1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Morey wanted Rondo, he would have landed Rondo.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yah, I don't know why people are freaking out over this. Calm down. Its not the end of the world. Canon Ball was playing really well before he went down. I expect him to get back to that. Hitting Clutch threes and hustling. Clutch threes and hustle? Sounds like that Morey formula and Rondo did not fit it. Just a couple of weeks ago we were read to ship out DMO for anything.... I can tell you right now I wouldn't trade him for almost anyone. Lets let our guys develop. Dallas is trying to force themselves into the finals before Dirt runs out of gas.The Rockets are developing a championship team led by two young superstars. We are one addition to the bench away from being the best in the league... Yah, I believe what I just said....

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think so. I think people are looking into that too much. Morey just inquires about everything. I think he just goes about his business. It's Cuban that jumps in trying to pick on him.

It's funny. Morey was probably a nerd growing up (no offense, Daryl). Becomes a hero. Does his job, minds his own business. And now he's getting bullied by an alpha personality meat head (albeit a smart one) all over again. Back to square one.

Beat his ass in ping pong. It's the only way.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you could trade Rondo for "other big names" the Celtics would have done that already. There's a reason why they got so little after trying for so long. Apparently no teams wanted him bad enough to give up anything exceptionally good. What makes you think that the Rockets could get something more?

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

5. hakeemthagreat

Dwight is not young. Second, we are FAR from being a championship team. We still don't have the coaching or the depth to call ourselves contenders. If we go into the 2nd half of the season, with this current roster, chances are we'll get exited out the 1st round of the playoffs again. We should've learned last year regular season success does not always equate to postseason success. We as Rocket fans should be anything but content with this roster. Daryl Morey NEEDS to pull something off by the trade deadline Rondo or no Rondo.

6. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Smart move by Morey in not trading for Rondo who is not as good as he once was, which I always thought he was overrated. If Morey wanted him they'd got since they have a better pick. Getting Rondo would not make use better since he can't play off ball and you are not going to take the ball out harden's hands, your MVP candidate

7. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Its not that Morey didn't want Rondo but he would want him only at the right price. You don't make a trade just to make a trade.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Give our coaching staff and depth some credit. We are 19-6 with 3 starters injured most of the season and 3 2nd stringers out some of the season

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Agreed.....I think morey has his eyes on Goran.

Rondo would not be a good fit here.

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I agree with this. We could've had him if we'd wanted. With that in mind, I'm thinking there's another target Morey has in mind that would be a better fit. Hence, he drove up the price for Dallas, and we'll get the last laugh when we add our next piece.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree with this post except the bolded part. Rondo isn't gonna make the Mavs stronger, in fact they just got weaker because they lost the only other young/attractive asset they had in Brendan Wright. Rondo is overrated SMH, all the success Boston has ever had with Rondo has come with KG/Allen/Pierce, at the end of the day he is not a difference maker.

@everyone flipping about "making a move now", the squad is injured with Dwight, Canaan, TJones, KPap and Beverly missing multiple games you really think now or this summer is the time to "make a move"? :rolleyes:

You don't go all in like what the Mavs are doing because all it does is build a deeper hole next season, Houston has gotten a stopgap wing player in Brewer who can be Ariza 0.75 and IMHO that's enough of a "win now" move. You have to keep building with the future in mind, this is the reason the Rox right now are overflowing with productive yet young players. If we can get a superstar like Kevin Durant then yeah, let's trade everyone otherwise there really is no benefit to doing so, as is the current roster can beat anyone as soon as we get everybody back.

12. Ghost_of_Akeem

Everything that is happening right now for the Mavs is a result of desperation and personal anguish on the part of Cuban.

Cuban broke up his championship team in hopes of acquiring D-Will and Howard, he struck out and received a lot of back lash for it in the media and from his fans.

Then, to add insult to injury Dwight chose us over his beloved Mavs and then Daryl added salt to the wound by stating that we would go after Dirk in free agency.

Meanwhile, Cuban watches his Mavs become the 3rd best team in Texas last year which caused him to go into full on idiot mode. He signed Parsons to that ridiculous deal just out of pride but not really thinking about how good of a player Parsons would become, now he trades his top 6th man and perhaps the best frontcourt backup Dirk has ever had for a PG who is injury prone and will likely ice out the role they wanted Parsons to play originally.

The media gobbles this **** up like candy. But let's be real here, all of this is about Cuban feeling like he has to get the monkey off his back, it's not about the Mav's. If it were about the Mav's then Cuban would have done what Don Nelson Jr. said and signed Ariza instead of Parsons. Mav's were the frontrunners for Ariza, imagine how good they would be now if they had taken him over Parsons.

Cuban is much like his Dallas counterpart Jerry Jones, they're smart men but they need to let professionals run their teams and stop letting their ego's get the best of them.

13. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

For what it's worth, highly successful sports bettor Haralabos Voulgaris posted on his Twitter in response to:

@haralabob What would Houston give up for Rondo? Beverley+Montejunas+Picks?

@ToTheWinslow if they did that they'd be insane too. I'd rather have Beverley

14. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I'm glad Morey didn't make the trade for Rondo.

Dallas MIGHT be better this year because they made the trade, but it will really hurt them moving forward. Corey Brewer, on the other hand, is EXACTLY the type of player the Rockets need: a good defender and a slasher for the second unit. Ariza will get burned out if he keeps playing ~40 minutes a game for the rest of the season, so this should help him a lot too.

In addition, Brewer has a lot of incentive to go out there and prove that he's worth keeping so Morey doesn't trade him again at the trade deadline.

Low risk, potential for high reward --> **Applause**

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Fixed

16. wise_man

wise_man Member

Kobe, Lebron ,wade and Jordan had at least three if not four stars playing with them at all times. Give me one name on the rockets besides hardeen who can create offense for the team..... I watch every rockets game and I have seen how bad they struggle to score points so many times. We are winning cos of our defense and not offense, so unless we get dragon we won't get past the first round. My first choice was rondo. But oh well!

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

"As time progressed with the Houston-Boston talks, there was a sense within the Celtics that Houston was simply trying to drive the price up on a deal for the Mavericks, sources said."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--celtics-deal-rajon-rondo-to-mavs-231537852.html

I think it worked lol. Brandan Wright is a steal for a Rondo that was gonna leave anyway.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You are wise man.

19. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Not only is Rondo the anti-thesis of a Moreyball point guard, but he is also an awful fit next to any team with a ball handler like James Harden. That's a double whammy.

I don't get why people ever wanted him in a Rockets uniform. Is it just because he's a big name?

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I think Daryl wanted Rondo last year for sure with having playmakers and the high turnover rate ( still an issue)

But he could have still had him but Rondo is a free agent and giving up the NOP pick would have been necessary and my guess is that Rondo may have given some sort of indication that he didn't want to re-sign in Houston. At that point it is not worth to sign him for half a season and lose a lotto pick. Not when Bev is a good defensive point good, shooter and rebounder. Rondo is better don't get me wrong but we're not talking about a significant upgrade at the position. Not to mention that prior to the injury Canaan was playing well and Johnson has shown the same sort of defense grit Bev has early on (Nicks offense needs work). So even the backup PG situation isn't in too bad of shape

At that point if Dragic isn't available then the pick at least could be used to draft a guy would could help the team going forward in a bigger area of need (backup big man)