1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF Melo goes on the trade block, should the Rockets get him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

****, you guys are crazy. A Trio of Harden/Melo/Dwight would be ridiculous, if the Rockets had a chance to get Melo, they would have to do it.

2. klutch sidy

klutch sidy Member

if he is a free agent why not hold off until the summer like we did with dwight. why give up assets when you might be able to sign him and retain those player/picks?

If anything we should hope for the knicks to play well up until the trade deadline, then have a complete collapse so that melo hits the market.

3. Entropy

Entropy Member

JR Smith got Dolan to give his talentless brother a contract based on the fact they are buddy buddy outside of the arena. If his star cash cow player Melo wants a player to stay there, ownership will work to keep that player. And the inner workings of the NYK has been laid out in the media for quite some time now and anyone who has common sense can see it for what it is.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Holy crap totally forgot about the picks the Nuggets have. Can you imagine if Melo leaves the same Summer the Nuggets get one of Wiggins, Randle, Gordon, Parker in the draft with their lottery pick???

I think NY recovers enough to get out of the lottery, but they are going to have an uphill battle.

On one hand its always fun to see the Knicks suck, and on the other hand... do we really want the Nuggets of all teams to get potentially TWO of these top rookies in one draft next Summer so we can have ANOTHER super Western Conference team while the rest of the East continues to crap on themselves on the way to work???

5. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Man. I've posted a few times rapid fire in this thread, but this is pretty much an embarrassing reaction from this forum. I guarantee 90% of the people commenting here don't even watch Melo play, and are saying they don't want 3 of the top 15 players in the league on their team?

Not even sure why it's a big deal, since the Rockets wouldn't have the best package available if Melo really were available (David Lee + Harrison Barnes?)... but the biggest thing lacking in the Rockets offense is lethal 3pt shooting at the 4, a post scorer, and a mid range shooter that will work off the ball. Carmelo Anthony does all of that exceptionally well... he would be a perfect fit in this offense. Defensively he's basically underrated at this point.

Y'all don't want to win a championship, y'all just want to have feel good likable players.

6. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

This was on a thread that I made before. Yes, the trade is good. Ship Asik and Lin back to NY, get Melo. You got 3 superstars on the team here. Winning formula for conventional thinking coaches, such as Mchale and Morey. I mean, Morey signed mediocre Ariza for a fat contract, why not take the conventional approach of Melo? 3 superstars here = championship. Boston and Miami did it, why not Houston?

7. torocan

torocan Member

The Knicks are not only capped out with virtually no draft picks, but they have $23M locked up in Amare's contract. Melo is already closing on 30 years old and they're ridiculously over the cap, without the assets or cap space to improve.

That more than anything is why Melo may walk. Chandler + Melo and $23M in dead contracts means the immediate future is pretty glum.

Just imagine how much worse Miami and the Clippers would be if you had to take $23M off their roster. Yes, the NYK are absolutely screwed if Melo walks and they don't get something back.

8. James88

James88 Member

LOL, Knicks aren't giving up Melo for Asik and Lin. You'd have to throw in Bev, Parsons, Jones too, and take back Felton.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

DD

10. klutch sidy

klutch sidy Member

Brandon Jennings should've been tweeting about Felton making a team.:eek:

11. JamezGatz

JamezGatz Member

12. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

If you can convince Melo to play team ball then absolutely, if he was going to have the same mentality here as he does with the Knicks then I would have to think hard about having him here.

I seriously doubt Melo can change his selfishness mentality, Its like Dwight's free throws, you can't teach a old dog new tricks.

13. James88

James88 Member

Brandon Jennings should tweet more.

14. torocan

torocan Member

We don't have the cap space to take on $22M in salary without trading.

Right now we have $7M in cap space. Lin and Asik take up $8.3M x 2. Parsons is $1M, but when his contract comes due expect it to be considerably steeper... like $8-10M steeper.

There is no way we can sign Melo straight up unless we're we outright waive Lin + Asik. There's just not enough salary on the remaining role players to free up that kind of space.

15. James88

James88 Member

Just like when Melo was in Denver and wanted to play in NYC. He held off and waited until the summer ... oh wait

16. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

No more ball dominant score first guy in the new team ball Houston. Besides, what had Melo won so far in the pro to be worth giving away Ask, Lin, & Parson? Melo and Harden can't coexist and with the 3 guys gone, we have nothing but iso balls between Harden & Melo with a totally frustrated Howard. No way.

17. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

melo does not fit with this team, i think the best fit would be Lamarcus Aldridge, he can shoot, rebound and pass on the high post, perfect fit along with harden and howard

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I have to scroll down a few pages to find Camelo on the RAPM ranking last year, while DWH/Harden and even Asik are right at the first page.

ISO, defense, ball dominant...I'd say no due to bad fit and 20mil+ price tag.

On the other hand, if we are rebuilding without a single star it would be a good idea.

19. torocan

torocan Member

We aren't getting LMA. Portland is 9-2 right now.

The *only* way we could possibly get LMA is if we had a legit star to trade... as in a 3 team trade with Melo, or Melo straight up for LMA + filler.

20. klutch sidy

klutch sidy Member

i think you have to have more of a stretch 4 (RYAN ANDERSON or CHANNING FRYE)

LA is great but his game is similar to Pau's. I dont think likes bigs playing offense in there with him.