1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we keep up the neocon/Likud policies we will be just like Israel.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 10, 2004.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Ok let me try to do this without messing up too bad. I never brought up the brotherhood thing, but ill take a whiff at it. Its like this, If you attack a fellow Muslim in front of me I will definately feel the pain, but we may also fight in the background but thats none of your business.

Look me and my brother used to fight like we were both about to kill each other. but if another person in the neighborhood laid a hand on either one of us we would definately get up and defend the other no matter how big the attacker was.

Another big problem is the sects that have been created. They give some people a "legit" reason to attack and ridicule another Muslim. They believe that they are the right way and the others that pray a different way are offending god and hence need to be taken care of. Its definately a problem in the Muslim world, and it should be a more focal point in Muslim Governments to stop these types of violences. But again if another group attacks one of them all the others will get up and defend em.

Hope that helps.

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

........but you took a swing at me with the Arabs & Muslims comment. That gets you involved from my viewpoint.

If you go and reread some of the links I provided in the other thread in regards to Sudan such as:
    <a HREF="http://www.oic-oci.org/press/english/august%202004/rep-darfur-en.htm">
    REPORT OF THE OIC MISSION TO ASSESS THE SITUATION IN THE DARFUR REGION OF THE SUDAN</a>

<a HREF="http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa/06/11/sudan.un/">Security Council endorses resolution on Sudan</a>

<a HREF="http://www.oic-oci.org/english/fm/31/31%20icfm-DECLARATION-eng.htm">ISTANBUL DECLARATION ADOPTED BY THE THIRTY-FIRST SESSION OF THE ISLAMIC CONFERENCE OF FOREIGN MINISTERS</a>

I see no indication of the <i>pain</i> that you suggest that the Muslim World feels about the situation in Sudan. If there was some <i>pain</i>, then why the lockstep with the Sudanese government on the situation? Have the OIC countries told the UN that they would muster up a peacekeeping force for Sudan and would handle the situation themselves because Muslim - Muslim violence was unacceptable to the Islamic World?

Indonesia
    Bangladesh
    Pakistan

are OIC members with sizable populations and are not Arab League members. It seems that each of those countries could contribute perhaps 5,000 troops each to form a 15,000 strong peacekeeping force for Sudan.

The intertwining of Islam and the government leads to these type of situations. The dominant religious group leans heavily on the government to favor them and put the smaller sect groups on the defensive. If one looks at what appears to be an endless cycle of Sunni - Shia violence in Pakistan, it goes beyond a <i>defensive</i> posture and into something that hampers the improvement of the society and the country as a whole. All in the name of this branch of Islam being <i>correct</i> and the other <i>sects</i> being wrong.

In regards to sects being created..........that is nothing new because that started in the early years of Islam with the Shia - Sunni division.

You were in the thread I started about Radical Islam:

<a HREF="http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73505">Radical Islam</a>

3. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

#63 AggieRocket, Sep 14, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  4. AggieRocket

I love that response. We should all just automatically assume that my post is "ridiculous." Don't just call my post "ridiculous." Use facts to show that my post is ridiculous.

The Israelis, namely former Prime Minister Menachem Begin, blew up the King David hotel and ruthlessly murdered British officials and soldiers. Refute that.

In 1982, the Israelis, led by then Defense Minister Ariel Sharon, massacred 1500 people in one day in the Lebanese villages of Sabra and Chatila. Israeli tanks surrounded the villages to prevent innocent Palestinians from leaving as the villages were sprayed with bullets. Those were not terrorists. There was no Hezbollah terrorist threat in 1982. Over the course of the Lebanon debacle, over 15000 people were killed by Israel. Refute that.

In 1954, the Israeli government launched "Operation Suzannah", which was an Israeli government operation to murder Americans and blow up American buildings in Egypt and then blame it on the Egyptians. That way, America would side with Israel in a war against Egypt. Luckily for America and Egypt, one of these attempts (an attempt to blow up an MGM Theater in Cairo) was foiled because the bomb went off early and was in official Israeli government possession. The Israeli Foreign Minister at the time, Pinhas Lavon, had to resign over this. Refute that.

During the Six-Day War in 1967, unmarked Israeli planes and torpedo boats launched a 90 minute attack on the USS Liberty. Once again, Israel had intended to have the blame of this attack put on Egypt. Secretary of State Dean Rusk and Joint Cheifs Chairman Tom Moorer both concluded that this was not mistaken identity, as Israel had claimed, but rather a deliberate attack on a U.S. ship. Refute that.

I won't elaborate on Jonathan Pollard, who was an Israeli spy hired to obtain American secrets and give them to the Russians in the height of the Cold War.

As you can see, I can substantiate my claim that we have no business being an ally of Israel. Israel gets more American aid than any other country and this is how they repay us. It is quite evident that Israel is no ally of ours, but rather a country that simply uses us.

I hardly think that my post is "ridiculous." Additionally, most mommas should let their kids grow up to be Aggies because this Aggie thinks on his own. He has enough intellect to form his own opinions and not buy in to what people tell him at face value.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Actually, according to wikipedia, Lebonese nationals massacred 700-800 Palestinians at Sabra and Chatila.

There are allegations that Sharon allowed or even encouraged the massacre, but they are unproven. The Israelis certainly never sprayed the camps with bullets. He was indicted in a Belgian court, was never tried, and the case was later dropped when the Belgian government decided they had no rights to try non-Belgian suspects for crimes against non-Belgian victims.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Yes, I think you are right that it was the Lebanese who conducted the massacre. However, I think I remember reading that the allegations that Sharon allowed/encouraged it were indeed proven in Israeli court, where he was found guilty of war crimes. Perhaps the better read posters here can confirm or elaborate more informatively...

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It's Worse Than You Think
    As Americans debate Vietnam, the U.S. death toll tops 1,000 in Iraq. And the insurgents are still getting stronger

By Scott Johnson and Babak Dehghanpisheh
    Newsweek
    Updated: 1:14 p.m. ET Sept. 12, 2004

Sept. 20 issue - Iraqis don't shock easily these days, but eyewitnesses could only blink in disbelief as they recounted last Tuesday's broad-daylight kidnappings in central Baghdad. At about 5 in the afternoon, on a quiet side street outside the Ibn Haitham hospital, a gang armed with pistols, AK-47s and pump-action shotguns raided a small house used by three Italian aid groups.

The gunmen, none of them wearing masks, took orders from a smooth-shaven man in a gray suit; they called him "sir." When they drove off, the gunmen had four hostages: two local NGO employees—one of them a woman who was dragged out of the house by her headscarf—and two 29-year-old Italians, Simona Pari and Simona Torretta, both members of the antiwar group A Bridge to Baghdad. The whole job took less than 10 minutes. Not a shot was fired. About 15 minutes afterward, an American Humvee convoy passed hardly a block away—headed in the opposite direction.

Sixteen months after the war's supposed end, Iraq's insurgency is spreading. Each successful demand by kidnappers has spawned more hostage-takings—to make Philippine troops go home, to stop Turkish truckers from hauling supplies into Iraq, to extort fat ransom payments from Kuwaitis. The few relief groups that remain in Iraq are talking seriously about leaving. U.S. forces have effectively ceded entire cities to the insurgents, and much of the country elsewhere is a battleground. Last week the total number of U.S. war dead in Iraq passed the 1,000 mark, reaching 1,007 by the end of Saturday.

U.S. forces are working frantically to train Iraqis for the thankless job of maintaining public order. The aim is to boost Iraqi security forces from 95,000 to 200,000 by sometime next year. Then, using a mixture of force and diplomacy, the Americans plan to retake cities and install credible local forces. That's the hope, anyway.

But the quality of new recruits is debatable. During recent street demonstrations in Najaf, police opened fire on crowds, killing and injuring dozens. The insurgents, meanwhile, are recruiting, too. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld once referred to America's foes in Iraq as "dead-enders," then the Pentagon maintained they probably numbered 5,000, and now senior military officials talk about "dozens of regional cells" that could call upon as many as 20,000 fighters.

Yet U.S. officials publicly insist that Iraq will somehow hold national elections before the end of January. The appointed council currently acting as Iraq's government under interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi is to be replaced by an elected constitutional assembly—if the vote takes place. "I presume the election will be delayed," says the Iraqi Interior Ministry's chief spokesman, Sabah Kadhim. A senior Iraqi official sees no chance of January elections: "I'm convinced that it's not going to happen. It's just not realistic. How is it going to happen?"

Some Iraqis worry that America will stick to its schedule despite all obstacles. "The Americans have created a series of fictional dates and events in order to delude themselves," says Ghassan Atiyya, director of the independent Iraq Foundation for Development and Democracy, who recently met with Allawi and American representatives to discuss the January agenda. "Badly prepared elections, rather than healing wounds, will open them."

America has its own Election Day to worry about. For U.S. troops in Iraq, one especially sore point is the stateside public's obsession with the candidates' decades-old military service. "Stop talking about Vietnam," says one U.S. official who has spent time in the Sunni Triangle. "People should be debating this war, not that one."

His point was not that America ought to walk away from Iraq. Hardly any U.S. personnel would call that a sane suggestion. But there's widespread agreement that Washington needs to rethink its objectives, and quickly. "We're dealing with a population that hovers between bare tolerance and outright hostility," says a senior U.S. diplomat in Baghdad. "This idea of a functioning democracy here is crazy. We thought that there would be a reprieve after sovereignty, but all hell is breaking loose."

It's not only that U.S. casualty figures keep climbing. American counterinsurgency experts are noticing some disturbing trends in those statistics. The Defense Department counted 87 attacks per day on U.S. forces in August—the worst monthly average since Bush's flight-suited visit to the USS Abraham Lincoln in May 2003.

Preliminary analysis of the July and August numbers also suggests that U.S. troops are being attacked across a wider area of Iraq than ever before. And the number of gunshot casualties apparently took a huge jump in August. Until then, explosive devices and shrapnel were the primary cause of combat injuries, typical of a "phase two" insurgency, where sudden ambushes are the rule. (Phase one is the recruitment phase, with most actions confined to sabotage. That's how things started in Iraq.) Bullet wounds would mean the insurgents are standing and fighting—a step up to phase three.

Another ominous sign is the growing number of towns that U.S. troops simply avoid. A senior Defense official objects to calling them "no-go areas." "We could go into them any time we wanted," he argues. The preferred term is "insurgent enclaves." They're spreading. Counterinsurgency experts call it the "inkblot strategy": take control of several towns or villages and expand outward until the areas merge. The first city lost to the insurgents was Fallujah, in April. Now the list includes the Sunni Triangle cities of Ar Ramadi, Baqubah and Samarra, where power shifted back and forth between the insurgents and American-backed leaders last week. "There is no security force there [in Fallujah], no local government," says a senior U.S. military official in Baghdad. "We would get attacked constantly. Forget about it."

U.S. military planners only wish they could. "What we see is a classic progression," says Andrew Krepinevich, author of the highly respected study "The Army and Vietnam." "What we also see is that the U.S. military is not trained or organized to fight insurgencies. That was the deliberate choice after Vietnam. Now we look to be paying the price."

Americans aren't safe even on the outskirts of a city like Fallujah. Early last week a suicide bomber rammed his vehicle into two U.S. Humvees nine miles north of town on the four-lane concrete bypass called Highway 10. Seven Americans died. It was one of the deadliest blows against U.S. forces since June, when Iraqis formally resumed control of their government.

As much as ordinary Iraqis may hate the insurgents, they blame the Americans for creating the whole mess. Three months ago Iraqi troops and U.S.-dominated "multinational forces" pulled out of Samarra, and insurgents took over the place immediately. "The day the MNF left, people celebrated in the streets," says Kadhim, the Interior spokesman. "But that same day, vans arrived in town and started shooting. They came from Fallujah and other places and they started blowing up houses." Local elders begged Allawi's government to send help. "The leaders of the tribes come to see us and they say, 'Really, we are scared, we don't like these people'," Kadhim continues. "But we just don't have the forces at the moment to help them." Last week negotiators reached a tentative peace deal, but it's not likely to survive long. The Iraqi National Guard is the only homegrown security force that people respect, and all available ING personnel are deployed elsewhere.

Will Iraq's troubles get even worse? "The insurgency can certainly sustain what it's doing for a while," says a senior U.S. military official.

Many educated Iraqis aren't waiting to find out. Applicants mobbed the courtyard of the Baghdad passport office last week, desperate for a chance to escape. Police fired shots in the air, trying to control the crowd. "Every day there is shooting, gunfire, people killed, headaches for lack of sleep," said Huda Hussein, 34, a Ph.D. in computer science who has spent the past year and a half looking for work. "I want to go to a calm place for a while." It's too bad for Iraq—and for America—that the insurgents don't share that wish.

link

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

This just seems to completely contradict the thesis of Naomi's article. Nothing you read or hear from the US implies we are acting like Israel in their conflict, in Iraq.

9. AggieRocket

You are right in that it was Lebanese Phalangists who did the killing. However, the killing was done under the urging of Sharon, the weapons used in the killing were supplied by Israel for that very purpose, and Israeli troops supervised the effort. There is no debate on the validity of that. The Israeli Kahan Commission found Sharon and Israeli troops liable for that attack.

Considering that the Israeli government found its own defense minister and its own troops responsible for the massacre, I do not see how the allegations are unproven. Moreover, just because you did not actually pull the trigger does not relieve you of moral culpability. If I give you a gun, point out who to shoot, and then hold the guy down as you pull the trigger, I am just as responsible for his death as you. Same principle with the Phalangists and Israeli troops.

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I think you're confusing Pollard with Aldrich Ames. Pollard gave secrets to Israelis, who had been compromised by the Soviets. He did not give secrets to the Soviets.

As for your general point, it should be obvious that there are numerous reasons for the US to have Israel as an ally: they are a democracy - something scarce in the ME, we have a large Jewish lobby, we have guilt over the holocaust, we have an affinity for the underdog - which Israel undoubtably was when formed and attacked by its Arab neighbors; we can't understand suicide bombers blowing up pizza parlors - but we can understand missles into hamas enclaves, Israel was a good ally in the Cold War fight against the Soviets - our interests merged well with the persecution of Jews in the USSR, culturally we are both nations of immigrants....

11. Tyree

Tyree Member

would love to see your sources....especially about the unmarked planes..

12. AggieRocket

I don't have "secret sources" or anything for these things. These are well-known facts. If you want to verify the validity of the things I listed, just type in "Operation Suzannah" or "USS Liberty", or "Sabra and Chatila" to Dogpile, Google, or any other search engine on the Web.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No offense, AggieRocket, but when referencing specific instances, as you did regarding some Israeli actions in the past that were highly controversial, to say the least (and I'm not saying there isn't some validity to some of what you mention), we are expected to provide links "backing up" what we've posited. Just an FYI. If someone calls you out on it, as someone invaribly will, if the topic is in discussion and "iffy", expect it. Even better, just provide the links. :)

Of course, few here compare to the Link Master, Mango, who has provided several in this thread, directed at a couple of members, who know who they are, that haven't given a decent response... as far as I can tell.

Then, you have instances of discussion such as HayesStreet and I have had in this thread, where we refer to well known historical events, that really don't call for links, unless someone gets picky.

(I think I nailed your hide to the wall, Hayes. ;) )

14. Tyree

Tyree Member

he Israeli attack on the USS Liberty was a grievous error, largely attributable to the fact that it occurred in the midst of the confusion of a full-scale war in 1967. Ten official United States investigations and three official Israeli inquiries have all conclusively established the attack was a tragic mistake.

On June 8, 1967, the fourth day of the Six-Day War, the Israeli high command received reports that Israeli troops in El Arish were being fired upon from the sea, presumably by an Egyptian vessel, as they had a day before. The United States had announced that it had no naval forces within hundreds of miles of the battle front on the floor of the United Nations a few days earlier; however, the USS Liberty, an American intelligence ship assigned to monitor the fighting, arrived in the area, 14 miles off the Sinai coast, as a result of a series of United States communication failures, whereby messages directing the ship not to approach within 100 miles were not received by the Liberty. The Israelis mistakenly thought this was the ship doing the shelling and war planes and torpedo boats attacked, killing 34 members of the Liberty's crew and wounding 171.

Numerous mistakes were made by both the United States and Israel. For example, the Liberty was first reported — incorrectly, as it turned out — to be cruising at 30 knots (it was later recalculated to be 28 knots). Under Israeli (and U.S.) naval doctrine at the time, a ship proceeding at that speed was presumed to be a warship. The sea was calm and the U.S. Navy Court of Inquiry found that the Liberty's flag was very likely drooped and not discernible; moreover, members of the crew, including the Captain, Commander William McGonagle, testified that the flag was knocked down after the first or second assault.

15. AggieRocket

I will not refute anything that you state. All of those are valid reasons for us to be allied with Israel. However, in order to be an ally, you must be able to trust your ally and you must have some sense of assurance that your ally will work for you and your best interests. An ally cannot be a true ally on ideology alone. We cannot trust Israel and because of that, I do not feel that we should be their blind ally. In all honesty, had any Arab country done to America what Israel has done over the years, America would have flattened that country and rightfully so. Support Israel, but stick up for America and American interests when Israel threatens those interests. That's all I say.

16. AggieRocket

I see you are referencing Mitchell Bard :) He is a good man. However, Mitchell is of the slim minority that believes that the attack was accidental. The U.S. Government thought that the action was intentional. The crewmen, including McGonagle, called it intentional. Dean Rusk and Tom Moorer also called it intentional. The only people who call it accidental are members of the Israeli government and a very slim minority elsewhere. According to the crew of the ship, there was no way that the ship could have been mistaken.