1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we still had Kenny Thomas, what would he play?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just playing here. Not a comment on a past trade or anything like that.

But what if we had not traded Kenny away. What if he was still on the team and everything else is the same. Griffin still spins out of controll, MoT and Cato are still here. JVG is still the coach. I make the assumption that JVG still wants sized at PF and the Cato experiment still occurs with roughly the same results.

What would be KT's role? Start, sub, lost on the bench? Would he be playiing at the three or four?

I'm interested in your opinion.

2. FadeAway_Dreams

After Mo went out and Kenny was starting for us a bit I was impressed with what he did. Not to mention last I knew he was still putting up good numbers. I'd like to think he'd be the starter.

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

the guy put up good stats but he wouldnt pass the ball. that would be horrible for this team. maybe ok for 2nd unit but i dont think he plays good enough defense to justify him clogging everything up on offense

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

better yet we should start another thread about if we still had serge zwikker....... "twin towers! oh my! thats 15 feet of shaq domination!!" ;)

5. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

lol kinda reminds me of Mo. I've been impressed with him lately though :)

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He would be the starting 4 on this current team and Cato would be on the bench backing up Yao.

DD

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think he would be our starting 3 and we wouldn't have JJ.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, HP has taken over DD's account..
    :mad:

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A big IF!

10. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

I saw him play against the spurs he had an alright game but he did commit some stupid turnovers. I still cant believe how much he gets paid. I am glad the rockets did not give him that contract.

11. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

I was discussing something similar with some buds of mine. If we still had KT along with Griffin without the assault case this would be a nice squad. I mean we would have a log jam at powerforward in a way but Eddie could play some 3 at times depending on the opponent. Heck with JVG doing surprisingly well with the moving of Cato to powerforward would lead me to belive that he would give both Eddie and KT time at the 3 position. Just my 2 cents.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

the rockets never recovered and still haven't after they traded KT. sometimes it takes a bit player to hold everyone together.

13. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

He'd be playing thumb wars with Boki. j/k..:p

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He'd be playing the 3 and banging away defensively like Ron Artrest. Kenny is very physical and very intense, a Van Gundy style player. Van Gundy would have him giving up the rock on offense and have him bodying up on the 3 man. BUT, he would not be making $56 million or whatever he signed for in Philly.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, KT sure held them together the previous season, didn't he? After he left, the team "never recovered," although they did manage a 15-win improvement over the previous year.

:rolleyes:

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The actual Philly $ figure is closer to 7 years @ ~$42m. It starts @ ~$4.3m which is less than the MLE.

If you're comparing Thomas to Ron Artest, you have a much higher opinion of Kenny Thomas than I do. Thomas has excellent footwork which gives him the deception of being fast...which he isn't. Artest has enough footspeed that the Pacers will use him against a SG or even a PG. And Thomas doesn't have the handles of an Artest, Marion, Odom, Maggette, Rashard, Sprewell, etc.

I'm sure you'll disagree, but KT wouldn't be a better Rox SF than Jim Jackson.

17. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I always liked Kenny. The knock on him coming out of college was that was lazy, but he never played that way in Houston. He's the kind of role player that a championship team needs. Hard-nosed defender, can score when necessary, excellent rebounder for his size (admittedly he's a little short), and a hustle guy.

He's overpaid in Philly, and he probably overrates himself a little, but we did lose him for almost nothing, in the end. I think he would've been a nice compliment to Yao starting at PF. He's no Artest, but he's not slow either, and he could be used to match up with some of the 3s in the league. And he has some range on his J (more than Kelvin anyway), and could step out to the perimeter with the likes of Nowitzki. Heck, I even remember him doing a decent job guarding Paul Pierce.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

True. Nice ballplayer, but worth less (not worthless, just worth lots less than he signed for). Posey I miss. I would have paid for him, alas (he does not play like a lass, alas he does not play for Rox).

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

serge was a great player, so do not say anything negative about him, i never saw him play bad for the rockets, not one minute:D

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The first Jon Ameche.