1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If teams are tanking for Wemby the Rockets should....?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 5, 2022.

?

What would you do as teams position themselves to tank for Wemby/Henderson

Poll closed Dec 7, 2022.
  1. A. Take advantage of those rolling the dice on very low odds.

50 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. B. Tank with them - let's take our shot too

143 vote(s)
    74.1%
  1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think Houston is in postion to trade all there first they an and seconds plus a couple of young guys to get the #1 pick if they want. And get there all world C .

Problem is do you do it?

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

We absolutely do not have close to enough trade assets (excluding players) to trade from say 6 to 1

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don’t think it’s possible at all for anything. Whoever gets the first pick will keep it.

clos4life and coachbadlee like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Park the vets on the bench or trade them for whatever you draft assets you can get

Strategically rest players and make sure to have a lot of different lineups.

KPJ, Green, Tate, Bruno, Bari & Tari shouldn't play more than 50 games each while Sengun, Nix, Mathews, Tyty & Garuba should get all the minutes they can stand.

CVcrew and jcmoon like this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow! We have been on some roller coaster ride these past few days.
    First with news of Jabari being out, downer. Then y'all went bananas over Wemby and that tank nonsense. Now Tari's play has brought y'all back down to earth.
    This season is going to be amazing.

Believe It! and kdchilds like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

You said 30 wins and Cam whitmore at no 6 is better than 9 wins and Scoot Henderson. Sochan to Bari is like Whitmore to Henderson. How is the Spurs not remotely similar? They only won 14 more games than the Rox last season not even your theoretical 21 more wins. Spurs would trsde in their 34 wins and Sochan for Jabari all day every day.

The point is nobody cares about your win total after the season, doesnt matter if it is 9 or 60 like in 2018 did anybody celebrate on the streets after the Rox got beaten in WCF? PHX was the regular season winner you think the PHX fsns were happy and called last year a successful season? Nobody was happy even then cuz at the end of the day regular season results dont matter. What matters is are you winning the ring or not. In this case Rox have no chance to win a ring so they may as well tank. How hard is that to understand?

Tanking to get Wemby is shooting for the stars. Yeah you may miss, but at least you land on the moon aka you still get s top 5 pick. Much better than winning 20 more games and getting thr 12th pick or w/e. In fact that 12th pick is gonna be whats upsetting cuz that dude will only be the 7th man or w/e at this point, we have too many prospects already only an elite prospect can break in and get mins.

#226 roslolian, Oct 8, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    Corrosion, Y2JT and clos4life like this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Teams that will be certainly worse than the Rockets

Spurs
    Jazz
    Thunder
    Hornets
    Magic
    Pistons
    Pacers

Too much competition at the bottom. There is no point to tanking imo.

KingSamJack and Y2JT like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Chet and now maybe Suggs being hurt doesn't help the chances of finishing behind those teams.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We may not be bad enough but who cares. Jettison Matthews,Tate,Gordon and let the young guys scrap it out.

10. MultipleSauces

Rockets fans are so spoiled, two losing years has made us into a buncha Tankers. For Shame. What would shane battier do

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Battioke.

MultipleSauces likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tank.

MultipleSauces and roslolian like this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Tank like never before

roslolian and jcmoon like this.
  14. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

It’s simple, trade EG and Tate.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

I will never root for the rockets to lose going into a season, just no way. I don’t mind it at the very end when we’re already locked to be a bottom 5 team.

Y2JT likes this.
  16. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

they'll be gone by the deadline, that's stone's plan. That's why they gave tate that contract seeing his improved 3. He's a nice bench piece for a contender. Once those two are traded we'll be bottom five team for sure. who'll do the dirty work?

CRJ713 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So what happens when we put 19 and 20 year olds in the line up and they still win games? See, NBA teams don't take by "not trying" in the court. Trust me every player that is on the court is putting their max effort. They have careers on the line to listen to coaches tell them to "don't try to win". The way teams tank is by playing their young inexperienced players over vets who knows how to win games.

So if the Rockets start winning at a pace that is over 30 games and obviously places us out of the W sweepstakes, are you going to seriously consider benching players like Green, Sengun and Bari who are all rookies or second year players who can't even legally drink yet? You want to rest those guys? Guys who are still in their early stages of their NBA development?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wrong anybody can win no 1/no 2. As long as you in the top 3 you have ss much chance as anyone else.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Since when did a bunch of 19 and 20 yrs olds clown the rest of the NBA? Just cuz the Rox are 2-0 in preseason you think they're gonna do the same in regular season?

Look just give me 1 single case in the NBA's 75 yrs where a bunch of 19 and 20 yr olds without a single all star got over 0.500 and we will start worrying about that scenario.

I rmemeber when people were telling me 2nd year Claxton was the answer on the Nets and washed duo LMA and Blake Griffin are never gonna see any play in the playoffs.

OKC's Kd era is the closest I can remember and KD was already 21 and had 3 yrs exp when they won 50 games. Prior to that OKC won 20 and 23 games. And thats a team with KD, Jeff Green, WB, Ibaka and Harden. I love our team but we dont have anyone as talented as KD not to mention James Harden and co.

#239 roslolian, Oct 8, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I guess you didn't get my point. I too believe that there is a slim to none chance this team wins more than 30 games.

But we are pretending this team has to make some active decision to tank or not.

We are rolling with our young guys. If our core group of 19-21 year olds already are too good to not get us under 30 wins by just playing them full starter roles then we found our future contending core and we shouldn't worry about W.

Easy likes this.