1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

If You Could Ask Baker One Question...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobrek, Aug 4, 2022.

1. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I'd ask him about the high five.

2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'd go this route as well. Dusty is a likable guy and a great story teller so that'd be fun. As far as managing I'd definitely like to know what goes through his head when it comes to the lineup and when to pull a pitcher.

3. SuraGotMadHops

lol, dude has done nothing but win ballgames in clumps and get us to deep playoff runs since he's been here. And no, the Astros don't go to the WS and win pennants "in spite" of Dusty. A truly bad manager and this team would be in much worse shape than ummm ...DOUBLE DIGIT games up in the division.

Y'all forgot about Cecil Cooper, Jimy Williams, Brad Mills, and Bo Porter.

Fulgore, cmlmel77 and marks0223 like this.
  4. astroscolt45

astroscolt45 Member

Why don't you just play the best nine more often and let them gel as a lineup ?

Wulaw Horn and King1 like this.
  5. Qan

Qan Member

How about Astros hire Joe Maddon next year and let's test this theory.

6. aristophanes34

Why do you often rest guys on the day when they have the most favorable match-up of the series? Do you not look at that? Were you unaware that Yuli has hit .400 against Montas in over 30 ABs for his career when you chose to sit him that day out of the three? Do you like to keep guys challenged? What is it because it happens a lot? Seriously... I want to know.

King1 likes this.
  7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Do yall have a boo sound bite playing during Altuve's batting practice?

Buck Turgidson and King1 like this.
  8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

What is the actual point of Pablo Prigioni?

marks0223 likes this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I'm starting to question the point of Jake Meyers. Bad on offense, bad arm in the outfield, and he nearly took out Diaz last night. Apparently he's getting starts the next 2 days and I question if that's a push from Click. Give him a few more chances then perhaps send him to Sugar Land to get out of his funk.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Who do you wish you could trade off this roster? And why is that answer Chas McCormick?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there really such a thing as "gelling as a lineup" in baseball, though? It's not like basketball where the 5 guys on the court have to develop chemistry and work together. When a batter is hitting, he's going up against the pitcher and the fielders, and that doesn't change much based on who else is in the lineup with maybe the exception of what kind of pitches he gets. But I don't really consider that something a team would gel over.

Bregatron likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I get the lineup not needing to gel together, but getting regular ABs for the best 9 would help each of the 9 individually stay in a rhythm.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The problem is that they don't have a best 9. Since Brantley has been hurt, they've had a best 5 - Altuve, Pena, Tucker, Alvarez, Bregman.

Every other starter and reserve has been roughly the same offensively. Recently Diaz has come on strong. Hopefully Mancini will be allowed to distinguish himself. And Maldonado has been good since July. If he continues, he and Vasquez will essentially be interchangeable.

Marshall Bryant and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Funny thing is, he is extremely similar to Jimy in his managerial style

King1 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Mancini fits with that group of 5, if he plays regularly

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Right... thus my "if he is allowed" caveat.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I hated old 1 M. You are right. At least Dusty doesn’t appear to be an *******.

18. SuraGotMadHops

Maybe, but Jimy had a world series caliber team in 2004 and could only muster a 44-44 record before he got fired. Enter Phil Garner and the team blasted off.

When a team underachieves, I put blame on the manager. When the team overachieves, I give major credit to the manager. Right now, Dusty has a world series caliber team playing like a world series caliber team. I really don't understand why so many folks think he's so awful. In 2020, we overachieved in the playoffs, and a lot of that has to do with Dusty's management during the playoffs.

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Dusty always has a WS team and can't win. He's a nice guy but a trash manager

20. SuraGotMadHops

Winning a World Series is like...really hard guys.

If he was truly a "trash" manager, this team would not have the wins they have right now.

marks0223 and Fulgore like this.