1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If teams are tanking for Wemby the Rockets should....?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 5, 2022.

?

What would you do as teams position themselves to tank for Wemby/Henderson

Poll closed Dec 7, 2022.
  1. A. Take advantage of those rolling the dice on very low odds.

50 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. B. Tank with them - let's take our shot too

143 vote(s)
    74.1%
  1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Don’t play vets, if our record is too good shut guys down/rest guys including even green. Basically, whatever it takes

theDude likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Well Smith and Green need to play.... I am advocating trading players like Gordon and Favors and playing the younger players. That is what I mean by tank.

3. xaos

xaos Member

As a person who thinks Victor is the best prospect since Lebron and also recognizes that even though 14% chance is small... its probably greater than the possibility of acquiring him while hes in the NBA...

Instead of sitting Green, wouldn't it be better to keep him playing but have him focused on his weakness? Ex: say Green is averaging 25 ppg but has a hard time finding players in the corner or attacking with his left... just have him focused on that. It promotes growth from Green and likely has the same results on the W L column

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think if Chet is healthy, he's trouble. Otherwise, he's bench fodder.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Of course, but if needed, I would simply do whatever it takes at the end of the day, nothing would be off limits

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

When playing good teams, just play our best, probably won't be able to win. When playing bad teams, brick a lot of shots, and make bad passes, especially in crunch time. They were doing a lot of that last year.

7. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Sitting Gordon, Wood, and Schroeder at the end of last year was literally letting the kids play and taking the results as they come. I don't understand why you think that is intentional tanking, and what exactly you propose will be all that different this year. I am so much more positive on the future of this team because they allowed Jalen the chance to be the primary option on offense and he killed it, even if we lost every single one of those games. If we had let Wood continue to hog the ball, let Jalen score in the teens, and scratched out a 2-5 record instead of 0-7, I find it hard to believe that anyone would be feeling better.

Teams that are tanking do not trade away future unprotected picks to dump veterans, that's insane. If you want to be worse, you don't need to give up extremely valuable assets, you just shut the veterans down and don't play them, or buy them out. This is like saying that a team could have taken advantage of the Rockets by offering to take on John Wall's contract and extract an unprotected pick from the Rockets last year. It doesn't make any logical sense.

Exploitative behavior of teams that are looking to tank is Atlanta picking up Murray, Cleveland picking up Mitchell, or Detroit getting Bogdanovic. Getting good veterans at a discount by giving up draft capital. If you wanted to exploit this market, it would be trading the Rockets unprotected pick this year for immediate help under the assumption the team is ready to compete for a play-in spot and our draft pick is not going to be all that valuable. I am absolutely not on board for that.

Y2JT, Corrosion and theDude like this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Best case scenario for the Rockets (and where I think they missed an opportunity last year) would be for a contender to lose a player for the year and be desperate to fill the void. We could trade Gordon for a player that won’t be able to play, which just pushes us to develop guys who would not have gotten the opportunity. Green can still go off for 20+ and the team still loses.

I was really disappointed last year when the Rockets weren’t able to (or simply didn’t) move EG for Rubio after his injury. I thought that should have been an easy deal to make.

Corrosion, kjayp and jcmoon like this.
  10. xaos

xaos Member

And I respect that opinion

Rokman likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wemby yes....not sold on Henderson yet.

DD

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. i3artow i3aller

:eek:

[​IMG]

#112 i3artow i3aller, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would consider trading away expiring contract veterans and playing young players to be normal rebuilding, but that's semantics. Whether calling it tank or a normal rebuild, I don't think trading Gordon and Favors will be enough to get a bottom 3 record.

14. i3artow i3aller

15. Nook

Nook Member

If he is making 35 foot jumpers with a standing reach of 9'9", I am not sure what exactly you do to defend him.

His offensive game is more developed than what he has shown overseas, the footwork on the turnarounds is like an 8/10.... and you cannot block it or alter it. Some of the cuts to the basket and put backs can be altered or deterred by messing with his center of gravity or pushing him.

I think I may put a smaller defender on him to try and body him and keep up with him and worry less about getting a hand up to alter his shot.

He is the best big man prospect since Anthony Davis.... I think he has the upside to be better than AD, but also has more injury risk like Holmgren. Overall I think AD and this guy are a "push".

I think He is somewhere behind Sampson and Shaq and Davis as far as big men prospects over the last 40 years..... he is at this point a better big man prospect than Hakeem or Zion or Ewing were and ahead of Yao as well.

Just straight prospect wise, the only one I can think of in the modern era who would clearly be taken over him in a draft is LeBron James, who is the best amateur prospect since at least Kareem and Wilt.

If he is healthy, he is the type of prospect that ability wise comes around every decade or so.

I saw him a lot 18 months ago, and he wasn't this fluid or strong or seamlessly part of the offense.... he is better than Holmgren at this point and the last guy that would give me pause to take over him would be AD and Doncic (but I was higher on Doncic than most).

yixiixiy, jcmoon and theDude like this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

If Adam Silver didn't flatten the lottery odds, we would be seeing teams flirt w/ 10-12 win seasons this year :D:eek:

Corrosion likes this.
  17. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

You know Wemby is special when he's got all the execs thinking about tanking. This hasn't been seen in a long time

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

you know, the way i think we should handle this is to have an A team and a B team. Against the good teams, playoff teams, play our good players, and against the playin teams to bad teams, play our B team. Our B team should be all of bad players to ensure a loss.

Corrosion and alex_eg6 like this.
  19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i think most often, folks will pick 'the mystery box' over the boat... bc the mystery box could be anything - even a boat! lol!

Like buying a new car... most often those draft picks diminish in value once they're driven off the draft lot.. pick any years draft picks - and what % could draw an equal draft pick in this years draft - as to what was spent to get 'em...?

Leave some holes in the roster this year... let the kids play hard - continuing to develop the youngsters - but enough holes that you still end up in the middle of the lotto...

then spend spend spend next year!

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I honestly don’t see how AD was on the level of Wemby as a prospect

jcmoon and i3artow i3aller like this.