round sunny weather like LA

4. Buck Turgidson

lulz, yeah, Vancouver and Havana are just a bit different. Solid point.

5. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Switzerland

IBTL likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Why? All of the clocks?

7. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Mainly the scenery but its supposed to be a safe place to live as well. Plus it does not hurt that the have some of the most gorgeous women on the planet.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Switzerland is uber expensive.

Nook, malakas and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. Exiled

Exiled Member

wut?

my condo on 8th street ,walking distant from work for roughly 4 months at least a year but could't be any happier to go back to kelowna when I'm done , I would also move to live in Calgary/Victoria in a heartbeat . or visit worthy destination somewhere else (Monte Carlo, Bali , Boracay ,Hawaii etc )

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Helicopters, 3-D printers, foreign countries, foreign nannies ... this dude's threads... I'm telling you... he's planning something...

Stay vigilant y'all.

11. adoo

adoo Member

how far is it from Banff National Park / Lake Louise

but their Winter is like Hongcouver's, grey

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

winter in okanagan valley (3 months average ) is more fun with the snow ,but does't get cold like Banff (7 realistic hours drive) or, McBride ,terrace or even kamloops , also you can swim in okanagan area sandy beaches in summer , something you can't do in Vancouver

to give you an idea : I walk during lunch break, others run, near the lake , almost everyone bike to work, 2 of my colleagues they have been biking nearly every single day for the past 20-30 years ( past due retirement ages) even in winter

Yung-T likes this.
  13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

totally disagree with you on Vancouver.....gotta have me some pacific. But I agree that Kelowna is a gem. Would love to keep a pontoon boat there for the summer.

Exiled likes this.
  14. Xerobull

You're correct.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My impression of Belgium as a tourist was that they were quirky and multinational. They seemed to get things other cultures weren't putting down...

I wouldn't mind backpacking there if I were younger and had a consistent way to earn money.

Mediterranean states like Portugal, Italy and Spain for the weather and engaging cultures. Would have to backpack around the regions to find the best spot for an expat.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

@Sajan, you better call Wendys to get on top of this.

Sajan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've fantasized about moving for the last 5 years or so, I've done a ridiculous amount of online research studying different countries over the years, and we're finally starting to take steps as a family to set up a move.

The plan is, become a citizen of Spain - which I am lucky enough to be able to access after just a year of residence due to their citizenship via descent pathways (thank you Abuela). This will give my family an EU citizenship which really opens up our options. By this time my wife will also be finishing her degree (which became available online, allowing us the option to move while she completes it, thanks COVID) which will again open our options, as she picked a degree that she is firstly passionate about of course, but also happens to be on New Zealand's long-term skilled career shortage list, a country I've been obsessed with for a very long time, before all you bandwagoners in here, get in line!

At that point, between our Spanish (EU) citizenship, and my wife's degree, we will hopefully be in a position to pick our new home. We'll firstly consider Spain of course, but we have mainly focused on 3 specific countries, with the idea in mind that Spain will always be a backup option, and a potential second home/retirement country.

The 3 countries are Iceland, Norway, and New Zealand.

The reasons why are a mixture of safety, healthcare, education systems, environmental quality, government (social and economic) systems, and cultures.

Os Trigonum, Nook, Pole and 5 others like this.
  18. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Clutchfans faints.

19. Xerobull

You're playing my song here. Your reasons are pretty much my own. My grandfather was pure Finnish and it looks like Finland has a similar path. I sure as hell don't want to live there in the winter, though.

My wife and I were looking at the NZ Skill Shortage lists about an hour ago. I easily check half a dozen boxes on the long-term list and she checks a few on the short-term.

Thanks for doing all the great work and research! I'll just step in line riiiight here in front of you, mkay. Thanks a bunch!

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's my opinion that Iceland and Norway have superior governance, and in general, offer a higher quality of life for the average citizen, than New Zealand. That being said, New Zealand is still relatively very good, but what makes it competitive for me amongst Nordic countries, is simply the weather and ease of cultural assimilation being an English speaker. We're also an interracial couple with interracial children, and I'm not 100% sure how that would be in the Nordic countries, I suspect it wouldn't be much of an issue, but In New Zealand (or Spain), I'm confident it would be a nonissue.

So there are multiple angles, and we plan on visiting all the countries first before making any choices. If you were to become a Finnish citizen, that would of course give you an EU citizenship which gives you freedom of movement to any EU country, so you could always dip to Spain during those winter months, especially with those 30 days of paid leave per year ;)

Just something to think about

[​IMG]

#60 ThatBoyNick, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Xerobull likes this.