1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Battier trade never happened..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Bob

Bob Member

Which of course shows how little foresight the Rockets management has.

2. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

I just took you to my ignore list when you started using Battier's stats to prove your case. If you watched a single game this year you would no there is absolutley no way to use the man's stats for him or against him they have nothing at all to do with his game.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given how much the Rockets typically drop off once they go to the bench, having to play 35 more minutes a game of Fat Bonzi, Luther Head, Snyder, Gay or Sefolosha would very likely have made the difference given the competition in the West. These guys are unlikely to come up with the package of critical plays that Battier provided.

The +/-, unadjusted should be taken with a grain of salt. It might look llike the Rockets were OK with Battier on the bench... but that's for 12 mpg or so, and a big chunk of that was probably 2nd quarter when all teams typically rest starters. Having to send the Rockets secon/third stringers up against first string competition for more minutes would lilkely have made a bigger difference than the +4.2.

The "net production" is pretty much a meaningless stat. 82games.com had him playing all his minutes as either SF or PF when in reality he spent a great deal of time checking opposing SG.

4. Locke

Locke Member

Almost as dumb as the people who post that Francis is the key to the Rockets success.

5. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

WZZ 27pts 7rb > Guy 21pts 6rbs

WZZ for MLE should be a steal..... :D

6. Bob

Bob Member

I would instead say that stats only have meaning if they are indicative of comparing future performance. In this case while the numbers make these two appear to be very similar they instead play completely different games. One is defensive minded the other offensive. Another significant issue is that Rudy is nine years younger and has his best years ahead of him. Shane will have 3-5 premium years left. Of course the overriding question is who has the most value going forward. Without looking at stats or anything else consider what Memphis would want right now in exchange for Rudy. It would be a whole lot more than Shane.

7. sun12

sun12 Member

That's even better with a lottery pick this year.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Um, NO team with Stromile Swift starting at forward will ever be NBA champs.

9. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I want to stab this thread in the neck.

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sorry No! But possibly...... might be Champions...........

Mr X, Brooks
    T Mac, James
    Gay, Novac
    Darko, Hayes
    Yao, Mr Y

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

he's not :confused:

:D

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Correct. But we would have drafted Thabo Sefolosha, who is an excellent defender and fairly efficient offensively depsite being stuck on a team loaded with guards and swingmen.

-The line up would have been
    Alston Head
    Sefolosha Head
    Tmac Wells Snyder
    Hayes Howard Swift
    Yao Deke

-Now we also would have been totally freed up for Swift or Howard for James.
    Alston James
    Sefolosha Head James
    Tmac Wells Snyder
    Hayes Swift
    Yao Deke Swift

That team definetly makes the playoffs.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

There was a time not too long ago when the majority of the board felt that way!!!!!!!!! :p
    I didn't of courtse!! :)

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

You forgot the lottery (or near-lottery, whatever) pick from this year.

15. Dei

Dei Member

Yeah. And the Rockets' would have had a lottery pick.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You know, for as much second guessing that some of you people like to do about this Battier trade imagine what it's like to be a Celtics fan. They essentially traded Brandon Roy for freakin Sebastian Telfair and now they're about to cut or trade him. At least we ended up with a solid and useful consummate role player instead of nothing at all.

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Uh, I call BS on your BS. Clearly Battier was the glue and had a fundamental effect. His +- on the court was really something.

18. kingkow

kingkow Member

I would take terrence Kansey instead of rudy gay. Thats how **** i think gay is

19. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Are u freaking kidding me???????????!!!!! get out of here man.... no comment :rolleyes:

20. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Yeah that comment was way off. However if you look at TMac's 2nd year compared to Gay's 1st year the stats are fairly comparable. I kinda doubt he will explode on the offensive end like TMac did, but I could see him staying a very flashy and exciting defensive player. TMac used to be compared to Pippen. Maybe Gay will follow that path. We'll see how far he can make it.