1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Obama was muslim would you vote for him?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 14, 2008.

?

Would you vote for him?

1. Yes

118 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think that's less of an issue than if Jindal was muslim and a liberal.

but to be sure, Jindal had no chance in politics as a Hindu

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He seemed to have converted just to advance his political career. I don't think I could vote for a guy like that.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

...and why do you think Obama went from being Muslim at birth, to being atheist for decades, to joining Trinity United? You don't think that was driven, at least in part, by the desire to advance his political career?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

lord knows because he chose his religion straight out the womb

doctor slaps baby's ass, baby says, "make me a muslim"

5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

You can't be a Muslim at birth. You can't be any religion at birth. Faith requires a choice.

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

This is a bunch of crap....cause it makes no sense.....AT ALL!!! I’m sorry but I got to call you out on the validity of your story about your friend in Saudi, cause he sounds like he’s not even heard of the religion.

Religiously - no. Because no other religion is accepted by his Allah except Islam (Quran, 2:256)

Quran, 2:256 reads: “Let there be no compulsion in Religion: Truth stands out clear from error: whoever rejects evil and believes in God hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks, and God heareth and knoweth all things.”

Don’t know which Quran your buddy in Suadi has, but the one above that I have quoted is what’s really there... appears like someone has been making things up.....

Scripturally - no. Because his allegiance is to the five pillars of Islam and the Quran (Koran).

Do you even know what the five pillars are?....in the context of becoming president, how does this matter?

Geographically - no. Because his allegiance is to Mecca, to which he turns in prayer five times a day.

So? Again I don’t understand how this hinders a Muslim’s ability to become president.....

Socially - no. Because his allegiance to Islam forbids him to make friends with Christians or Jews.

LOL.....I’d love to see where you got this from....sorry I meant "your friend" in Saudi...

Politically - no. Because he must submit to the mullah (spiritual leaders), who teach annihilation of Israel and Destruction of America, the great Satan.

Okay now I’ve got to stop cause this is just getting silly..........

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Amending the consititution simply because you feel certain aspects of american culture are out of synch with god's will is definitely an abrogation of his elected responsibilities. If nothing else, it flies in the face of the 1st amendment.

Well, we don't know that. Given that most any normal person would realize the gravity of such a statement being made public, I'd argue there is ample probability that the president firmly believes he should use the US army as needed to fullfill what god told him to do. That's downright terrifying, if true.

I disagree, although I can understand and sympathize with the point you are trying to make. I don't think that news reports highlighting islams issues are necessarily indicative of a broad base of violently religious screwballs. Similarly, I don't think every christian person is a Pat Robertson in disguise. You paint with too broad a brush.

I really think this is ridiculous. But I really don't feel like arguing about it after the "questions for liberals" thread that already addressed this farcical notion thouroghly.

Wow. Embellish much?

I don't feel that the bible has anything to do with this particular topic, given that religions are constructs of men, and accordingly political - thus negating your point. I've hashed this out about a million times on this forum, so forgive me if I don't go into further detail.

Another central tenet is the belief that unbelievers should be saved. Go out and make disciples and all that. Ergo acceptance of any such decision is not necessarily a given.

Likewise.

#67 rhadamanthus, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  8. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Hold your horses there cowboy.

Any proof for these bull**** claims that you've taken out of context?

I'll give you that Islam seeks to spread itself to everyone... However, if Islam is from the Creator, then I find it's more noble to want to spread it to everyone else than to say whoever doesn't follow it or wasn't born one is going to hell.

Other than that, who told you it's permissable to lie to "unbelievers"?

Source please.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Because the Confusion serves a purpose

Rocket River

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, to name a few. These guys were Deists at best, and the way Jefferson wrote in his private letters to his nephew, he might have been a complete non-believer.

But this isn't to say that non-Christians make the best Presidents, it's simply to say that IT SHOULDN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR RELIGION IS!

PS - Write-in Ron Paul!

11. LouisianaRocket

If Obama was muslim I would NOT vote for him....

Not because he is muslim but because radical Islam can not be trusted. muslims are either against the United States or for the United States so it is a 50-50 chance Obama would be one that hated America and I could not vote on those type of chances.

12. TheMountainTop

Lets say if Obama was a muslim and was elected president what difference would he make in terms of how we live our daily lives?

Let me rephrase this. If Obama was a muslim what concerns would you guys have of him leading our country?

Do you think he would allow public executions where they cut off heads or stone women in the ground?

Do you think he would allow men to marry 4 wives?

Do you think he would invite Osama Bin Laden to the white house?

C'mon guys this is the United States of America. Its not like homeboy is gonna become a dictator and declare marshal law.

13. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Radical Christians have done a lot of harm on this Country too! KKK! Skinheads! Timothy McVeigh!

Radical extremism isn't just a Muslim thing!

14. sook

sook Rookie

lol I''m a muslim i don't blame people for getting pissed. I am too.

Goto pakistan/afghanistan and round up all of the mullahs/extremists stupid crazy people...Destroying little girl's schools...what can you possibly get out of that??!?! They give us a bad name. :mad:

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Everybody keeps saying that but there are some people who will just never understand it. :(

16. dafranchise0309

This thread just proves that racism and prejudice still strongly exist in America, Land of the Free

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hear this said all the time, and it's simply not so.

1. Deists believe God has NOTHING to do with current events. That He created and stands back. George Washington cited the role of God in the American Revolution a bazillion times. He constantly talked about Providence saving him in unlikely situations.

"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"

"I consider it an indispensable duty to close this last solemn act of my official life by commending the interests of our dearest country to the protection of Almighty God and those who have the superintendence of them into His holy keeping."

2. Adams was a DEEPLY religious man...almost puritanical. Here are quotes from John Adams:

“The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity…I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and the attributes of God.”

“[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

3. Here are quotes from James Madison:

"The belief in God all powerful wise and good, is so essential to the moral order of the world and to the happiness of man, that arguments which enforce it cannot be drawn from too many sources nor adapted with too much solicitude to the different characters and capacities to be impressed with it."

4. Thomas Jefferson I'll give you. At time he writes as if he acknowledges God...at other times not so much. I think that makes Jefferson intensely human.

Ultimately, I realize there's a problem with grouping anyone and fitting them into any setting. But to pretend that Washington and Adams, in particular, were deists....I hear that said all the time and I find little to no evidence for that when reading of them.

Of course this isn't commentary on the claims of Christ or anything like that. That Washington or Adams or Madison or Jefferson believed in those claims does nothing to indicate they're any more true.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Good for Obama to address a real concern from this "issue", the problem is that everyone implictly implies its bad to be a Muslim

obama: new yorker cover insult to muslims

Obama says New Yorker insulted Muslim Americans

CHICAGO — Democrat Barack Obama said Tuesday that the New Yorker magazine's satirical cover depicting him and his wife as flag-burning, fist-bumping radicals doesn't bother him but that it was an insult to Muslim Americans.

"You know, there are wonderful Muslim Americans all across the country who are doing wonderful things," the presidential candidate told CNN's Larry King. "And for this to be used as sort of an insult, or to raise suspicions about me, I think is unfortunate. And it's not what America's all about."

Obama blamed himself for not being forceful enough in challenging some of the rumors about him, including that he is Muslim. Obama is Christian.

The son of a Kenyan father, Obama lived in the largely Muslim nation of Indonesia as a child. He dealt with similar questions in February after a photo surfaced of him wearing traditional Kenyan clothing during a visit to Africa in 2006.

The cover of the magazine, which hit newsstands Monday, depicts Obama in traditional Muslim clothing — sandals, robe and turban — while his wife, Michelle, has an assault rifle slung over one shoulder and is dressed in camouflage and combat boots with her hair in an Afro. A flag burns in a fireplace behind them as they bump fists, and a portrait of Osama bin Laden hangs above the mantel.

New Yorker Editor David Remnick told the Huffington Post Web site the cover was chosen because it had something to say.

When first asked about it on Sunday, Obama declined comment. His spokesman, Bill Burton, said it was "tasteless and offensive."

Obama said he's developed "a pretty thick skin" running for president and has "seen and heard worse."

"I do think that, you know, in attempting to satirize something, they probably fueled some misconceptions about me instead," he said. "But, you know, that was their editorial judgment. And as I said, ultimately, it's a cartoon, it's not where the American people are spending a lot of their time thinking about."

19. rjh2000

rjh2000 Contributing Member

The facts are simple. Osama had both a Muslim upbringing and a Muslim background. His father was a Muslim, his stepfather was Muslim. He was raised in Indonesia, a Muslim country. He attended a Muslim school. He was registered as a Muslim. He loves the Muslim call to prayer, and he can recite it in Arabic
    There is no doubt. It’s not spin, and it’s not politicking. Obama has a Muslim background and had a Muslim upbringing.
    That being said, the only reason I will not vote for him is because he is an delusional Liberal.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

nice mistake there, given your concern about his muslim background i'm sure it was accidental