1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Rockets win a top 3 pick in the draft, what should they do with it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dham01, May 19, 2012.

1. dham01

dham01 Member

I know it's a LONG shot but I was thinking about this last night. If we got the 1 pick, we keep Davis. He will be a superstar. We don't stop there. I'm in the camp that we have a real shot at Howard.

A one year rental of Howard is still very risky. I don't see a lot team giving up significant pieces to do so. There are even fewer teams willing to take back bad contracts also. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any other team that would do both. We should package Lowry, Martin, Dalembert, Patterson or Morris, and the Dallas pick for Howard and Turk. Then dump Scola to say Sacramento ( they need vets) for a future pick and maybe jimmer. Sign DWILL. Resign CLee and Camby This is the pipe dream scenario:
    DWill/Jimmer
    Clee/16th pick
    Parsons/Turk(Bud) doesn't matter
    Davis/Dmo
    Howard/camby
    INSTANT CONTENDER!

If we got the 2 or 3 pick, I say we package it for a superstar. This is where I'm kind of torn. Including it in a package for Howard would pretty much lock us in for the top of the "Dwight sweepstakes", but for a rental and Howard's back??? That may be too much. But say we decide to go for Howard:
    We package Martin/dalembert and 2 or 3 pick for Howard. Then we sign DWILL. Resign Clee and Camby. We use a combination of Lowry, Patterson, Morris, Scola to move up in the draft.
    DWill/?
    Clee/?
    Parsons/Bud
    DMo/?(Dmo)
    Howard/Camby
    Use whatever moves you make to fill in the blanks.

I know that all of this is a LONG shot, but bad luck ravished our franchise. A little good luck could turn it all around. These are my thoughts, I'm curious to hear yours. What's up, clutch fans!

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we get the second or third pick, we could potentially trade for Pau and Dwight. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

3. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Trade it for both of the Blazers pick. Draft Beal and Zeller.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They should go to Disneyland.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Chris Bosh, welcome!

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Keep it, unless Dwight is willing to sign an extension with us.

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Dont curr. I will die from over fap joy.

1 person likes this.
  8. MrJason

MrJason Member

I'd rather have MKG/Beal/or Drummond on rookie scale contracts than 1) a one year rental of Dwight who is going to leave for a big market city anyways or 2) Pau who is going to sulk up and quit playing because he got his feelings hurt

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

MKG/Beal/or Drummond and the Rockets would have just about rebuilt on the fly.

j/k but with the 16th pick and $14 million cap room and Motiejunas we might just be there.

Koolaid here I come ...

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Trade it for Battier.

1 person likes this.
  11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Trade it for some over the hill veteran. Watch the young guy drafted in our place take his team to the playoffs. Over the hill star we acquire moves on long before our draft pick somebody else uses turns into a star himself.

12. oelman44

oelman44 Member

While were add it we should just trade for Lebron and Durant

1 person likes this.
  13. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

we are not getting a top pick, why are you wasting your time thinking about this? lets be real we are getting the 14th pick as a tradition

1 person likes this.
  14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

The only man willing to spit the truth. This is the correct answer for 99% of us.

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

pick someone really good.

17. gregas

gregas Member

They don't.

/end thread

18. 5KR4TCH

5KR4TCH Contributing Member

Let's win that pick first.

19. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Just curious, how many of you guys on this thread think that the Draft positions are predetermined?

I think that it isn't totally out of the question that the top 3 picks have pretty much already been decided by commissioner Stern and they will most likely fall to the 3 following teams (though the order is still in question):

1. Nets
    2. Hornets
    4. Bobcats

The Nets have a good shot at getting one of the top 3 picks because bot only will they be opening a new arena their trade to Portland is TOP 3 protected. I am kind of shocked not enough attention has been given to the fact that the pick is top 3 protected so it made it seem as if they traded away the future for a 30 yr old Gerald Wallace. I guarantee you that the pick will be a top 3 pick (a promise was made) and therefore the Nets end up with one of the top 3 picks to go with Deron Williams and Gerald Wallace.

The Hornets will end up with a top 3 pick simply due to the fact that the team is being sold and needs a young core to be build around. This is the only way the league saves some face when they shot the Rockets deal down for the Clippers deal.

The Bobcats are simply a mess. Nobody in their right mind would pay to see that garbage on the floor every night. The Theory of Probability states that Michael Jordan will eventually get one of those top picks right. You can only suck so much for so long before your franchise folds.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Its pretty bad to be a Bobcat. I have no idea how to change that franchise but it would take a once in a lifetime player falling to them. Someone who is good enough to even overshadow Micheal Jordan because he was at least good enough to talk about besides the owner. Tough task.