1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

If Morey is fired over this, I'm out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by malakas, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Since when protesting is not OK?

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I really, really feel for the dude. I know he loves Houston and loves the Rockets, and yet his current job is paid for by the government that's so incensed at his former team. If I were him-- and for once in my life I really don't wish I was--I'd try to block everything out and throw myself into improving the shitty national team.

I don't think he can, though. The noise must be deafening. I wonder if the feeling would be similar to watching parents go through a messy divorce. Well, anyway, whatever his honest opinions are on this mess I can guarantee that he won't be voicing them.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

It was politically expedient for certain people to alter the perception of his protest, turning it from a statement on police brutality against minorities into a condemnation of the military and all things "patriotic."

AstroRocket likes this.
  4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also you clearly have difficulties to understand simple facts so let me help you out.

Just answer this simple question :

Did Morey ever take a knee during the Rockets game while playing the Chinese national anthem or he ever hold up a sign at the mid court to read Fight for Freedom and Stand with Hong King?

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Regardless of what he feels the issue is that if he supports the Rockets / Hong Kong he will get blackballed in China and potentially be exiled. Same for his family.

This is just like when Enes Kanter's father had to publicly berate Enes otherwise he would have been killed, as well as his family. Yao isn't under threat of death but getting exiled isn't good either.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

And it's gotta be tough going from beloved national hero to national traitor and pariah. I'd hate to be in his massive shoes.

#26 topfive, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Are there any serious reports behind this?

Is Morey on the hot seat or do you worry?
    It seems overheated and time will heal?

While I think he shouldn't take the fall, the Chinese brehs can do bizness with whomever they want.

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

This is such a microcosm of our challenges as a nation. Isn't it beautiful? All they want is money and uniformity. All we want is money, unless it compromises the common denominator of goodness that we agree is non-negotiable. This is what we are, together. How we spend the unavoidable taxes... that's the gameplan.

malakas likes this.
  9. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I'm with you. If Morey is fired over this, I will COMPLETELY walk away from the Rockets and the NBA.

malakas, kevtse and HAYJON02 like this.
  10. HAYJON02

Uh, I choose to avoid moral and intellectual bankruptcy if I can avoid it. I already don't trust our owner's ethos. If he takes action against Daryl, it's not an exaggeration to say that I'm done supporting this team. And I will do my damndest to convince every other Rockets fan with a soul to avoid contributing to an UN-AMERICAN cause. Nationalism is outdated, usually, but there are some shocking litmus tests these days... amen.

malakas likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Same. Fan all of my life. If Tilman cans Morey over this, I’m cancelling tickets the next day. I’ll still be a fan but my money will never go to Tilman again.

#31 treyk3, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Been here before Morey, will be here after Morey - though I really like him and don't think he should be fired...but he will need to apologize.

DD

BallSoHarden and ilovehtownbb like this.
  13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Firing Morey over this would officially make this organization a political one. Tilman said the Rockets are not affiliated with politics.

Firing Morey is against the stance Tilman already took.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

don’t get it twisted. Firing Morey would be purely pandering for financial purposes.

15. HAYJON02

You think the flow of money is the greatest good? You seriously believe that?

16. kevtse

kevtse Member

Say no to #chinazi

17. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I just really, really wish this whole incident didn't happen. I know that some things need to be said, and freedom of speech is something that I'd be willing to die for, but Morey's statement has all of a sudden made it pretty shitty for us Rockets fans living in China, and there are more than a few die-hards here who care more for sports than politics.

All this talk about the team being blocked on streams, TV, and all media platforms has really got me feeling some kind of way; I just don't know why Morey couldn't see such a PR nightmare coming. Or, maybe he anticipated the backlash and this is part of his twelve-dimensional chess game. Either way, I'm just upset, and I've been feeling that way for the last two days. But Morey had better not be fired over this. Letting go of one of the best GMs in the league because of a damn tweet would be incredibly, incredibly stupid.

And to any Chinese bros reading this, if you love the team--if you're a true Rockets fan, then anything Morey says shouldn't affect your fandom. Why should it? It's a man stating his opinion, as we all have the right to do.

People on the forums can debate, talk with, and flame each other but the Rockets really are a non-political entity. They're just a basketball team. We can discuss Hong Kong all we want on the d&d (but please, not any more on the GARM, for the love of god) but at the end of the day, this season is gonna be great. We just added a f*cking MVP! James Harden is the most creative man on the hardwood! And our bench deeper than the Mariana trench. I wish the focus can return to that.

I'm sorry for rambling on. I'm just pretty pissed off, and I don't know what I'm even pissed at. I hope the Rockets figure this out. I hope I can watch my favorite team this season on the world's cheapest league pass (seriously, its like 30 rmb a month).

tldr version: just the facepalm emoji a million times. also a poop emoji because why not

18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

that’s actually a perfect example of why the US is awesome. A ton of people didn’t agree with what he did, but nearly everyone agreed that he had the right to do it.

protesting was always okay. It’s literally taught in textbooks here.

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I‘m sorry for your loss. It really does suck. We’ll probably lose a lot of great fans over this that are staying silent.

Then again, if more dedicated Chinese rockets fans also cared about their government, maybe your government wouldn’t be allowed to take your fandom from you.

Roomba likes this.
  20. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Agreed. Morey is the reason Rockets are contenders. Tilman should stick to selling overpriced food at dated restaurants and let Morey do his job.

BigMaloe, Der Rabbi, malakas and 2 others like this.