1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we hire Mike D'Antoni, should we bring back Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, May 18, 2016.

?

If we hire D'Antoni and Lin opts out, should we bring back Lin?

1. Yes! Third time's the charm!

46.0%
  2. No! Make ClutchFans great again!

54.0%
  1. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

That's oversimplifying usage.

2. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

That is pretty damn interesting. Basically, 6 of the top 11 best pts diff lineup come from Warriors (Curry + Bogut in 6/6), Clippers (Paul, Reddick, Griffin and Jordan in 2/2), Raptors (1), and Hornets (Lin in both, Walker in 1, Batum in 1).

And take this ... that Lin lineup without Walker/Batum that ranked 9 out of 11 in best pts differential lineup for the season featured Lin, Lamb (who was DNP throughout playoffs and not a ball handler), Kaminsky (1st year rookie PF), Marvin Williams (3 & D), and Hawes (journeyman PF/C).

3. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

I'm not sure Harden, Lamb, Kaminsky, Marvin Williams and Hawes would have a top 10 points differential lineup in the NBA ... not saying Lin is anywhere near the player Harden is ...

4. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

He would be the best pg on the roster. Bring him in.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Some posters on here are damn petty. You really care more about some arbitrary message board having an influx of 'LOFs' over the Rockets acquiring what would be an objective upgrade at pg? Really? Get over it. It's a message board. I'm sure Clutch wouldn't mind the added ad revenue. He'll be fine.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well at least this time LOFs can't claim that the Coach hates Lin since the coach would be the guy that made his career.

7. fchowd0311

I really don't care.

8. Fantasma Negro

Lin at pg is actually an idea that could work...if Lin wasn't a turnstile on defense

9. fchowd0311

Charlotte fans would disagree. He was a very competent defender.

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Or did Nash and Lin make D'Antoni's career?

[​IMG]

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Yes. It would make the forums as terrible as the team, which seems appropriate.

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No it's not. Here's the formula for useage:

100 * ((FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV) * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm FGA + 0.44 * Tm FTA + Tm TOV)). ***Note: TM xxx are "team" stats. i.e Tm TOV is "team turnovers"

The only inputs are FGA, FTA, TOV and Minutes played.

Unless you are termininating a possession (i.e. a shot attempt, Ft, or turnover) then it doesn't get included in the calculation.

I could hold the ball for 10 seconds every time I touched it and if I didn't attempt a shot or a FT and didn't turn the ball over then my useage would be zero.

If you look at the formula you'll also notice that it doesn't include assists. I could get an assist on every possession that I'm in the game and my useage would still be zero.

Useage is a valid stat, it's just that it's not a measure of how long a player holds the ball. Rather it's a measure of the percentage of possessions a player consumes while he is on the floor. In this case "consuming a possession" means shooting the ball ( from the floor or ft) or turning it over...nothing else.

The simplest, most accurate way to define useage is this:

What percentage of his team's total turnovers, FGA and FT belong to a player.
    So for Harden, it's what percentage of the Rockets total turnovers, FGA and FT are Harden's.

What did you think that it meant?

Useage can't include how much time a player actually holds the ball because those stats are only available through the NBA's SportsVU (camera system mounted in roofs of NBA arenas). SportsVU is a great but it's only been around for 3 years while Useage has been around since the '77-'78 season.

Here's a link to a page that allows you to calculate various advanced statistics. If you go down to the Useage section and you enter zero for fga, fta and assists (first 3 fields) then you'll end up with a useage of zero regardless of what you enter for the other fields. Give it a try.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/pages/advanced-statistics-calculator

#92 aelliott, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

OH YES!

14. syn

syn Member

LINNING!!!!!

15. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

[​IMG]

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

If we get Stephen Silas, will he bring Lin with him to Houston?

17. Cloudx9

Cloudx9 Member

You pretty much said exactly what I was thinking.

18. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

One bad idea begets another.

19. sew

sew Member

I love how that one of the traits clutchfans look for in a basketball player is whether or not they improve discussion on a message board.

20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I voted yes. I want to see Dallas Kechel beard.