1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could bring one player in Rox history to this team... (excl. Dream)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, Dec 24, 2013.

?

Who would you put on this team?

1. Clyde Drexler

24 vote(s)
    6.6%
  2. T-Mac

81 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Rudy-T

13 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Moses Malone

65 vote(s)
    17.8%
  5. Robert Horry

45 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. Sam Cassel

19 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. Otis Thorpe

23 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Yao Ming

77 vote(s)
    21.0%
  9. Granville Waiters

5 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Other

14 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Yellow

Yellow Member

I disagree, Asik is not a threat because he cannot shoot any shot, is a bad leaper so even dunking is a problem, he cannot catch any passes, he is not a serious post threat and cannot run the pick and roll. All of these things OT can do. He is like Howard in the post, a power player and used his strength to get a shot off on opposing bigs. You would have two serious offensive post up players, which would do wonders for the rest of the team.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Otis would at least not be injured every other week.

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

4. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Yao as our stretch four. Dat twin tower baby

5. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Good points on the things that Ot can do that Asik cannot do. However, i still dont think it works because of the clogged lane. It would be really hard for lin, parsons, and harden to attack the rim with an opposing center and pf sagging into the lane.

6. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

Moses Malone. I saw him play. He was Kevin Love without the 3 pt jumper. Clyde is a close second. Since this is all fantasy, a better behaved Vernon Maxwell would go good too.

7. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Can I bring Rudy T in to coach? Otherwise it'd have to be Malone.

8. BleedsRocketRed

I picked Sam. We need a scorer off the bench. One who is capable to put the ball into the hole when called into a situation. I would then pick Horry (Rockets year) as out stretch 4 if I had to. He played that role extremely well after we traded for Clyde.

Obviously, if given the situation I would probably pick Moses or Clyde due to their legacy, but I wanted to think outside of the box and not pick sure fire HOF players.

9. SugarLandDream8

How come HOF player Calvin Murphy is not on the list?

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Rep to everyone who said Elvin Hayes before this post. It has to be the Big E, how could it be anyone else? We already have Dwight, so adding Moses would just make Dwight a bench player. Dwight and Asik didn't Work, so it would be silly to try and play Dwight and Moses. Moses was far superior than Dwight in my opinion, so Dwight would come off the bench.

Elvin Hayes though would be perfect for this team. Elvin was a power forward that could play center when needed. Elvin was great under the basket, but he was terrific playing away from the basket. I don't think he would be a stretch four, but he could provide the spacing that the Rockets need, and still pull down 12 or 13 rebounds a night playing alongside Dwight. I saw Elvin play for the Rockets before we traded him and he was phenomenal. I never understood why we traded him, I think he got Jack Marin in return. What a horrible trade.

#50 Rip Van Rocket, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. SugarLandDream8

No disrespect to Howard. He's the best center in the NBA right now but of course Moses is vastly better than Howard and it's not even close. This is not just your opinion, it's basically what every knowledgeable basketball fan would think. after all Moses was Dream's teacher and mentor. Hakeem wasn't a good player till Moses taught him how to play the center position.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've always thought that the reason the Rockets traded Elvin was the same reason they traded Moses... they didn't want to pay him. Sure, he didn't get along with Coach Winter, but when you have a player as good as Hayes, don't you move the coach before moving the player? Besides Marin, they got "cash considerations." The Rockets used to be cheap, folks. Having Alexander as the owner at least insures that they are cheap no longer. Since we have Dwight, I'd go with Elvin Hayes over Malone, since Moses would rightly shove Howard to the bench. That puts an elite rebounder and scorer beside Dwight, and his defense wasn't bad, either.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

How about John Lucas? 16 ppg and 9 apg would look pretty good on this team. He'd run the show and keep both Harden and Howard happy.

If you can live with Bevlin, then E is the other acceptable answer.

If Moses, Dwight becomes today's Asik because he's not as good as Moses and he can't play O or D at the 4 with any consistency, so it's kind of a wasted pick, though you might be able to trade him before December 19th.

14. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Matt Maloney

Spaces the floor for the Haren and Dwight.

I kid ...

15. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Edit: Harden.

16. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I was actually thinking Maloney, too. We're still paying him; he might as well get some playing time. ;)

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, I guess it was about money. I was only 12yrs old at the time, and all I knew was that we just traded away our best player. The average crowd at most games was probably 4000-5000.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Gotta roll with best player on the list, Big Mo. Either he or Dwight could play the 4 or 5. The combination of rebounding, drawing fouls, and easy buckets would devastate the league... especially MIA's soft self.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Sir Charles Barkley. How does he not even make the poll?

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Great minds

Amen.

Asik has zero offensive game, though. Either Dwight or Moses could play PF-C. It would also be a MJ-Pip situation where at least one player was always playing.

Hayes would be great too.