1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could go back in time and bring back one player to our current team, who would it be and why?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slam Dunk, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Ralph Sampson

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

F it just start both Yao and Dwight.

Yao will be our stretch 4.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If I can't pick Dream, then Moses. He was a beast, he'd be beasting today, and would light a fire under our young players. Elvin Hayes would be a close second based purely on talent, but he could be a real pain in the arse to be around. That goes against him. Too many great former Rockets players to pick a third choice. I'd go crazy attempting to cull down the list.

Why can't I pick Hakeem? :-(-

4. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Moochie Norris

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Of course the obvious choice will be Jeremy Lin.

To bring him from that Rockets team 2 seasons ago to now and then waive him,

we actually may have a real shot to win it all in 2014.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I would go back in time and take K.Leonard with the 14th pick instead of Marcus Morris. Still pissed we passed on him, he was listed as a top 8 pick among most draft boards and I was jumping up and down when he fell to us, and then we picked Marcus :(

7. Raven

Raven Member

8. Lefty

Lefty Member

Top tier bread, OP.

But there can be only one answear.

Ryan Bowen.

9. Know Your Role

Fully Agree, the man was a baller. Not a perfect player, but could do a lot of things really well. Hakeem was so good at so many things, it took away from Sampson, Dwight would of been a perfect center for him to work with. Just like Tmac and Yao, such a sad way it ended for him. He deserves more credit than he gets.

10. Lefty

Lefty Member

I dont understand why yall would bring back injury prone players.

Makes no sense.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Moses

So we can watch Draymond Green try to guard him in a small-ball lineup.

12. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Hakeem, not sure how you can answer otherwise. He could play next to Dwight at power forward (twin towers 2.0?) and slide over when Howard was out.

Second would be McGrady. Not as good of a fit, but he'd be great in small ball 4 situations, wouldn't have to take as much of the scoring load so he could play some defense, and with him and Harden, we'd see a sliver of what could have been on Orlando with McGrady if Grant Hill stayed healthy.

Really, this question is most interesting if you say which non-star from Rockets history would you add. Robert Horry definitely fits this team perfectly in that situation.

outside the box picks: DeMarre Carroll (assuming he's atlanta version, not houston), Glen Rice, Scott Padgett, Otis Thorpe, Von Wafer, Rudy T, Walt Williams, James Posey

13. conquistador#11

is this tricky question?
    charles jones. he'd bring some veteran leadership and can relieve howard. would instantly be the best big man at FTs.

14. xaos

xaos Member

Moses seemed like the easy answer to me.

A few others I would love here:
    Sam Cassell
    Robert Horry
    Clyde -- and worry about positions later
    Ron Artest would fit very well on this team
    Otis
    Barkley

15. Know Your Role

Because this is a make believe thread where you can bring back whoever you want and not get grief. Complaining about fantasy threads makes no sense.

16. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this! Yao would be the stretch 4 on offense cuz his shot is silky, and Dwight could be the 4 on defense because he has just enough mobility to guard on the perimeter.

It'd be the anti small ball NBA.

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Elite rebounding rate, 3 point range (less so efficiency but hey we survived Josh Smith), multiple seasons with elite shooting efficiency, and underrated passing?

Sign me up :)

18. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

terror williams

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Sorry, we had Rudy once, and ClutchFans wanted him fired.

One player from the past would have to be Elvin Hayes. I would have picked Moses, but we already have a center, so I would go with Hayes. Hayes was great as either a power forward or center.

20. photojoe

photojoe Member

If you allow people to pick Hakeem, then this is an easy choice. It would be Hakeem.

If you say that people can't pick Hakeem, then it is also an easy choice. You choose Moses Malone. The only other Rockets player (until James Harden wins one) besides Hakeem to win the NBA MVP. Hakeem won it once. Moses won it twice. The Rockets have been to the Finals 4 times (until they make it there next year). Three of those times, they were led by Hakeem (1986, 1994 and 1995). The only other time they made it to the Finals, they were led by Malone (1981)

Elvin Hayes would be a good choice. Ralph Sampson and Yao Ming were both great players who had their careers cut short by injuries. 2005 T-Mac was a great player that season, but he started going downhill from there.

There are other good Rockets players of course. But if given the chance, IMO, Moses would be the easy choice.