1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If no Bosh/Melo/LeBron - what do we do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jul 8, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets bring back Jordan Hill.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Obviously depends on other moves, but very possible. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/robertporters">@robertporters</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> what's da chances of us bringing jordan hill back</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/486565155200069632">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

so did OKC

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can always try (and have.) RT <a href="https://twitter.com/JARodriguez0">@JARodriguez0</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> If Rockets fail to get Bosh, do they attempt to trade for K. Love?</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/486569171514576896">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Dwight_Hard

Dwight_Hard Member

Trade lin for T. young with 76ers
    or
    Lin to bucks for Ersan I.

sign Jameer Nelson to beat pat bev out of starter role.
    sign parsons to 10 mil and Shawn Marion to contract of about 6 mil a year 2 years.

Jameer Nelson
    James Harden
    Chandler Parsons
    Ersan I. / Thaddeus Young
    Dwight Howard

Bench:
    Bev
    Nick Johnson/ James Hamilton
    Shawn Marion/ Robert covington
    Terrence Jones/ D Mo
    CAMBY MAN

5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Member

Eric Bledsoe offer sheet anyone?

He's young, athletic, a defensive dynamo, but more offense than Beverley.

If we strike out on him, I think we go into the season with the same plan we always have: sign cheap backups that have potential to overachieve (meaning goodbye Casspi and Garcia, and hello Casspi/Garcia clones + daniels, NJ, Covington, Canaan + d-league big man), wait for a team that gets panicked and has to trade away a superstar, offer up our combination of flexible salaries, picks, young talent in a trade. That means Lin will still on the roster. Basketball reasons aside, we need at least one big contract we are willing to trade away to make salaries work.

I know that's boring but it doesn't seem like Morey is quite ready to go over the top on this team and sign a productive bench without at least one more star player on the roster. Until then, status quo: remain flexible.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If everything else (superstar wise) falls through, Morey might do anything, including trying to get Bledsoe if he thinks there's a lot of potential there. I wonder what it would take to pry him from the Suns if Morey did make the attempt. I think it very unlikely that he would, but you never know.

7. Frankozb

Frankozb New Member

I have a feeling no one wants to come here!!! I have no idea why!!! But Melo Lebron and Bosh need to make a decision already this mess is dragging...

8. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

If we strike out on Melo/Bosh/LBJ then obviously we pursue a Love or Rondo trade, which are very unlikely to happen at this time (especially without losing Parsons and we need his consent before Dec.).

After all of that I think most likely we choose to operate above the salary cap, in which case we have the Asik ~8 mil trade exception and Lin's expiring contract for salary matching purposes in a future trade. We can then sign Jordan Hill with the MLE (we do need to replace Asik's minutes somehow) and use the BAE on someone like James Johnson/Aaron Brooks/Jameer Nelson just to stash for depth purposes.

We then just continue to accumulate trade assets where possible and wait for an opportunity to upgrade the PF or PG position. Not very exciting but we do bring back essentially the same team that won 54 games last year in the West and are poised for a run at Love/Rondo/whoever else that might come available before the deadline.

C - Howard/Hill
    PF - Jones/Motiejunas
    SF - Parsons/Covington/Garcia
    SG - Harden/Daniels
    PG - Beverley/Lin/N. Johnson

Assets available for trade: NOP 2015 1st, Capela, Rox 1sts, NYK 2015 2nd, Jones, Asik TE, Lin expiring

9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Member

you're right, Bledsoe is probably a fool's errand since Phoenix can easily match any salary Houston throws at him, but if we go that route two (small) glimmers of hope:

1) Phoenix drafted Tyler Ennis, another point guard, this year. One has to wonder why they felt compelled to draft a point guard when they already have two very good ones on the roster. Perhaps they don't see one as a long term fit?

2) Bledsoe is young so his max contract would be less than Bosh's. Without looking at cap specifics, this may mean Houston would have a little more wiggle room after signing Bledsoe.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wouldn't read too much into Ennis. They probably went BPA since they had so many picks.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We could make Bledsoe a max offer and try to talk to the suns into S&T'ing him to us.

We could offer a lot.

2015 Hou first - Late first
    2015 Nop first - Lottery
    2017 Hou first - Late first
    Clint Capela - Valuable international player
    Jeremy Lin - Expiring

for Bledsoe, signed to a full length max contract. It would be hard for the Suns not to give that type of offer a serious look.

12. micah1j

micah1j Member

Bledsoe's max would start around 14.5 million. I think to sign him to an offer sheet we would need the actual cap space cleared first. Not sure though. For a sign & trade we would need to include more than Lin, maybe the TPE would fill the rest.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Yes, you have to have the cap space available to sign an offer sheet.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Honestly though, I'm pretty damn sure the suns keep Bledsoe and move Dragic if anything. Bledsoe is 3.5 years younger, has more potential and is a better 2 way player. The suns are close to making the playoffs but still have another 2-3 years of growing until they're going to be seriously contending. Dragic is already 28, by the time the teams in its prime he will be regressing.

So, we should focus on trying to nab Dragic.

15. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I wonder of we could get into the Pau Gasol market? No idea what the Bulls are offering (is it just MLE or are they willing to amnesty Boozer to offer Gasol more?) but we might be the only contending team to offer him above MLE.

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Gasol would be nice. Wonder if we can nab Ray Allen too. That would be even better. I really want Kirk Hinrich on the team. If we can shore up on the PG/PF and bench, we'll be good, Bosh or no Bosh.

17. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

If we miss on Bosh (who I want), maybe Morey looks at signing Ariza or Deng, then includes CP25 in trade for Love.

18. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Let's say Gasol has no offers over the MLE from any contending teams.

$5,305,000/year starting to play for Spurs/Thunder/Bulls

-OR-

$7,000,000/year starting to play for Rockets over the same length

(Also, give him the choice to accept ~10M for 1 year or whatever is the most under the cap we can offer while keeping Lin, for trade matching purposes. This would benefit us and he might prefer less of a commitment, more $$ upfront, and the chance to be a FA at the same time as his brother).

The Lakers obviously are a threat to re-sign him as well and can offer more than we can.

19. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

What do we do? Win anyway.

20. JoeBarelyCares

First sign Parsons to make sure we don't fall under the cap after the Asik/Lin trades. Then trade Lin to Philly as part of the New Orleans trade of Asik, and get a $16.6 million trade exception. Use the trade exception to be a player in the free agent market next summer.

Then use our MLE and LLE.