1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If teams are tanking for Wemby the Rockets should....?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 5, 2022.

?

What would you do as teams position themselves to tank for Wemby/Henderson

Poll closed Dec 7, 2022.
  1. A. Take advantage of those rolling the dice on very low odds.

50 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. B. Tank with them - let's take our shot too

143 vote(s)
    74.1%
  1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

2-3 years for them to jell? They need set roster.

Porter Green Eason Smith Segun?

Play them till they get good, develop chemistry. Then see in summer of 2024 see if you can fill some big vets around them.

Spurs look to be going hard after him. Think Houston actually got 2 future stars in Eason and Smith. They might lose alot but still be around 25-35 range, this year. I could see play in for sure next year thou. It all depends how well this roster does. Eason and Smith look really good out there. Segun is a big factor on how well they do. Just say no to the tank.

jbond77 likes this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Just play all the young guys and try to win, obviously :cool:

jbond77, ipaman and DaDakota like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would only be playing developing players....EGo would be benched and gone......

I want that too, just no ON PURPOSE tanking.

DD

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Four dots then the question mark is too many....?

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

One of these teams will go shameless and win like 8 games. I'll not be part of such shenanigans. Imagine a 9 win season only to get the 2nd pick. Pass on all of that.

We can play hard, flirt with 30 wins and still get a top 10 pick and be ****ing thrilled for it.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Actually if you promised me the number 2 pick if we went 9-73 i would take that without a second thought

jim1961, Yung-T, jcmoon and 3 others like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Four dots too many....? A thread (1/853)

Nook likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We had the worst record two years in a row and we got the #1 pick ZERO times.

jbond77, Richie_Rich and theDude like this.
  9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Let them continue to grow organically. Expect winning more this year. Go from wost in the league to maybe 3rd or 4th worst. Still have a shot in the lottery to move up. Win Win.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t think we should go into the season with a definite target for wins .

see how we play the first 10-20 and go from there and set a target .

It’s hard to know how many teams Will tank and how many will try for the play in .

where will the “loss packs” be ? I’m other words will there be a pack of teams within a few losses of worst record from seed 1-3 or 1-6 .

same thing towards the other end of getting into the play-in

being in the 6-10 pack wouldn’t be horrible . Neither would being in the play in depending on how we got there . Nor would the 1-6 . But that’s my opinion for that distribution.

I think this is the first season where the combined weight of wanting to see progress from our last years crop of 4 , Tate , kpj , Gary , Kmj , etc outweighs wanting to gain a higher probability of getting a pick over sabotaging their development.

if it gets down towards the end and things are falling where you might have a 10% + chance at Victor and/ or top 4 maybe you do it . Idk .

If the team look tired you can do it to make sure they don’t hurt themselves going for the play-in . But it’s only 1 game right ?

playoffs should be a realistic goal next year , depending on how things go this one . I’d be disappointed if it wasn’t . Especially since I mean Play-in

But anyways enough rambling .

DaDakota likes this.
  11. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

We are tanking unless there's a major injury. We are striving for mediocrity.
    I see a 14 win improvement making us finish right outside the play-in

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL can't believe you'd pass on Scoot for the Scoot at home smh.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are there even more teams tanking than there were last year? Detroit seems to be making moves to compete. Sacramento is trying to make the playoffs. The Spurs and Jazz joined the race, but a couple others exited. Hell, this time last year nobody really expected the Cavs to be good. But they went to the playoffs.

Last year I expected to compete for worst place with the Pistons, the Magic, the Kings and the Cavs. The Cavs were better than expected.

This year I expect to compete for worst place with the Spurs, Jazz, and the Magic. Am I forgetting somebody else who entered tank mode? Portland?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What is the proper amount of dots? I need to up my dot game.

DD

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Silas and KPJ will make sure we lose enough games :D

16. Nook

Nook Member

Is this really a question? You take the high lottery pick 100 out of 100 times… especially with who is at the top of this draft.

xcrunner51 and jcmoon like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah… but they got Jalen Green and Jabari Smith…. I would gladly add another elite talent to the he mix… a mobile tree that can play the 5 or a Marbury/CP3 hybrid love child to run the point for the next 15 years sounds good to me.

18. Qan

Qan Member

Man the Rockets will be so lucky to get #1 or #2. I'll be so happy if they can get Scoot.

I also think the Rockets don't need to tank, they'll naturally lose alot of games as they play the young guys...that's all they have anyways. Ego should be traded. But seriously this is a great year to really lose games lol

#58 Qan, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Just play the young guys and let the rest come together.

If they do well enough to get you out of bottom 5, that's a good sign anyways.

It does mean limited minutes for guys like Gordon and Tate however.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am the colonel of the m#%&$?# f&(#@? tank

Nook likes this.