1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you had a choice...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Joshfast, Jun 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

on where you would/could live for a couple years, which one would you pick? If you have any thoughts about any of these places,(pros-cons) let me know. I might be moving soon...

Here's the list.

Austin
    San Diego
    Vancouver
    Scottsdale/Phoenix area
    Las Vegas

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'll be going to San Diego next month. I love that area. The only thing I hate is the proximity to quakes. Can't stand that. So with that said, from everything I've heard Vancouver would be the place.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

None of those are appealing to me, really. I would rather live near the Orlando area. However, if I had to choose one, it would be Phoenix. The cost of living in California is ridiculous, especially with the taxes.

4. Isabel

Isabel Member

I'd say Austin: still in Texas, closer to my family than the other places, etc. Been there and done that anyway. Not really my favorite, but OK.

San Diego: was probably pretty before it got crowded. (haven't been, though; reserving judgment)

Phoenix: hot, has grown and sprawled a lot. Prefer Tucson.

Vegas: haven't been, but don't like the whole concept.

Vancouver: don't really do up north/ out of the country. Ask 3814. He knows the best coffee shops and public transportation.

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Austin- No Thanks

Las Vegas- houston in the 70's (exploding) no thanks

Scottsdale/Phoenix area- No thanks

San Diego- Do they speak english there? If not, no thanks.

Vancouver, Beautiful city, Yes, I could be happy there, for a couple of years anyway.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Austin
    San Francisco
    San Diego
    Orange County
    Vegas

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Vancouver is a BEAUTIFUL city. (A lot of Asian hotties, too, I might add.) I've been there twice and enjoyed every minute of it. Then again, it was in the summer so I'm not sure how the winters would be.

I love Phoenix, too...mainly for the golf and constant sunshine.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I know I've said this before but you should check out Charlotte. Its an awesome city.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

With those choices, I'd go with either Austin, Vancouver, or San Diego.

10. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No question about it, I'd choose San Diego.
    Weather is beautiful, proximity to great beaches a major plus and its a great city. Re: earthquakes - they really dont happen that often, especially not in SD. I lived in LA for 10 years and did not once endure a major earthquake, couple minor ones, but they only swung the chandeliers (sp?) a bit.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I want to live in New England when I get older. Somewhere like New Hampshire, Rhode Island, or Mass. Probably New Hamsphire.

12. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I've been to all those cities (currently live in Austin), and I'd pick Vancouver, hands down.

[​IMG]

13. torque

Supporting Member

woah. vancouver looks really cool.

14. Joshfast

Supporting Member

Thanks for the opinions - has anyone ever dealt with the paper work, like work visas and such for moving to Canada? Is it difficult?

15. torque

Supporting Member

Not for Canada, but I had to do it to move to England. Its a bit tedious, but I was going not only to work but also to go to school and I think that I got my work visa fairly quickly because of that.

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I've been to three out of those choices and would go with Austin.

If I can give a plug for my current locale, Minneapolis, its actually a pretty decent city. A lot like Austin except for the 9 months I'm freezing my cojones off.

17. Joshfast

Supporting Member

I wouldn't be buying a house or anything major - just renting and checking out different places for a couple years. I eventually want to live in all of those places and then come back to Texas (Austin or Houston) to settle down in 5-6 years. Also will be spending some time in France (I have family there) once I get the language down, and maybe stay around Europe for awhile.

I'm young and have no debt, so I just decided a couple weeks ago that it would be fesible to do this. It's sort of scary, but sometimes you just have to go for it I guess. The only thing that will suck is paying for league passes on digital cable for all my Houston sports. I'm addicted.

18. Joshfast

Supporting Member

Did you enjoy your time there and what school did you go to if you mind me asking?

19. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I love Austin, and I'd recommend it, but there's something to be said about moving to a new part of the US and getting a fresh start out there.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't know where my hands would be, but I would pick Austin. I wouldn't move to Vancouver because I wouldn't know how to give direction based on the building... you know how we in Houston can say: "Yeah I will meet you for lunch [downtown] inside the building that looks like a Milk Carton... yeah the BLACK one..." you know?

Imagine saying: "Yeah, I will meet you for lunch at this building... you know... the one with the... the one that looks like... the one that resembles a... crap... ummm... oh, crap they all look the same... freak it... walk to the tallest building... ok?"

;)