1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could start a team with ONE player in his prime, who would it be?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Plowman, Jul 22, 2014.

1. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I pick dream (maybe its the homer in me). I personally don't know anyone that was better than him on both ends of the court. There were better scorer that wasn't anywhere near him when it came to defense. And its hard to find any player that was better on D, maybe Russell? Mutombo? Robinson?

2. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Wouldn't you consider Magic #1 if you're talking about a player that can do everything. Magic is the only player that has effectively played every position from point guard to center. He played center in Game 6 of the 1980 Finals when Kareem was out with injury and successfully led the Lakers to close out the 76ers. Hakeem can play the 4 or 5 effectively, but I'm pretty sure would not make such a good point guard or even a shooting guard. Lebron may be the only other player in Magic's league when it comes to well rounded.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dream is the best defender of all time. And I don't think it's even close.

And then we have the offense ... Dream redefined speed at the Center position, and no one has ever even come close to what he did, like that.

And he destroyed the '86 defending champion Showtime Lakers four games in a row...with Magic, Kareem and Worthy and Scott and Cooper. In his 2nd year in the league.

So, yeah,,,you always pick a Center first.

4. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

damn you've seen the future? :p btw does anyone think wesley snipes = beverley? lol saw expendables trailer and im like **** thats bev!

5. split41

split41 Member

Russell would #1 in blocks or maybe Wilt, but not Kareem.

6. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

There's a difference between jumping center and playing center. Watch the game. The Magic playing center is one of the stupidest myths that keeps getting trotted out. Having said that, Magic would be my first choice for a non-Center. But I would take Wilt, Russell, Hakeem, Kareem, Walton, Moses, and Shaq before him.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Didn't he get himself get kicked out fairly early for slogging that gm of the lakers in the final game?