1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the next head coach wants to be a GM is morey gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How many coaches do you trust to be GM?
    How many are currently working in the NBA? In Recent years?

Who are the coaches you are interested in giving this deal too?
    Has JVG or THIBS ever done any GMing?

One thing I can say about Morey . . .he seems to be pretty good with Contracts and flexibility
    Will the Coach?

Alot of questions before we get there

Rocket River

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Generally these coaches want to be President and Coach. They usually have a GM to help with scouting and they just get a bigger say in what gets done. The person who holds that job for us is married to Les' daughter. He isn't going anywhere.

3. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I don't think anyone should be both a coach and GM.

Too many hours are required to be successful both as a coach and as a GM, and while some of the duties overlap, they should not be lumped together.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've seen Morey go out and get a Bobby Jackson for Rick Adelman or Shane Battier for Van Gundy. He's fully capable of collaborating with coaches and even players (Smith).

The less involved the coach has been the more successful the team has become IMO (trading away Alston).

People want to pigeonhole Morey as someone who only relies on analytics, or cant work with coaches, or doesn't value coaching, or insists on running a specific system, or that he loses trades, cant draft, cant lure free agents....

Too often facts and history are ignored. If you actually judge him using his complete resume, as you should, he's one of the most adaptable GM's in the league.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Before I say anything, are you saying that the puppet coach and Morey puppeteer act is one that is more successful than having a coach that can actually...well..."coach?"

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I hope so, this spread sheet managment is killing this team.

DD

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was referring to Morey making "Morey" transactions as opposed to getting system guys (he's done both).

I'm addressing a potential coach's autonomy to tinker with the personnel. Not whether or not we need to hire a competent coach that can bring structure. For example - Adelman wanted Alston/Jackson, etc... Morey forces the hand - Brooks & Lowry (later Dragic) get PT -- point guard play improves.

I prefer we hire a proven coach. Always have. Never liked McHale but the fact of the matter, to answer your question... technically - yes, the puppet enjoyed the most success. Western Conference Finals.

Just don't forget you're talking about the same GM that offered JVG an extension and also hired Rick Adelman.

Finally, referring to McHale as a puppet is an overstatement. To think he didn't have a high level of autonomy is false. Even McHale's comments 2 days ago support that. The fact that JB has changed the scheme supports that.

But yeah, let's pigeonhole the guy for no good reason.

#27 Ziggy, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Rockets record 8 seasons prior to Morey:
    .54 winning percentage
    4 playoff appearances
    0 playoff series wins

Rockets record 8 seasons since Morey became GM (including this partial season)
    .58 winning percentage
    4 playoff appearances
    3 playoff series wins
    1 WCF appearance

Morey sure is "killing this team."