1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we only could keep one, Brooks or Lowry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Jul 14, 2010.

?

If we only could keep one, Brooks or Lowry?

1. Brooks

219 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. Lowry

85 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. BreakYoSelfFool

Rockets who are worth 6 mil+:

Aaron Brooks
    Kevin Martin
    Ariza (benefit of the doubt)
    Scola
    Yao
    Lowry

People not on that list currently making more than 6 mil:
    Battier
    Jeffries

First of all, 6 mil is not a huge amount for a young guy who will play at least 25 - 30 mins backing up 2 guard spots.

I think this poll would make more sense if it said Ariza or Battier

2. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

AB's asking price will be 10 million+

3. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like Lowry more as a player, honestly. He just does more things and I like his toughness. But its not about playing favorites -- Brooks is the proven starter and the more valued asset. I'd keep him, even though I hate to lose Lowry.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

It is rare to find a PG who plays D, can get to the line and create for teammates.

6. choujie

choujie Member

I don't know why rockets cannot have two PGs who take starters' money. Two all star level contracts at one position is not good, but two starters contracts is fine.

Every championship team has players take starter/star level contracts coming off bench. That is a sign of deep team, a good thing.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

bingo

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Sometimes its better to be ahead than behind. At the start of free agency before blake and thos guys got money vs the caravan chasing bosh who was never coming, had the rockets offered lowry 4.5m per, he might have signed it. After blake and the others like ridonor got that much, his money went up. Or the rockets could have extended brooks to about 6m per and told lowry they would work a sign and trade with any team and recieved byc te. Sometimes it pays to be the aggressor vs sitting back.

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Agreed. The rockets should consider to give Brooks an extension now. But I think it would take at least 8m per.

10. choujie

choujie Member

It's a gamble, you never know. And there is no reason to think Lowry will just take a very moderate raise from Rockets than go out to explore his options, especially he is not starting here.

11. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

Lowry barely draws iron from anywhere 5 ft and out from the basket. I love his hustle, heart, determination and his ability to drive/finish/draw fouls but c'mon..you guys that are saying Lowry over Brooks can't be serious. I mean Aaron Brooks is the Most Improved Player in the NBA. Lowry is an ideal change of pace to him..not a full time-starter.

Keeping both is the ideal scenario, but if its one or the other, this an absolute no-brainer. Guys that have the game breaking ability of brooks don't come around often. Lowry's defense, hustle and penetrating/creating ability can be more easily replaced than the deadly marksmanship/touch and quickness of Brooks.

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Starter vs non-starter argument is kinda weak. Consider two examples.

Rick Adelman's 2001 SAC team. Bobby Jackson was a slightly better PG than Jason Williams but Jackson mainly played on the 2nd unit.

San Antonio Spurs in their heydays. Do you keep Ginobili or his counterpart in SAS starting lineup if you were forced to choose one?

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I vote Brooks, but I disagree with the assertion that we can't have two PGs making "starter's money." And the assertion that Lowry wouldn't be happy here.

Also, I'd point out that letting Lowry walk is simply letting him walk. An asset out the door with nothing in return. Brooks can be traded now or at the deadline for significant value, or he can be S&Ted next offseason, or Lowry could be traded next offseason (this coming season Brooks doesn't make starter's money anyway). So, if it were true that they can't coexist (which isn't the case), Brooks' departure doesn't mean losing an asset without compensation, but Lowry leaving for Cleveland certainly would.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Ginobili's counterpart doesn't take 6m per.

15. tested911

tested911 Member

It's just a choice between the two without any variables then Yes it has to be Brooks..

But then you have to look at how much AB is going to command next summer. If it's a choice between AB vs Lowry + dominant PF (tier2 type) then I pick the latter. I would rather have our money be tied to an interior player vs perimeter..

16. BleedRocketsRed

Come to think of it, neither are easily replaceable.

But I can't think of one player similar to Lowry. MAYBE Rondo.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If Lowry takes 6m per, his contract won't be easy to be traded.

18. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Dude if Brian Cook can be traded.....anybody can be traded.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm saying, sometimes its best to get ahead of the free agency period before someone pulls the oakland raiders contract out. Thats what happened to boozer in cleveland. Boozer was going to stay until the jazz offered okur 52m and then boozer got to thinking. The jazz gave 52m to a bench player and boozer was a 2nd yr guy coming off 17-11. At the start of free agency, the rockets were so determined to make this crazy, far fetched pitch to bosh that they didn't take care of home. No one thought lowry would get more than 4m per, but once the cap was set at 58m vs 52m and these contracts started going out, all the money got bigger. Now the rockets are in a tough spot big time with both lowry and brooks. Just think about next year on a team filled with rookie contracts and cap space and Brooks is free. Guess who will come knocking? Thats right, Petrie who has been dying to get brooks. With evans as a ball handler and cousins showing glimpses of webber, brooks will fit right in and make that team very,very, dangerous. Thy will offer him 8m+ staright out the box and will get back in the mix. Meanwhile, the rockets will have the cap holds of shane,yao,jeffries,and hayes. This is a bad spot to be in right now.

20. BleedRocketsRed

If you think about it, his deal is only 3 years long.

Next offseason, his deal is only 2 years long. Given his age and abilities, it could still be an attractive option.

The offseason after, his deal is expiring. Given his age and abilities, it would be a very attractive option.

So yes, I think he can be moved.