1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could only keep one (Capela or Gordon)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Streets 01, Jun 29, 2017.

?

If you could only keep one player who would it be?

1. Keep Eric Gordon

34 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Keep Clint Capela

141 vote(s)
    80.6%
  1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Capella is a dime a dozen. Gordon has elite scoring qualities. You can replace Capela with a slew of guys. Javele McGee, Jordan Hill, etc. Gordon is that 3rd guard/scorer they need. When Harden rest, Gordon comes in, when cp3 rest, Gordon comes in. Nene played better in the playoffs before his injury than Capela.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It was a difficult decision. I choose in a general scenario to keep Capela though. Who would have thought 2 years ago people would have choose him by a wide margin over the player that just won 6th man of the year.

I bet he is REALLY hoping he doesn't get traded. He will be catching passes from either Harden or Paul every single minute he is on the court. yikes

3. MD_in_Training

Jordan Hill??? What are you smoking?

I mean, fine, I may give you that a motivated Javale can play great in spurts, but I want to see him sustain that level of play for at least 20 minutes a game before I'll even consider him over Clint. Honestly, name another center that we can realistically get with the same production and potential as Capela.

Gordon does not have elite scoring qualities. I mean, he's a solid 6th man, but let's not cream our pants here. He shot 40% from FG and 37% from 3PT last year - not exactly something to write home about.

Bottom line is if we can get a superstar like PG, then by all means we should give up either Clint or EG. But, if we had the choice between the two, we keep CC everyday and twice on Sunday.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Capela has a chance to make a couple of all star games I would guess.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

And also he scored 12.6 points per game at 23.9 minutes per game.

If he got up to close to 30 minutes a game. Learns how to finish marginally better while upping his ft% a little more (which would also probably give him more minutes) While always having Harden or Paul to get him good looks. He could end up scoring 20 points per game this year.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No he doesn't, but he is useful.

D-rock likes this.
  7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Capela isn't saving this frnachise in 4 years so why focus much on youth when we're going all in now? And again, i think hes closer to peaking than is expected and he already lost some athleticism over a season....

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I looked at a list. Gobert, Towns, Cousins, and Davis. Unless a few them are traded and/or there is drastic improvement from Capela. There is a decent chance Capela has a few 20/10 seasons though if he stays on the Rockets these next few years with the crazy pace this team has.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Any chance Morey can poison pill Nerlens from Cuban. Getting George and stealing Noel from Dallas would be like tasting food from the gods. :D

10. threepointshot3

Clint with CP3 and James equals pick and roll heaven

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think they'll be due to age.. In bulking up he developed more rounded shoulders and he had already been developing forward head posture the year before.. You can already see he lost some explosion. His injuries may not come soon but i think his movement will slowly regress, which makes it hard to improve as a player .....

Im just thinking about now.. Going all in.. Who knows what we'll have in a few yrs? he's not going to be an all star so why risk the yr or two we have to keep CP, James, and recruit another star, over someone who'll probably be a less mature Tyson Chandler? Gordons abilities are extremely important in today's game and in going up against GS. I think we find a Capela replacement more easily.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. MD_in_Training

Who can we realistically get to replace what CC will give us next year?

14. dmoneybangbang

An elite PNR, rim-runner is a skill that would be harder to replace.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I was pretty down on Clint late last season but he showed up enough in the playoffs to make it a no-brainer.

Consistency is his problem. Gotta quit the disappearing act and learn to finish stronger in traffic.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

It absolutely depends on who the team will be acquiring in the trade. If it is Paul George, I can let go of Gordon. If it is Love or Milsap, then I can let Capela go.

saleem likes this.
  17. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

I guess people were asleep during the spurs series. Capela was swattong everything and a huge deterent in the paint. He raised his level. The sky is the limit for him.

Trade EG and ask for monta ellis in return

pgabriel likes this.
  18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Just waiting for the moment you realize Eric is more of an injury risk than Clint.

But after all that, I can see it won't happen any time soon.

Plus if you think we can find another Clint so easily, why do teams value him more than Eric? And why dont more teams have more Clints?

Think about how long it took US to find a Clint Capela type center.... It truly isn't as simple as you think.

Hell, your example of Tyson is terrible! He took many years and many teams later to get to where he was a dominant low post defender. Chicago, Charlotte, New Orleans, Dallas... He went thru all that before he became a championship caliber defender with almost no offense besides lobs and outback dunks.

Capela has shown more low post moves in his first 3 years than Tyson did in his entire career!

Man... I don't feel like going back and forth. Its clearly Capela and if you dont believe me take a look at the poll above.

seeingred likes this.
  19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Capela is being discussed heavily. His value is high. If it were between those two, look for the Kid to be shipped. We need a vet to go along with a super team, if that indeed is happening.

I like him as a person, but he can't handle these bigger guys.

We need bigs...that's our weakness.

Blake?

D-rock, Nook, basketballholic and 3 others like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt there are interesting bigs on the market. Blake is major warn sign - Chiseled glass body.....

I doubt we are going to the Draft to get a big.

Leaves us trades without assets, FAs, Dleague and International waters.

Clint right now is more valuable than people give him credit for. I see him better than DA Jordan in couple seasons and DeAndre was an Allstar.