1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If teams are tanking for Wemby the Rockets should....?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 5, 2022.

?

What would you do as teams position themselves to tank for Wemby/Henderson

Poll closed Dec 7, 2022.
  1. A. Take advantage of those rolling the dice on very low odds.

50 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. B. Tank with them - let's take our shot too

143 vote(s)
    74.1%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Certainly, you've made it abundantly clear that you think Green, Smith, and Sengun are busts....but most Rockets fans disagree.

2. maj21

maj21 Member

There’s something called assets and cap room we’re gonna have plenty of. We can acquire an established star or sign a FA. You act like the future of this franchise depends on us tanking this year

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Lol ok

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, that's what you are saying....that the Rockets have no talent and need to keep tanking to have any chance of winning at any point in the future.

Most Rockets fans disagree, but you do you.

5. maj21

maj21 Member

What championship teams were built by tanking every year? I don’t think he gets it lol

6. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

I dont know is he better then yao? his knees, ankles and feet better then ralph or anyone? iron clad 7'3 ankles from france? look at chet, 14% chance at a media hype machine that could easily go out in his first couple years, generational talent? possibly, but why lose when your team wants to win? 14 percent versus say 7-8 you could still get the first pick unless it is truly rigged, who knows, I say weve got 3 or 4 guys that are generational talent, 2 picks in a loaded draft and you put gosh dang the lock smith on the french guy if he go spurs or utah, but why lose all those games again just to get another scoot doesnt make sense theres no guarantee a tank would get you any closer to a frozen envelope and beating the knicks again for a nba championship! jabari is #1 talent, jalen is #1 talent, Tari may just blow your ever loving mind how good he could be, what else do you want?

7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Yeah rookie guards playing high minutes is a steep curve no doubt. Going from that to where he ended up is next level ish for sure.

If Stone, Silas and all play their hand right, you could have much needed growth from the 7 first rounders AND a possible shot at Wemby. Tell me this team would not win and win and win.

KPJ, TyTy
    JG, JC
    Tari, Tate
    Bari, KJ
    Wemby, Sengun, Garuba

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, that would be great if you could miracle that into happening, but it's HIGHLY unlikely the Rockets current roster is bad enough to even be close to landing the top pick with so many other teams outright tanking with far less talent.

I see the Rockets as closer to a 40 win team than a 20 win team. Even if you manage to completely sabotage the team and manage to be a 20 win team, which would necessarily harm the development of the players currently on the team, you still only have a 14% chance at Victor.....meaning you likely did it for nothing even if you pull it off.

On the flip side, you could attempt to win and start to establish a winning tradition. I would much rather the Rockets eek into the playoffs and give the young players on the team that experience.

Having to intentionally harm your own team in order to have a tiny chance at having a tiny chance at one player IMO is foolish. This isn't like a couple of years ago when the team had nothing to lose because they didn't really have much of a foundation to build on. They have plenty to build on, so while landing Victor would be amazing, it's just not likely.

9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

One question... if Wemby actually becomes one of the greatest all time, would you stand by this statement?

I imagine it's the same question many GM's are asking themselves right now. If he stays healthy, whoever lands him will win multiple rings. Like 5, 6, 7 who knows. You saw the tape.

Wemby with JG, Bari, Tari and whoever would be sick. Honestly, of the potential lottery teams, I don't see a group that he fits with more than the Rox. Imagine he thinks the same.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. No matter how good he becomes, it doesn't change the fact that the Rockets only have a tiny chance at a tiny chance of drafting him. If it was as simple as tank and you get him, literally every team in the league would do it.

By far the most likely scenario if the Rockets tried to tank would be they'd still end up outside of the bottom 5 records and they wouldn't land the top pick. The past 2 seasons, the Rockets successfully tanked and got the worst record in the league and never landed the top pick. It's just not as easy as you are making it seem.

What you are suggesting is similar to saying that since the powerball is up to a billion dollars, the smartest business move is buying lottery tickets. When I point out the low odds, you say "Wouldn't it be awesome to have a billion dollars?"....just because the answer is "yes" doesn't mean that buying lottery tickets will get you a billion dollars.

In this situation, the odds are slightly better, but tickets cost A LOT more.

Y2JT likes this.
  11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

The same things most NBA execs would say. Probably the same conversation going on with TF, Stone, Silas and the like.

Your looking at it in one dimension. They can still have growth and be in the bottom 3. They were dead last the last couple yrs. They have the talent to finish a bit higher, but they're not climbing the mountain just yet. They're too young.

Let them play it out, possibly tweak a few rotations to ensure a bottom 3, guaranteeing a 14% chance in the process is the logical choice. Although they speak a different tune, I doubt Stone sees it any other way.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If I had a REALLY low opinion of the players on the team and thought that Green, Sengun, Smith, and Tari were all busts and I had your opinion of KPJ, I could see how I'd think that they could still be bottom 3. However, since I have a higher opinion of those players than you do, I don't see how that happens while so many other teams are actively tanking. The Rockets simply have too much talent on the team now.

Also, if you are Silas, you know for a fact you are fired if this team ends up bottom 3, why would you intentionally sabotage the team just to get fired?

Even with last season the way it was, the Rockets don't end up bottom 3 if Jalen Green doesn't start off the season being so absolutely terrible, they were 5 wins away from being out of the bottom 5. With the improvement of Green and the young talent on the team along with so many teams tanking, I just don't see any scenario where the Rockets can manage to be a bottom 3 team.

Last season was the end of tanking, they are in a different phase of rebuilding now.

Y2JT and jbond77 like this.
  13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I said I thought KPJ got better. On record they should extend him, so you can drop that.

If Silas does what's expected of him, he'll be fine. You actually think any owner, GM or coach would have a problem landing in the bottom 3 when there is absolutely no chance of going far this yr due to the teams overall age and experience?

If I had a million, I'd bet it that you'll be just fine with it if it came to be. Your arguing to argue. That's cool, but when Wemby's tearing teams up you'll remember I told you so.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No he won't because we weren't going to be able to DRAFT Wemby....we had the worst record in the league the last 2 years and didn't get the number one pick - you know why? Because the odds are 85% that you don't....

DD

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What I said was that I have a higher opinion of those players than you do, I personally think that the Rockets have several foundational players, you seem to think that the Rockets don't, that they need to keep tanking....or that they even CAN keep tanking. No matter what your opinion of those players, it inherently has to be lower than mine.

I think that if this team wins any fewer than 30 games, Silas needs to be immediately fired. This team simply has too much talent to only win 20 something games. I think any owner, GM, or coach would prefer to get his players some playoff experience if possible rather than doing all they can to sabotage the team in the hopes of finishing in the bottom 3 in the league.

Would I be happy if the Rockets miracle their way into winning the lottery? Of course.....I'd also want the entire coaching staff fired before they could do more harm to our young core.

16. j@amc

j@amc Member

Is there a way to change the options for this poll? My vote, no matter what the question, is to play Tari Eason.

Y2JT and DaDakota like this.
  17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Tell me D, how do you know we won't be in the bottom 3?

AND AGAIN!!!!! Why would that be a bad thing? I don't get this at all. I think you guys are arguing just to argue. It's not a bad thing. I love this team. Have for over 30 yrs. But I'm perfectly fine knowing they're too young to do any real damage in the end THIS YEAR. Why not think landing Wemby would be the best route? If you watched his gm, especially gm 2, then you know he's a complete game changer. Paired with what we already have, their would not be a team in the entire league to stop them.

Guess that's a bad thing. SMHFR

Little Bit likes this.
  18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

1. No you don't.
    2. No I don't.
    3. No it doesn't.

"Inherently has to be lower than mine"

This might be the worst take of your's I've ever read. I've never been more excited for the foundation. Take that ish somewhere else. Thank highly of yourself much bobby "the great"?

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Talent alone doesn't win games, if all these guys were in their 3rd, 4th, 5th seasons then ya it would be brutal if we only won 30 or 40 games, but they're all 1st or 2nd year guys, players THAT young almost always are bad when it comes to winning.

Believe It! likes this.
  20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

The common sense train has truly jumped the rails.