1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we were going to lose to someone, I'm glad it was Boston ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

One of the things that Kobe said in an interview before Sunday's game was "Let's hope that Houston peaks early, before the playoffs."

That hit me pretty hard.

We are all so excited about this streak, which has been one of the most impressive things done in a long time, and got our fans rejuvenated. This team has won against ALL odds, and I am SO proud of them. When Wilt, West and Goodrich went 33, they were at their best, and had 2 of the greatest players of all time, probably in the top 5 all time. We lost Yao. Even more impressive, the guy who stepped up in the paint, Carl Landry, has been out the last 6 games. When I heard he wasn't starting, I told the person I watched the game with ... "you know, if we are going to lose a game this week, I'd rather it be to Boston."

After the game, when Garnett was asked if it was easy to beat Houston with Yao and Landry out of the game, he said that no one should say it was easy, because that would take away from what they just did, since they wanted to be the ones to end Houston's streak, and from Houston in winning so many. He kept saying "this WAS NOT EASY."

They are the best team in the league. It's not a shame to lose it to them. Even if we lose to New Orleans, Phoenix or Golden State afterwards, people will see it as a letdown after the streak, but our Western competition won't get the credit for being the ones breaking the streak.

You can tell that TMac is tired. He burned himself out those 2 games playing 48 minutes, so that we could get to #2 on the all time streak list, and the rest of the team carried us to be alone at #1 in the standings, and #2 on the streak list. But, without Landry in this game, we really had no chance against Boston, not with the accumulation of exhaustion, adrenalin drain and constant media attention. Adrenalin eventually wears you out until you are rung out like a washcloth. Chamberlain and West could do it simply on insane talent and concentration. We were doing it on heart, concentration and constant hard work.

So, now we go on the road. Less media frenzy, where TMac plays better, with Landry back in the lineup, and we can catch our breath, to make our move toward the playoffs.

I actually was worried that this streak might cause us to lose in the playoffs, because we'd be too exhausted to get back into it. Now we can focus on the playoffs, and peak at the right time.

And, if they lose the next few games, like almost everyone else has done after a long streak like this, it won't mean they don't belong at the top. It will just mean they are exhausted. I'm really proud of this team. They all gave it their all, including TMac, and I hope they continue.

If they keep winning this week, I'll be blown away again.

... but, now its time to focus on the playoffs, and to see how far we can go.

2. dafranchise0309

your late.....

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

lol

... no, just more reflective now ... and amazed at what they'd done, grateful as a fan, with hopes we'll see more in the playoffs.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

there is NOTHING late about a good Sherlock thread.

I swear to god, you rookies start tearing down every older member when they try to make good threads that DONT start out complaining.

I'm surprised yall didn't go into Jeremiah's thread to piss all over it too.

:rolleyes:

5. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

Maybe this wasn't their peak :eek: :eek:

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Word, R2K, and by the way, "your late" is not grammatically correct.

GREAT post, Sherlock. Puts things in perspective a bit. The fact that the streak is over is sad, but a little relieving. Now the guys can focus on the games at hand without getting caught up in the media frenzy. We'll get Carl back, get Tracy rested, and take care of business on this road trip.

7. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Great post there. I completely agree. I am glad that they lost to Boston, the best team in the NBA instead of a weak team like Charlotte or Atlanta. This team really gave it their all the last 22 games. I am really proud of these guys and it is amazing that after a loss like this, you feel really good to be a fan of the team and look back and see what they have accomplished. Time to buckle down for the playoffs now. Starts with New Orleans tonight. The Rockets need win consistently still to keep that number one seed.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

All this Tmac is tired stuff...how is that not going to carry over to a grueling playoff series? I would expect he would be pretty tired then, too. It doesn't exactly bode well for us, IMO.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

** Two thumbs Up **

They will rebound and I don't mind losing to Boston so much as it being on national tv.

10. kwng

kwng Member

Boston is VERY STRONG TEAM and losing to them is not too surprising.
    However, the fierce dunk by Garnet when the game is already over is
    unwaranted and disrespectful.

11. kwng

kwng Member

unwaranted = unwarranted

12. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Yes, but do you not agree if there is any time to take a couple games off, it's during the regular season when you've worked so hard (as a team, I might add) to be at the top spot and make a cushion? I would rather him dog it now than in the playoffs. If he dogs it in the playoffs, it's a different story.

13. Surfguy

Just like the Rafer showboating at the end of the Lakers game was unwarranted and disrespectful?

I don't think it was unwarranted or disrespectful at all. They are playing a team that has 22 wins. They want to punctuate the fact that they just kicked our butts. The fact that KG is still in the game at that point is a sign of respect because they don't want us getting back in it. He came back and dunked again on the very next play...only he didn't slam it as hard. So what? We were letting them run all over us in the paint all night long. We deserved whatever we got in the paint.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree, but it still pissed me off.

someone should have fouled him, hard, on that second dunk.

15. kwng

kwng Member

I think Rafer case was due to Sasha defensive play when there is less than 1 min game time and we were up by double digits. If Sasha leave Rafer alone, there won't be any showboating from Rafer. In Garnet case is different as there is some time left and our guys there looked like they have given up and did not even try hard to stop him.

16. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

His late what? Come on, the suspense is killing me! His late what?!?

17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Yes I'm really glad it was Boston too. They're on pace to finish with one of the best records in NBA history. And believe it or not, although it seemed like Rox would never lose again, it was bound to happen. MVP chatter for McGrady, meh, I never did buy it. But I don't understand all the sudden bashing. Well, yes I do, I've never read so many trade T-Mac posts after the 6 game losing streak earlier this season. Ridiculous. Now watch him pick this team up after the heartbreaking loss. MVP time starts now.

That said, where the hell is Carl Landry? By no means do I want to bring him too early and risk further injury, but we are sooooo missing his hustle, energy, and athleticism from the bench!!!

I miss Yao like he just went down again too :( :( :(

18. dividend

dividend Member

Excellent post.

I hope now, we can focus on:
    First, just making the playoffs
    Then, if possible, get home court

After that, the seeding and matchup aren't EXTREMELY important - the west is just so crazy right now. I hope Adelman goes deeper in our bench, even if it means losing a couple of games that we would normally win. This will give rest to our main group in preparation for the playoffs as well as experience to our other guys who wouldn't usually see this much playing time.

As much as we all want to think we can win it all this year, that expectation is very unrealistic without our best player (I would love to be proven wrong on this statement). I would say that with these large gorillas on our back, passing the first round this year would make this year successful. I'm not sure if we'd even be the favorite in the first round even if we had homecourt. I remember hearing a fact a while back that there has been no NBA champion which did not pass the first round the previous year. Well, we need to advance in the playoffs this season so we can build on it for next season with a FULL STRENGTH Rockets team.

19. Surfguy

If the Rockets are ticked off about it, then maybe they can use that as positive energy the next time we play them. Yea, it sucks to have an exclamation dunk at the end of the game after they just got done tearing us apart. When it happened, I was just like "exclamation on an ass-kicking. ouch.". lol

20. kwng

kwng Member

Yeah .. I was quite angry and I hope our guys got fired up. The next time we meet them, show them the video.