1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Yao was born in the States, would you mind let him play for the US Olympic Team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by paxil, Apr 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Or he should rest more?

2. Fatty FatBastard

He should find you and delete your posts.

Yao has obligations in China right now....... We ALL hope that China realizes that Yao needs to stay here in the offseason.

What is he going to learn playing with 5'2 chinese guy's going " I CAN'T FIND!" "I CAN'T FIND!"

He's going to be fine, but the Chinese Embargo package needs to leave... and soon!:)

3. timm

timm Member

The point is he can stay here all summer and work with a 6'2 (maybe 6'3) who couldn't find Yao from November till now:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Panda

Panda Member

While we're at it, here's an article that briefly talks about Yao's game and training in the offseason, from the perspective of the new NT coach. This coach instructed Yao before.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2003-04-18/1034427362.shtml

On Yao's training, the new coach said they will first examine Yao and get to know his condition, then they will develop a training plan for Yao. If that's true, Yao's training will be different from other NT members, which is good in my book.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I think most of the ppl don't have the problem with Yao playing for the National team but rather he'd have to train sooooo much for it and the fact that we've heard horror stories about how the intense training actually ruined some of the players. I remember specifically a post and an article about a guard that was scouted by the NBA tearing out his legs because of excessive training. About how the Chinese coaches train the players extra hard because then even if they lose they can show the higher ups atleast they tried. I don't know how credible those events are but I think everyone would be a lot happier if China hires a more well know and credible coach. I'm look at the soccer program, China hired Milo, why can't they do the same for basketball. I think the fact that Milo is as well know internationally as he was means that they paid him a pro coaches contract (he was the ex- U.S. and Mexico team Coach), so China isn't shy about throwing the big bux for a good soccer coach, they can afford a good one. I guarantee u if China spends the money to hire Lenny Wilkens (now that he's not with Toronto anymore) no one on this board will complain...or they might.

6. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I'm selfish. I'd rather have him rest more.

7. drapg

drapg Member

If Yao was 1 foot shorter, would he still be in the NBA today?

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That was outright racist, but funny when Eddie Murphy said it the first time, FB.

Yes, I would let him play for the US Olympic Team... GO ROCKETS!

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

"if the chinese national team was in the eastern confrence than they would be in the playoffs" -kelvin cato

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly, I think that's the ONLY reason people are concerned. It has nothing to do with what country he plays for.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

By the time the end of this Summer people from China and other countries may be Quarentined because of SARS so Yao Ming might not be able to return to the USA for quite some time. Has it ever crossed your mind? Also if Yao Ming is such a Treasure of China, you would think that they would tell him to stay here in the USA, where he will be better protected! The risk of problems increase greatly when he returns to Shanghai.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Most people recover from SARS..over 97%.

DD

13. rocketear

rocketear Contributing Member

Yao should stay here until China can contain that Sars and find a cure for it.It's risky for him to go back home now...you never know! on the other hand ,he has obligation to China this summer...oh well!

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yikes, didn't think about that. :(

15. wowming

wowming Member

There is more crime in the US, traffic accidents too. We should keep him in China, to protect him from it. Yao is a grown man. Let him represent his country. I bet the same people who are against Yao making his own decisions, were against Dream fasting for Ramadan.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I heard that it's 80%.

17. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Yao should stay in Houston !

Well, if not, at least stay in USA until the freaking SARS is over.

I do think it's best for both him and Rockets.

18. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

As a professional health care provider, I 'd like to share some information with people here in this forum.
    Sars is virus infection. So far, we (the entire world) have not develop any treatment for viral infections. So there is no treatment for Sars as well any viral infections. Antibiotics are given for the secondary bacterial infection initated by the viral infections. So far, Sars has infected 0.0001% and wiped out 0.00001% of the Chinese population. There is higher risk of choking to death by a pretzel than Sars.

:eek:

19. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

As a professional basketball player, Yao doesnt like pretzel.

20. AGBee

AGBee Member

Bush believes you!