1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If there were to be a NBA re-draft, would you take TMac at #1 overall?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, May 14, 2005.

?

Would you spend your #1 overall redraft pick on TMac if there were one?

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. No

114 vote(s)
    59.7%
  1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

LOL

Amare averaged 16 points per game when Nash was out of the lineup. He is at best a mediocre defender, has little to no ability to get his own shot, is not a great passer and is an average rebounder from the 4 spot. Picking him above Garnett, TMac, and pretty much everyone else on your list besides Shaq (too old) is a joke. Worst. Fantasy Draft. Ever.

In answer to the thread, Duncan is the obvious choice for #1. KG and LeBron are good choices for #2 and #3. TMac is #4 at best.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

There is NO way someone would draft a 29 year old TD over LeBron (or Amare). If you start all players at 20--Shaq is the obvious choice. TD is the only pick if you want to win right now.

I admit I used think Amare was pretty overrated and Yao long term will be better. But some times reality trumps stereotype.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

how funny is it to see amare stoudamire as someone to build around over t-mac? unbelievable. talk about buying into the hype. amare is an amazing player in the absolute PERFECT system with the PERFECT pg taylored to his skills. i'd argue that it probably can't get any better for him. you don't get steve nash with him when you draft him.

4. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

MJ or Hakeem... of all time...

Now...

in this order...

Duncan
    Bryant
    McGrady
    James
    Yao

5. insane man

insane man Member

coming out of college/high school lets say at age 20:

shaq
    duncan
    lbj

and after watching wade so far i might take him before tmac.

6. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

name one thing that Wade is better at than T-Mac and then I'll name the ones T-Mac is better at. Kid can't shoot

7. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

1) Garnett
    2) Duncan
    3) Lebron
    4) Wade
    5) McGrady
    6) Amare
    7) Yao
    8) Shaq
    9) Kobe
    10) Nash
    11) Nowitzki
    12) Iverson
    13) Marion
    14) Kidd
    15) Pierce
    16) Jermaine O'neal
    17) Ray Allen
    18) Kirilenko
    19) Ben Wallace
    20) Peja

8. insane man

insane man Member

he's 23. thats why. i definitely agree tmac right now is better. but this is his second year in the league! tmac has played 8 years now. and at least 6 of them have been with big minutes.

and how can he not shoot? his shooting percentage was what near 48%? tmac had a horrible shooting year. for his size he rebounds great. his assists numbers were fantastic as well. and again this is his second year!

and i understand that having shaq helped him tremendously this year. but i think wade has a chance to be potentially better.

9. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

He's 2 years younger than T-Mac. They're the same generation.

You are basing your argument on numbers. Players are not evaulated strictly on numbers. Jerry Stackhouse averaged 30ppg 4 years ago. Does that mean that he was better than all the great players? Wade benefits greatly by playing with Shaq. He is never double teamed when Shaq is on the floor. Tracy has accomplished everything on his own.
    Shooting percentage is not a direct reflection of how good a shooter is. If that was the measurement, then Wade is a better shooter than Ray Allen, Peja Stojakovic and Michael Redd. He has open lanes to the bucket due to Shaq, so half of his shots are layups or dunks. There is no other player this year in the NBA who has shot more airballs than Wade.

I am not undermining Wade. T-Mac is elite.

Watch the game tonight and look at the percentage of jumpshots beyond 16 feet. Let me know how well he shoots

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Such a dumb thread to be quiet honest, because I REALLY don't get the what you are implying by asking this question. Are you not happy to have a top 5 player in the league (who is only 25) on the Rockets?:confused:

Boy, with the type of threads that have been popping up lately, it sure is going to be a loooooooong off season:eek:

11. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Reece Gaines could be better than both of them.:rolleyes:

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't know, seems like a reasonable philosophical thread to me. At least we won't spend all summer on regurgitated old threads;)

You know Karl Malone had the perfect system too. Some times it is easier to create the system than the player the system works for. The guy is 22 and put up 26 & 9 in the season, and now is bettering that as well as playing some defense in the playoffs. Further, he is destroying the team we couldn't handle. Nash was fabulus the other day as well, but I am starting think Amare gets too little credit for the Suns success. I am first in line that he stole the ROY from Yao, but dude is a rare force now.

I just hope Johnson comes back so they are full force whent he play the Spurs. TD-Amare could be reminescent to when TD faced the Malone off Malaone (undeserved) 2nd MVP season, and showed the changing of the guard despite the experts (but not me;) ) all picking Utah. This has to seriously be considered if you follow the two players this season and playoffs.

#32 Desert Scar, May 14, 2005
    Last edited: May 14, 2005
  13. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Tiger, I am not sure what's your complaint here. I am way happy to have TMac on the team, and I am not implying anything by asking a Rockets related question.

Personally, after watching the playoffs, I started growing the feeling that I wouldn't take anyone over TMac to build a franchise around. He's young, very skilled and have the top physical talent in the league. Mentally, he showed me alot as well. He's very clutch and is becoming a great leader. Although we lost that game 7, but I don't think it was his fault.

So, here you have it. I'd take TMac #1 over anyone else in the league. All I wanted to see is if anyone else share the same feeling as I do. How isn't it legit and how does it deserve your complaints?

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

Mcgrady probably is the better individual player, but I would say Wade right now is a better winner. He won throughout his college career. He carried his team to victory in the playoffs last year. With Shaq out, he's basically carried his team to victory during this year's playoffs. The guy just flat out knows how to win.

15. Ownage

Ownage Member

Btw, Amare averaged 20 points last season without nash even on the team.....
    Amare is in the top5 players in the league. Just look at how he is owning the mavs. 35+ points 16 rebounds 2.3 blocks a game. I would look to take him number 1. A player who steps up in the playoffs, a winner. Lebron and Amare, the future of the nba.

16. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

and he was also very famous for collecting points in garbage time last year too. But this year he is certainly top10, say top5 is a little bit high. I am wondering what would happen if no Marion aside him.

17. tigermission1

There is no doubt in my min that the best young backcourt/frontcourt players in the league right now are Lebron/Wade in the backcourt, and Amare in the front court.

So just to go along with the theme of the thread, If I absolutely had to pick one guy right now it would be Amare Stoudamire. In a couple of seasons MAX he will be easily the best front court player in the league, better than KG and Duncan.

18. tigermission1

He would average even MORE points and a lot more rebounds;)

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Moochie Norris

20. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Duncan for me....

1997 NBA Draft

1. San Antonio Tim Duncan Wake Forest
    2. Philadelphia Keith Van Horn Utah <--- :D
    3. Boston Chauncey Billups Colorado
    4. Vancouver Antonio Daniels Bowling Green
    5. Denver Tony Battie Texas Tech
    6. Boston (from Dallas) Ron Mercer Kentucky
    7. New Jersey Tim Thomas Villanova
    8. Golden State Adonal Foyle Colgate
    9. Toronto Tracy McGrady Mount Zion Academy (HS) Our High-schooler has to prove himself
    10. Milwaukee Danny Fortson Cincinnati
    11. Sacramento Olivier Saint-Jean San Jose State
    12. Indiana Austin Croshere Providence
    13. Cleveland Derek Anderson Kentucky
    14. LA Clippers Maurice Taylor Michigan
    15. Dallas (from Minnesota) Kelvin Cato Iowa State
    16. Cleveland (from Phoenix) Brevin Knight Stanford
    17. Orlando Johnny Taylor Tennessee-Chattanooga
    18. Portland Chris Anstey (Australia)
    19. Detroit Scot Pollard Kansas
    20. Minnesota (from Charlotte) Paul Grant Wisconsin
    21. New Jersey (from Lakers) (a) Anthony Parker Bradley