1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we draft Sheppard or Castle, what does that mean for Jalen Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 12, 2024.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

I need to see another season of Jalen before deciding. Right now, it would be giving up too early if we trade him. If he has another season of sucking then you know what you've got and then can move on firmly to Cam at the 2. However, if he shows he is not Jeremy Lin with some consistently good basketball then you have something to work with.

clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which i think is fair, but I'm not sure he has a full season worth of leeway, if he comes out terrible as always, I think they need to be prepared to pull the trigger on him within the first few months.

He's already had 3 years to show he could be a starting caliber player, he has to be one within the first 2 months.

3. bustamove

bustamove Member

thats my point you can win a chip with an efficient off ball SG guard

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He must have upped it a little in his hot month...last I checked, he was under 27 % on wide open threes.

Either way, Sheppard shoots 57 % on wide open threes.

Sengun kicking out to a wide open Jalen 100 times: 102 points.
    Sengun kicking out to a wide open Reed 100 times: 171 points.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

If he comes out playing like **** yet again I will be upset if they spend more than 10 games trying to jump start him yet again.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean yeah, I have never had high hopes, so it is easier for me to cope.....I just ignore him.

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

Maybe, maybe not.
    Why can’t Sheppard have a Podziemski-like rookie campaign? Podziemski was starting over HOFs Klay and CP3 for GSW…
    We do have a crowd at guard but none are particularly good…

8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I don't see a crowded pg position. There's a good chance Holiday will be gone. At this time Amen is definitely better suited at the 3. More of a point forward. Still a work in progress although the sky's the limit especially if he develops a shot.

Reed would slide in perfectly behind VV and get plenty of playing time for a rookie. He will not be starting, but with his shooting he'll definitely get plenty of time. Think he'd make Alp very "Happy". Might bump Alp's assists over 10 for the year.

Anybody want to see Goon avg a trip dub???

Draft Reed!

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Classic narcissism. Try all you like to turn my comment into something it isn’t. Call names, blame, project, infantilize, do all the narcissistic things you do while not enjoying being a fan of the rockets.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Efficient lol dude he’s an all time shooter and was a hell on wheels defender for years and years too. You’re selling Klay Thompson entirely short. Put some ‘speck on it.

Cam averaged less than one assist per game. Klay has a HOF career with over 2.

It’s weird how when one gives a pretty medium temperature take, such as “a rookie who was known to not pass much should pass more if he wants to be a full time guard” is taken so far out of context that now I’m defending Klay F. Thompson.

Klay Thompson, for real. As if Whitmore has done literally anything to have that comparison made. If Cam was doing it like that and I was complaining I’d deserve this bullshit. Some fuggin regular ass rookie getting donated Klay Thompson credit. Holy smokes.

heypartner likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is it me or are some Sengun fans trying really hard to prop all the young guys who aren't that special on the ball because they just want a full time heliocentric Sengun where the only human that is allowed to put the ball in the floor is Sengun?

Is that why they try really hard to make guys like Sheppard and Whitmore the starting two?

Because Green is for all intents and purposes the only one outside of Sengun that has superstar potential with the ball in their hands?

Even Jokic needs Murray's on ball creation.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  12. cml750

cml750 Member

Being a near 50 year Rockets fan with Sengun as my favorite player at the moment, I can say I would love for Jalen to be all he can be. This team would explode and maybe challenge this year if Jalen could play with his streak energy consistently all year because Sengun is going to make another big leap this year. We would have a major big two. The problem is Jalen has not been a consistent partner and drug the team down for most of the season with extremely poor shooting. All we need is a consistently good Jalen playing no less than 50% of his streak level all season and the complaints about him would go away.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lulz. Danksranaut is smoking his opposition

Anyone who disagrees with his post above is part of what makes the Internet so boring for bball talk.

I mean, these semantic discussions about what player types (or team types) can be part of winning titles devolves into pretty much any generalized type can.

And actually that is probably true, but it also means these discussions of who is a winning type have no meaning, if I can make a case for every prototype.

Dankstronaut, NewAge and JayZ750 like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My guy, you're the one trying to spin things here. Your original comment was stupid, so I called you out for saying something stupid. That's really the end of it.

You said that Cam needed traditional PG skills to play ANY guard position.... there's not a scenario where that isn't a stupid statement.

I get it, casuals see the recent trend of combo guards and they don't understand that they are the exception so they assume every SG needs to be James Harden.... or what Jalen Green wishes he was. It's really dumb, but I understand how someone like you got fooled into thinking that.

Most shooting guards don't have point guard skills... but almost all of them can shoot.... with shooting guards having the second highest average 3 point percentage only slightly behind point guards.

Notably, shooting guards only average 2.5 assists per game only slightly higher than Cam's 1.4 assists per 36 as a teenage rookie.

It's okay that you said a dumb thing, it happens to all of us at one time or another.... but continuing to double down on stupid is a bad look.

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Competition - that is what this all means, Jalen for once needs to compete for playing time, which he has never earned.

DD

No Worries and Corpusfan like this.
  16. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think many posters' prior is that Jalen Green is not gonna be a legit NBA starter let alone a superstar, notwithstanding beaing a "creator" archetype. And if people agree with you that we don't have others with such profile, the logical conclusion is that we need to ramp-up SenHub to the max and surround Alpe with players who can finish.

One thing that I have been saying is that Jabari needs more possessions, probably. Not a super option so far by any means, but very young and there is a possibility of the proverbial "3rd yr leap"

Castle from this draft has some tools, can dribble and cook defenders a bit, and makes good passes. Can't score though. In any case, however, he's probably good for a typical Jalen Green 4-13 line and would from day 1 be a massive upgrade over Green in defense and winning fundamentals. So that's an option for a more "creative" type...

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

As a Rocket fan where do you think most neutral fans who follow the league closely would draft Green in this draft class?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As a draft bust, he has pretty low value around the league. I think if the Rockets were able to get a lottery first rounder for him, they should jump on that in a heartbeat.

NewAge, clutchdabear and JayZ750 like this.
  19. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think 2021 Green who is 19 goes first.

But we're in 2024. He's the Han Solo action figure that has been taken out of the box and played with. Just a piece of cheap plastic...

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's kind of hard to say because he has been in the league for three years and it's still about his "potential". We can see it in the discussions here and on Twitter. I saw someone say on Twitter yesterday or so that he still believes Jalen will be a top 10 player in the league. Pretty sure there are a few posters here who also think that. Others think he is already a proven bust.

Personally, I still don't know for sure either. I want him to be great, because that would be good for the Rockets. But he has certainly been frustrating at times.

I guess all it would take is for one GM to be in the former camp, and he could go top 5.

cml750 likes this.