1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we were to acquire a non-lottery first rounder to add to our rotation...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 6, 2019.

1. basketballholic

Don't you think he's a second rounder?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The only reasons you'd trade Capela for a non-lottery first rounder are (1) if that pick is ABSOLUTELY required to then move on for a bigger asset, or (2) if you were like 90%+ sure whomever you picked there had Kawhi like potential. And even the best GMs aren't really that sure about that ever. Heck, they're not 90%+ sure that Zion Williamson is that.

saleem likes this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

He's shoots 38% from three, plays with a good sense of floor spacing because he can light it up from anywhere on the floor and can be great in pick and roll sets. He's not a playmaker but playing off Harden will cover that up and his defense can use some refining but he's an nba rotation player imo

4. Nook

Nook Member

Trade the damn draft pick for someone that will be a rotation player next year, maybe a back up point guard that is good quality.

The Rockets do not need a rookie. The Rockets have 2 years, 3 at the absolute most before they tear this MOFO down.

Tilman can say he doesn't like to lose, but he isn't Les Alexander. He would buy into a rebuild from the ground up.

D-rock, joshuaao, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  5. ball king23

ball king23 Member

If we could obtain a second late or mid First I would look at a good SF or back up C like a Jack salt or SF like cam Johnson or Rui mid first or someone who can play

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i can see tilman going lightly into the lux tax this coming season and then tearing the entire MOFO down summer of 2020. we have very limited assets and all these proposed trades in this forum would basically equate to a largely fruitless shell game. we'd just be plugging holes while creating brand new ones

7. basketballholic

We're not going to rebuild until 22-23 at the earliest.

I think this is the ideal time to try to add a difference making first round pick that can play immediately and help us significantly and have that player on a cheap contract for the next 4 seasons.

#27 basketballholic, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  8. ball king23

ball king23 Member

we need to get younger the window will be slam shut if we do not get younger lets some young guys play some this same rotation of old players same system of 3's layups and dunks is not happening how are you going to know if you have a star if you do not play them and stop trading 1st round picks for lower level talent

9. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I like the little ive seen of Luka Saminic. He'll either be reeeeally good. Or Mario Hezonja ‍♂️

10. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I know a lot of people are really down on this draft but looking through the tape I think there are guys who can help us out now and have me genuinely excited. I’ve outlined an off-season plan in a previous thread that chronicles how to obtain said players and picks.

Draft Targets
    My goals for this draft is to acquire the best suited 3 and D players and guys with ready made roles who can contribute from day 1. Skills that usually translate include rebound/steals/ft%/lateral quickness/wingspan

1) Deandre Hunter: Big forward that can switch 3-5 and hedge for a little bit on the pick. Not sure if he’s entirely quick enough laterally but he’s got the smarts and the huge wingspan to contain guards. His shooting mechanics are great with impressive ft% and 3 pt%. Reminds me of the guy Phoenix got last year. IMO premier 3 and d target

2) Mathisse Thybulle: I LOVE this kid. Played for UW in zone but had prolific steal and block numbers. Huge guard with wingspan and athleticism to boot. He’s been a volume 3 Pt shooter hitting around 33%. But his ft% is high enough to make a believer out of me in his potential. He was putting up defensive numbers similar to the glove. I think this kid needs to be on the team now and can take over for rivers role. ALso you know he gonna be a star with his name.

3) Sekou Dembouyou: oozes potential in the Greek freak and siakam way. Has been becoming more and More productive as he is the youngest player in This draft. Ft% Is impressively high For his size. And has shown range. Switchability on defense as well and can likely play small ball 5

4) Chuma Okeke: another premier 3 and d guy. Swiss Army knife dropped out of lottery for an acl year but him and hunter aren’t impressive in their roles

Would also considered Okpala from Stanford. Long versatile offense and switchable.

Those are the 5 I’d go after hard and think we could potentially get pending on what Atlanta wants to do.

I had posted this offseason outline in a previous post.

1)

Hou in: 8/10/13 James Johnson( whoever Miami wants gone)
    Hou out Capela

Miami out: Jjo/13
    Miami in: plumlee(or Len or whoever atl doesn’t care for)

Atl out 8/10/whoever they don’t want
    Atl in Capela

I think htx should move on Capela. Not because he’s not great but because we have a guy in FA who has a similar skill set that would assuredly come to us if we had a starting spot and full MLE to offer. DAJ can fill the rim rolling rebounder roll probably better than Cap. You sacrifice lateral switchability for increased ft% and size. So you can use Capela to set you up with tradeable contracts and picks to maintain cost controlled players. At 8/10/13 you can get hunter/dembouyou/ thybulle. If Atlanta doesn’t want to give up 8 and instead offers 17 (wouldn’t favor this since this isn’t a perceived good draft and Capela offers them a cheap cost controlled elite rim runner that doesn’t take up any cap for them). Then you can start till get dembouyou/thybulle and reach for Chuma or trade back with the Celtics to get Chuma and Okpala later.

Miami does it to reduce lux tax hit

Atlanta is rumored to want to trade up. If they cannot I would imagine the ability to pair an elite rim runner and rebounder on a great contract is worth a couple of picks when they are pick flush for the next 2 years.

2)

Hou in Aaron Gordon whoever Orlando wants off
    Hou out Egod and JJo and unprotected jest rounder

Hou beefs up the 4 spot while sacrificing back court depth
    Orlando gets needed backcourt help can slide Isaac to 4 where he isn’t better and replace front court loss of agod.

3) sign DAJ/jam/dedmon for full TPMLE

4) pipe dream but if jimmy demands an opt in and trade

Hou out snt shump nene and multiple picks
    Hou in butler maybe JSimmons?

We could run a lineup at the worst of

DAJ/Hartenstein/Dembouyou
    Tucker/James Johnson/Hunter
    Egod/shump/hunter/Chuma
    Harden/Thybulle
    Paul/thybulle

Dream

DAJ/hart/dembouyou
    Agod/Tucker
    Butler/hunter/Chuma
    Harden/thybulle
    Paul/thybulle

#30 BallaDoc, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Its meaningless if MDA wont give any playing time...

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I like reading through this thread at the scenarios, but my interest in the draft is using picks/players to address the roster. Is it ever too soon to start building for October? I know the draft has a ton of talent, but I'm a believer in finding a way to use picks and/or players to add proven vets.

In my eyes, we need a backup guard, backup/starting (potentially) wing and a backup or starting (potentially...not unlikely) big.

Random and some mentionables (minor stuff) thoughts with draft implications, of course, with the Rockets in mind.

Guards:
    Orlando needs help with a DJ....
    NJ can't pay Beef Jerky Joe during Free Agency...fits perfectly here. Heard a due diligence check from a contact previously, just like Wayne Ellington before Miami messed it up.

Wingstop: Snag an earlier target from Boston in JB? Let Morey sweeten up Danny with their past friendship? Convince Gilbert to free Cedi to us?

And, there's always, always Miami: EVERYONE is for sale, with the exception of Josh and Udonis (duh)...They are high on Bam and still like WinSLOW.
    (But, Whiteside has wanted out for a long, long time. Expensive bite of a contract, but expiring player option.( I'm a huge fan. If he played under Mike and got the touches Clint gets, he'd be happy. He can shoot, rebound, everything. The problem isn't talent. The problem is leadership, and he doesn't have a team of leaders in Miami. Lots of loners and one small clique. Whomever gets him and has the right coach, HW can be a top 5 center, and he will be once he's out of Riley's mess and Spo's dog house)

Winger: I love Dougie Buckets of Indiana...it would be a full circle of sorts to get him. (Remember how Presti grabbed Dougie and Taj before we could get Taj at deadline?! Oh yeah, remember when Presti got Melo, right before we snagged him? I only wish Hasheem Thabeet's farts on the OKC bench to that entire org. :)

Winger/LilKiller: Jonathan Simmons is a stud...Philly loses him soon>! I miss Trev, still.

CJ wants a fresh start and a home ....(Rockets had prior interest, still do)....A wing who can hit 3s? He had an off year, but damn, up close, he's a shooter.

Bigs....hmm...does the draft help us here? We have Capela, who is a top 10 center. But, what is his ceiling and can we improve at that spot in this offense? I'm not sure. I firmly believe that a guy like Mike Scott of Philly would be amazing for us, and while he's not as big as Clint, he's tough, rebound and can shoot a pick and pop, as well as the 3 ball. Teams are going to offer him a good deal...he'd thrive here. Philly can't afford him, Butler and everyone else on that roster. Brand thought he was gonna win it all this year...

.Love is going to be in the air for awhile, for a lot of teams.

Sabonis is a DREAM for his skill set and ability to extend the floor. His defense is getting better.

Saric for the right price. (recent mention, not sure how though)

--Not saying draft night, but the air feels as though I'm gonna miss my guy this season. This isn't a surprise. A surprise would be the return.

My bad for the rambling. Excited for the draft...tired of watching Donkey Draymond.

Let's bring it to Houston already.

-Cod

13. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Tyler Herro. We could get him around the 20th pick. I think he will be the best shooter in the draft. They changed his release point so he is still getting used to it. He can create off the dribble and is an average defender but still really young.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Obviously I don't subscribe to the newsletter ….

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Actually, that is really great to hear that that is the case. Because I feared he wouldn't. When the time comes for a rebuild, I hope they do what we are seeing right now from the Hawks. They are patient, collecting picks, renting out cap space for picks. They are selling hope and are exciting. That's how you rebuild.

lilbird20 and Nook like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wow, that's a lot of interesting stuff there @Codman

I agree it is more likely the Rockets look to add vets versus rookies for this Harden/CP3 core.

Rockets could go in any number of directions with trades of Capela or EG.

Then depending on trades who to use the T-MLE on? It sounds like they have ideas on that, someone that isn't currently on the team. So that means they wouldn't use it on Rivers.

Can Morey strike gold on some Vet Min deals? Can Morey find a "Moute" type player(s) with a Vet Min deal that ends up being a playoff rotation worthy player?

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

He has publicly said he would not do a rebuild but later said he would have to be talked in it.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think if he is "open to the idea" Morey could provide enough data evidence (show a pathway) to doing a rebuild. The key is "selling hope." You have to have players that are gritty and show fight. Something for fans to cheer. Fans will cheer even if the record is bad with the right players. And then in the background, you are getting picks and high ceiling talent.

Nook likes this.
  19. basketballholic

As you well know I've written extensively about the synergy between us and Miami. There's a reason Win slow is still my avatar. (Although I should upgrade it to him and Butler.) And I've proposed a Whiteside/ Winslow combination before.

But Whiteside is an expiring contract now. And while still a real possibility Miami is more focused on moving JJ/DW/13 into some teams capspace ideally. Secondarily to that they'll take expiring contracts to move off those contracts and hope to recoup pick value.... depending on what kind of expirings they could get back. (EGordon on an expiring is a first rounder whereas Miles Plumlee on an expiring is nothing. )

If we fail at Butler, KD (we will know before the draft), and AD (we will know during the draft), then our next best course world be to focus on helping both OKC and Miami get out of the tax by taking on salary and assets from them

These two scenarios, if we stacked them back to back (OKC then Miami) could lead us to a roster full of vets plus some youngsters and multiple picks. Especially if we found homes for EGo and Capela for draft picks/low salary bets with no incoming salaries.

We could then conceivably take on a couple expiring deals plus 21 from OKC. And then in turn use those deals to take on JJ/DW/JW and possibly even KO/13 for a SnT Shump (one year guarantee).

These deals stacked one after the other could conceivably leave us controlling multiple picks that we'r could then flip back out for future picks.... while possibly picking up one nice rookie that we like....

That is plug and play ready.

K?

Hence the reason for my question.

It would be nice to have an immediate top rotation guy locked down for 4 years.... extending to the year that we have to once again get out of the tax if we've stayed in it for 3 years.... and past the end of Paul's deal.

So I enjoyed the read. And we agree on Mcbuckets and Sabonis too. They'd be so nails here.

And Whiteside/Winslow package is still a distinct possibility if we whiff on Butler, KD, AD and Miami finds a taker for their longer contracts. Especially if AD KD and Kyrie (and Butler and Kawhi) go with 1+1 deals and rerun free agency in 2020 when they're all free together and can pick their team together and/or control the deadline. (This is a distinct possibility with KD's injury and the uncertainty concerning AD trade and whether he'll extend a year.)

So i do think a rookie first rounder on the roster is a distinct possibility here. That's why I started the thread.

Glad to read you again. Prayers for you always.

BallaDoc likes this.
  20. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Trade capela for the 1st rounder we traded for shumpert

tilmenball