1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could live in any U.S city , which would it be ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ramu3, Aug 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Here's my list:
    Austin
    Boulder
    Santa Fe
    Sedona
    Seattle
    Portland
    San Diego

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Pretty much my list as well.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

never been outside of texas :(

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Warner Robins, GA (Its the perfect size for me, and within reasonable distance of the beach, and a major city)
    Austin, TX (Originally from the area, don't remember much, but family loved it, and I like the location. Of course it's changed a lot in the 20 years since we moved)
    Statesboro, GA (Similar in size to what WR was when we first moved. Hour from Savannah, and where I went to college)
    Oklahoma City (Only because my mother lives there).

I really don't want to live in a huge city, which is why places like Houston wouldn't work for me. Austin & OKC, I'd actually try to live and work in the suburbs, since they are even bigger than I like.

5. juicystream

Why Boulder? It may be a fun party town, but it is so dirty.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Houston, Texas

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

PARIS, France :eek:
    :confused:

Don't you live there already? Where do you live now?

That's what MAE said! :grin:

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Denver.

Living in the city during the week, skiing every weekend.

9. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

well since i live in Austin already which is great, if I had to leave and could choose, it would probably be San Diego, or somewhere in Hawaii.

10. juicystream

Another crappy choice. My brother lives there, and I hate it. Colorado Springs would be a better choice, IMO.

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Just curious.....what do you hate about Denver and what appeals to you about the Springs.

If i had my choice, I wouldn't live in any city. Give me 2k acre ranch somewhere in the hills stocked with deviant women and I will be satisfied.

12. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Really a good question and one that I've contemplated many times due to my work conditions (work from home). I literally could work from Anywhere, Earth (w/internet), but how I ended up in North Texas?!?!?!? (okay, I'll admit...got married)

But if I was on my own, I'd say ANY of the Hawaiian islands. Within these lower 48s: Taos, NM...area.

13. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

1. Orange County/Laguna Beach/Newport Beach
    2. San Diego
    3. Los Angeles
    4. Austin

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’ve been to Boulder a bunch of times. Dirty is the last thing I’d call it. It is a neat little town that is more of a Denver suburb (somewhat like the relationship between Woodlands and Houston), that has a great college vibe, the good Colorado outdoor focus, a neat little outdoor walking mall, and frankly, to me, has felt perfectly clean.

And there we have it; we’re just going to have to disagree on things Colorado! Denver, imo, is a much better choice than Colorado Springs… though I think both have their faults… as far as non-mountain towns go, I think Ft. Collins might be the best choice.

--------

Wrt to question someone asked about how brutal Colorado winters can get, imo, they really aren’t THAT bad. Yes, it can get cold (and very cold occasionally), and snowy, but it is a dry cold (which I find preferable), and very sunny. And everyone stays very active.

My bigger complaint about Colorado generally is that it is so dry. Don’t get me wrong, a great change from the humidity, but there are no large bodies of water nearby, and no large lake systems, etc. There are mountain rivers, some whitewater, fly fishing, but if you’re someone who needs vast amounts of water, Colorado isn’t the place.

Regarding the PNW, and the Portland vs. Seattle debate, I liked both, but ultimately would pick Seattle. Frankly, Seattle is probably the top city on my list right now. I just don’t know if I could stomach the winters for the rest of my life. It’s not as hippy, crunchy, liberal as Portland, but it seems to have a great balance of smart, educated, tech motivated, younger demographic, but still somewhat grounded, not too liberal, business focused, etc. Similarly, I think the setting, between the sounds and Lake Washington, with the urban core, yet still a rural/suburban outskirsts, is a great balance – it has some of the East Coast walkable urban city vibe, but also some of the new frontier driveable city vibe. And I happen to think the Seattle skyline is one of the best in the US.

If anyone ever visits the City-data forums, there was a guy who used to live in Seattle – pwright1 – that was an amateur photographer and he had a ton of threads filled with excellent shots in and around the city.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/search.php?searchid=30986644

Here’s some great Seattle skyline videos:
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-oS-3pxBG4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G2-DA73VSqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2AqyHZ7JS1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#94 JayZ750, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  15. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Vancouver is another city , but it is in Canada.

16. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

San Francisco.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm one of the wanderlusters- on my list is San Fran and New Orleans.

I have lived in Austin, NYC, and Los Angeles, all of them are easier to adapt to than most people would believe...

it's nothing "like the movies" as mentioned on the first page.

and I have always said you can find a place to live in NYC for an affordable deal.

keep in mind when you say you want to live in Manhattan- there's plenty of affordable options.

18. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Portland, San Francisco
    Barcelona

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

1. NYC/SF
    2. Seattle

If we're also including the rest of NA, Vancouver is on the short list as well.

20. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

title says U.S.

FOLLOW THE RULES