1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If teams are tanking for Wemby the Rockets should....?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 5, 2022.

?

What would you do as teams position themselves to tank for Wemby/Henderson

Poll closed Dec 7, 2022.
  1. A. Take advantage of those rolling the dice on very low odds.

50 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. B. Tank with them - let's take our shot too

143 vote(s)
    74.1%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed - but we may be able to get that already by just letting the young guys play - and we if we fleece those that are desperate, we can get many more shots at that extra piece by taking picks back....

DD

jcmoon likes this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i'd 100% take on contracts for future picks, my dream is obviously westbrook but i'd take anyone if it came with picks. I would also do WHATEVER it takes, including benching jalen if needed and dumping gordon for nothing to get a bottom 3 record. If we don't have a bottom 3 worst record, this season is a failure to me unless we make the WCF or beyond.

Two Sandwiches and jcmoon like this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We need to compete for the worst record in the league.

Two Sandwiches and ico4498 like this.
  4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

that works too. but i would rather not risk getting out of reach. But let me ask you? what is the point of winning an extra 6 or 7 games by giving playing time to EG, KPJ, Kenyon who may not even be rockets? KPJ isn't really a rocket until he signs an extension. We've had a good look at him, we know who he is. Kenyon doesn't even want to be here. if we are going to play young, play the guys who are under contract and tank. play tyty, nix, garuba, eason, green, smith. i don't understand the point of making kpj look like a future star in a silas system only to put us out of reach. it doesn't make sense. he needs to sign that 10-12 million contract or we should just trade him. that's the easier way. let josh and tyty get more run.

peleincubus likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

I’d let the kids try and win for 2/3s of the season and then make my assessment from there.

If we have a realistic chance of moving into bottom 4 then I’d be looking to intentionally tank.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I don't know what type of positioning anyone thinks the FO can do.
    I mean sure, you can foul up the construction of the team or intentionally create holes and such.
    But this FO right now looks like they want the best team the soonest they can put it together.
    I haven't seen so far obvious moves aimed at worsening the team.
    The players and the coaches are not going to throw games.

So at the end of the day, the chips will fall where they may (for the most part)

If we do somehow, someway, end up with the #1 pick, the Rockets should be a dynasty in the making and that is worth whatever you can do to have a shot at (even if that isn't very much).

Personally, I think we will be somewhere in the 4th - 6th worst team this year.
    We will have some ping pong balls in there for Victor I think. Not quite as many as a couple other teams probably will though.

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want the Nets to win the lottery so that their fans get excited and start celebrating. Then with the cameras still on them, ESPN explains that that pick will go to Houston.

8. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

We will likely not gets the 1st or 2nd pick given the tanking landscape with spurs, utah, and okc being likely worse than us. With that said, we are unlikely going to be in play in also so why not just do our best and then try to move up to 1st or 2nd with most of the Nets picks that we have in this draft and offer pick swap to the team to move down few spots? It may not work but that is likely our best option.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Good point. There were head scratchers last year in giving Schroeder or dj Augustin minutes.

I guess we'll see where favors and harkness end up. I don't know the future status of Boban, but i suppose he gets a pass out of his size and matchups. Plus the fans love him.

10. conquistador#11

I'm with Jim. Like almost everyone is 22 and under. Unless people are suggesting starting Nix,Martin,Boban, Fernando and Garuba.
    You can say trade Tate but I have a feeling Peso would shine given the starting spot/Tate's minutes.
    So trade Eric? He has played an average of 40 games these past 3 seasons to affect winning or losing. The Rox seem to like EG more for his guidance.

2 things that can happen, either they will improve or the inexperience will have us continue to struggle. I'm good either way.

Spurs, OKc, Jazz, Kings, Orlando and the Bullets will finish with worse records. Going to need some luck.

ipaman likes this.
  11. foh

foh Member

A proper twin towers sequel of modern era (with 3 point shooting CGI)? Yes please!

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Gordon+Favors+Tate+Bucks pick for Russ and 2027 pick unprotected and the 2029 pick top 8 protected.

CircaSurvive and Corrosion like this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I’m with you clutch, tank for another year. Play the youngins and call it a developmental year.

Nook and Believe It! like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That’s the way I feel too. If the Rockets had their own pick next year I would maybe think differently. The timeline though was set 2 years ago. Tank 3 years then flip that switch next year. This team will granted good health will win all they want these next several seasons. Winning a few more games this season means nothing.

It won’t be that hard either. If you trade Gordon and Tate the range of players on the court will be 19-22 years old. That will take care of the losing.

Next season the average age creeps up. You sign a good free agent that has experience and wins will come.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Good luck convincing this group to tank. They won't do it and it could back fire.

jbond77 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yep.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I forgot to mentions Wall’s contract being on the same timeline. It was all set up perfectly. The rockets even got the luck of the 2nd pick. And a top 3 pick in a supposedly top 3 heavy draft.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Pre All Star Break I'd want us to try and be competitive even though we're going to suck. After then when it's obvious we're going nowhere then we can switch to full-on tank mode and give more run to the fringe players we have to see what flashes they have.

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

There will always be an exciting new "generational talent" coming up to The NBA.... At some point you have to stop tanking for that guy next year.... It will literally never end. At this point I think Rockets have done enough to start competing in a couple of years but part of that is development and getting rid of bad habits like tanking. If it happens then cool, I won't say no to Wemby but cmon... I'm going to want The Rockets to draft the highest prospect every single year... That won't happen either. Hopefully Rockets improve greatly from last year, because if they do that means Green and Smith are legit future stars and corner stones. Yeah, I prefer a much improved team knocking at the doors of a play in than getting Wemby because that's a sign the rebuild worked vs getting Wemby and not knowing when it will end...

jbond77 and ipaman like this.
  20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we have any real chance against truly tanking teams. The Spurs are fresh off of dumping their talent. Orlando is still awful, the Thunder lost their top pick for the year and SGA is hurt a lot, so they will still be bad. The Rockets are two years off their first tank and already have 4 (or 5, depending on the thread you are in) lottery-level players on the roster, two of which are top 3. They should all take steps forward this year. I think it's going to be very hard to have the worst record this year. I'm for just running the guys out there and roll with the ping pong balls that the 5th or 6th worst record gets you.

Now, if the trade deadline approaches and the team has a bottom 3 record, maybe they can sell off Gordon and Favors, which I'm sure is the plan anyway. I'm not sure that they can dump much more than that in order to ensure a worse record the rest of the way. I don't know that I would be for taking on bad long-term contracts. It all depends on who becomes available.