1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If this is the final roster can we win a title?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by texanskan, Jul 8, 2008.

Tags:
?

Can this roster win a title

1. Yes-we need to just stay Healthy

149 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No-needs more than Barry

170 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Alston/Jackson/Brooks
    T-Mac/Barry/Francis
    Battier/Greene/Novak
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Yao/Dorsey/Deke

Sign Barry and Landry then Trade Luther, cut Woods and Harris

I think that team is good enough

Yao/Scola/Battier/T-Mac/Alston/Barry/Landry/insert backup point is a dam good 8 man rotation with options to put in another big

2. sleepirlo

sleepirlo Member

We need Kirk Hinrich to stop TP,DW,CP.......

3. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I don't think we'll have the same roster by the trading deadline.

But if there are no injuries, and no choking by the role players, then yes we can win the title with that roster. We just have to get a top seed first and get an easy first round opponent.

4. astros148

astros148 Member

Nope. Lol @ anyone who thinks we can. The western conference just got stronger.

5. maarrrtiin

maarrrtiin Member

i say we should try to either sign josh childress or trade for ben gordon because we need a 3rd scorer/someone to take over for tmac when hes on the bench, can't be playing tmac 40 minutes a game for the whole season and expect him to be fully healthy come playoff time IMO.

atl's gm said he'll match any offer teams propose to josh smith and josh childress, but insiders say the atl front office will let them walk if the offers exceed atl's pockets.

chicago is rumored to keep hinrich (esp with duhon signing with NY) and open to trading gordon. chicago doesnt seem like a team who is ready to contend for a championship as they are probably 2 or 3 years away, so we could offer them some expiring contracts and some expendable players?

6. stussysupreme

stussysupreme Member

i think it really depends on the development of landry, scola and brooks.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Assuming everyone's healthy and doesn't totally suck going into the playoffs, I personally think we have a good shot. I think the Lakers have the most talent. But the next group includes us with Utah and NO. Dallas, SA, and Phoenix are teams I feel will continue their decline due to age. And Portland is still too young.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think it might depend on the development of Greene as well.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

switch brooks for dorsey and I agree.

to the original question I am up in the air. I said no but I think a healthy rockets team is pretty close. who knows if that will ever happen...

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Expiring contracts and expendable players like Head for example are more likely to be useful around February. I think Chicago might look for frontcourt help right now if they can get it by trading Gordon.

11. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

San Antonio will be better once they land Maggette. I dont expect to see much improvememnt from NO, Utah, Dallas, Phoenix they will be the same as last year.

I suspect if anything happens like Yao goes down again then if we trade T-Mac anywhere it will be to Portland just because they are the first team the Rockets will turn to do to their youth. Also, Because it would indicate rebuild mode and Battier would be gone with him as well. Portland will improve, but i dont see them winning the West as of yet not untill another 3 years or so atleast 2. If they make the right trade i think they would consider making it for T-Mac and Battier to go along with Roy, Oden, Aldridge.

12. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

The expiring contracts are really more valuable in Feb ,but we may have said goodbye so the playoffs by then.I don't think the guys that are in our team right now,even including Landry, can bring us to the playoffs ,so we need great trade.Landry is capable ,energetic and potential ,despite his injury he is a key-roster to rockets.But we can't even make sure we will get the admit to the playoffs when considering the other western teams. Mavs signed Diop and Green but they are just predicted to rank the bottom of the playoff list.Clippers signed Davis and are likely to re-sign Brand.Even nuggets are persuing artest. After Oden 's coming back ,no one could evaluate how good this young team will be in the next season.San Antonio will be better once they land Maggette,only the suns seem to stand still or even slope down ,but they are still strong enough to join the playoffs with Nash and Amare.So I 'm not optimistic for our next season unless we trade bjax ,Landry(signed with MLE) ,Brooks,Head ,Woods ,Hayes as a package for Harrinton and Jackson from Warrors.

now that we have adequate rosters ,so adequete that we will have to release some before starting the next season.Trading them is by all means better than releasing them.As don nealson will rebuild his team ,he willl be glad to accept our offer.That is a great deal ,isn't it?

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

That is not as good as Bayless, Rush, Batum, Fernandez, LaFrentz, Pryzbillia, Outlaw, Webster though. If Yao goes down again i expect Morey will pull the Trigger for T-Mac and Battier to Portland. Adelman i believe will want to start fresh and not a post Van Gundy era. Consider LaFrentz expiring and Fernandez age, Youth of Bayless, Rush, Batum and somewhat Outlaw and Webster and Pryzbillia is a pretty good rebuild package.

I dont think Warriors will remove 2 key pieces for our table scraps and Landry.

I would rather keep Brooks.

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

No, no, no, and no! That roster if healthy (that's a big if) might make it out of the first round.

The roster has severe deficiencies. T-Mac is still the ONLY playmaker! His fragile body can only do so much. Rafer and Battier don't give you enough offense. This team still needs an upgrade at the 1 and 3 positions. The bench is extremely weak as well. Almost all those bench players are either unproven or real old.

I don't think this will be the final roster. I think the Rockets will be making a big move sometime before the trade deadline. They're going to go after a 3rd scorer to compliment Yao and T-Mac. Artest will hopefully be the first choice.

I believe the Maloofs are going to have a tough decision to make. Either give Artest to the Lakers and help push the coach and team that eliminated you on more than one occasion over the top or help the team coached by the guy that used to be part of your organization who left on bad terms into a title contender. If the decision is based purely on assets, I think the Lakers will have the advantage in the Artest sweepstakes.

15. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I would much rather Vince Carter be the first choice he is not as much of a risk as Artest.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

LOL at you. Nobody is adding a bigger piece than we are this year. We're adding Yao. Health is a big if with this team, but if we're healthy we can compete with anyone.

17. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Wow first post ever...and you have been a member for 7months. You really are a lurker!!

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Other posters danced around it. But its simple. We will trade Jackson eventually, likely in a package. Thats obvious from the way we are stockpiling contracts.

Whatever Morey gets in return IMO will be enough to make us contenders.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

IF that happens, (and we stay healthy), based on last year's projections, we are as good as anyone.

But I have my doubts that there is a trade to be made.

20. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Let the Lakers have him with a added contract.

Then they will have trouble

A) resigning Artest
    B) resigning Bynum
    C) resigning Ariza

If they are going to pursue him fine with me i'm in no panic mode.

Chances are though, who ever lands him might not be able to resign him which puts the Rockets last on the list of resigning him plus the probability of lossing Brooks, Battier or Scola isn't worth it to me.

Artest is being used as a smoke screen. If Lakers land him by the deadline, Rockets have a better shot as signing him next season, but not better then who ever has Odom, Marion etc .. on their roster.