1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we can, should we take a flier ???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Cisse's second chance: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/marty_burns/07/10/nba.summer/index.html

It's NBA summer league time, which means lots of stories about players trying to keep alive their NBA dreams. In other words, lots of stories about guys like Ousmane Cisse.

If that melodic name rings a bell, it should. At one time Cisse (pronounced see-say) was a hot prospect in NBA circles, a McDonald's All-American. Now, he's better known as a poster child -- along with Korleone Young and Leon Smith -- for the NBA's stay-in-school program.

ADVERTISER LINKS
    Second Chance on eBay
    Find Second Chance items at low prices. With over 5 million items for sale every day, you'll find...
    www.ebay.com

Motor Yacht Second Chance
    Motor Yacht Second Chance and a complete listing of the world's desirable charter yachts at...
    www.sevenseascharters.com

Prices On Second Chance System Utilities
    Get accurate and unbiased pricing and merchant reviews from Pricegrabber, the top comparison...
    www.pricegrabber.com

Buy "A Second Chance" Signed by Author
    The fiction adventure novel, "A Second Chance" can be previewed online free. "A Second Chance" and a...
    www.home.ix.netcom.com

Cisse will be trying to shed that label when he takes the court as a member of the Golden State Warriors at this year's L.A. Summer League, which tips off Saturday. "I'm just looking for an opportunity," said Cisse.

For those who don't remember the details, Cisse's story is borderline tragic. As a senior at St. Jude High in Montgomery, Ala., the 6-foot-9, 250-pound man-child averaged 29 points, 16 rebounds and 12 blocked shots per game. He was considered one of the best big men in the country -- along with the likes of Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry -- and was recruited by Duke, Louisville, North Carolina and Cincinnati, among others.

But in a game midway through his senior year he went up for an alley-oop and landed awkwardly on his left knee. The diagnosis: Torn ACL. Cisse tried to come back that season, but it was clear he wasn't the same player.

This is where Cisse's story gets sad. Instead of putting his NBA dreams on hold and going to college, where he could rehabilitate his knee and further his education, he listened to the advice of his (now former) agent and declared for the 2001 draft.

With raw skills and a bum knee, he was quickly exposed in NBA workouts. His stock plummeted. The Nuggets took a flier on him in the second round (No. 47 overall), but released him in training camp.

Cisse, now 21, admits it was a bad idea. The son of educated parents in Mali, Africa, he didn't need the money. He should have known, he said, that he wasn't going to make it with a bad knee and that the NBA wasn't going to wait around for him.

"It was not a good choice," he said. "If I'd gone to college, they would have had time to work with me, make my leg strong and after one or two years I'd have been ready to go to next level."

Now Cisse must chase his NBA dreams the hard way. Since washing out in Denver, he has slowly worked his knee back into playing shape while earning paychecks in Russia and the USBL. Last year he landed a spot on the Magic's summer league team. Though he didn't make the final roster, former Orlando GM John Gabriel was impressed.

"He's as close as they get physically, and does a great job," Gabriel said. "He just has to learn to put it together on a consistent basis."

Cisse's sculpted NBA body, work ethic and 7-foot-4 wingspan were enough to convince the Warriors to give him another shot this year. Former NBA star Kermit Washington, who has been working out with Cisse in the D.C. area this summer, predicts they won't be disappointed. Washington says Cisse could be another Ben Wallace.

"This kid is a phenomenal athlete, he's the hardest-working kid I've ever seen and he's a sponge when it comes to learning," Washington said. "He blocks shots like he's got a racket in his hands. All he needs is a chance."

Cisse says he just wants to prove to the NBA doubters that he's back. He says his knee is now 100 percent, and that he's improved his offensive game around the basket. He longs for the day when he won't hear Dickie V. and others mention his name with preps-to-pros busts Young and Smith.

"I was one of the top players coming out of high school," said Cisse. "I was up there with Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, all those guys. What happened was I got hurt. I wasn't healthy. I couldn't compete like I used to.

"Now, I'm 100 percent. My knee is strong. I'm a different player. I know I can make it. All I need is an opportunity."

The NBA summer league is full of similar stories, but Cisse's might be the most distressing. Only time will tell if he can write a happy ending.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

3. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Lock thread. thanks for pointing that out to me.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well it was on page three, so it's not really your fault... but you may as well post in that one if you got some legitimate thoughts and get it back on the first page. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.