1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF Melo goes on the trade block, should the Rockets get him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. StandontheLake

If it were Lin + Asik plus a couple picks, I'd have to think about it. But throwing in Parsons is too much.

We'd be taking on a structure of "Big 3 + draftees and guys on the minimum." I'm not sure this is group of guys to make that work. Fit issues with Melo and Harden are obvious.

2. jdjd

jdjd Member

As much as I'm NOT a Melo fan, I would have to agree with this. I'm sure people would have called James Worthy a ball hog if he wasn't playing with Magic and Kareem. The fact of the matter is you put the best collection of players on the court at all times. If you can put 5 all stars on the floor then you do it and worry about the fit later. I'm sure Morey would love to have Melo at the 3 with CP3 at the 1 and Love at the 4, damn the fit.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I would definitely take Aldridge over Love. Love is on a bad team and has yet to be able to help that team though they have some competent pieces around him. Remember Love is 6'7 1/2 in reality. I'd take Aldridge and even Bosh over him in a heart beat....

4. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I'm not crazy about the deal, but national team Melo is an interesting point. If he can defer and be more efficient on the national team, the more he has the wherewithal to step aside where there's talent next to him... I'd think he'd back off being a ball hog somewhat with harden next to him... I've always thought for Melo to be the best version of himself that he'd have to pay up more and iso less... Maybe with harden he'd blossom.... Idk but still a pretty big risk with his and hardens lack of defense.

5. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

Melo starts. Harden come off the bench.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Tonight harden played excellent defense for and 2 guard. He stayed with his man fought through screens closed out 90% of the time. Hustled back on d and made some great plays in transition while also playing the passing lanes getting easy steals. This was the most complete game by him on that end all year. Hopefully he can get his Rythem back after allstar and start hitting more 3s. He shoulda had 30 tonight with 21 shots. Harden played great and if he plays defenses like tonight I have no problem with him taking 20 shots a night. Him and melo would absolutely work hardens played with Durant why couldn't he play with Melo. Lol. It would be the most dynamic one two punch outside. We'd have the most powerful offensive team in the league and would just punish teams down low.

Harden= most physical guard in the game
    Melo=2nd most physical sf behind Lebron and loves to bang even plays pf.
    Howard= most physical center in the game on offense and defense. He's the only center who can get 25 and 15 every game.

I think Howard and harden would play good enough defense to cover melo on while the offense would be lethal. Melo and can play off ball and harden will get him the ball easy. I could see harden taking less ppg 20 and more assist 8. melo and Dwight would feast all
    Night with harden getting them easy buckets and then clutch time play a two man game with melo and harden. What team could stop that?

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Start him at PF and watch the Rockets dominate.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Besides a couple plays, Harden didn't really play that well. :rolleyes:

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, not even if he was free.

10. team5

team5 Member

Melo actually has a higher defense rating than Lebron even though eye test may tell you otherwise.

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

You guys think the Olympic team stuff means anything? Hell Kobe deferred on some of those national teams he was on. You are nuts if you think Melo would he ok with Harden as the focal point.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The more you really examine it if Houston got Melo, Harden would be the odd man out. Harden definitely isn't a better scorer yet doesn't even have Melo's effort on a nightly basis on defense. Harden would have to be moved overall. Harden traded, this team would go after a cheaper yet stronger defender at the 2 which brings us back to take a look at Courtney Lee.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Despite this thread being this long, there is literally no chance the Knicks trade him to the Rockets. It works for no one. Melo doesn't want to come here when he has NY/Chicago/LA. The Knicks aren't going to take Lin after that debacle(and Lin's necessary for salary matching). Overall no chance.

But there's no way Morey says no to a Melo trade where he doesn't have to give up Parsons. Warts and all, Melo's still a star and possibly superstar.

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

I just don't see a core of Dwight/Harden/Melo winning a championship. Why NY suck so much? I know it's a team game but they are REALLY bad in a really bad conference and division.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's Amar'e's contract that cripples the cap space they need to get decent players at the other positions. They had to cut a very good catch and shoot 3/4 in Novak along with other players just to get Bargnani in return. They literally have no cap space going to the next seasons to make a run at anything decent.. They are just hoping Amar'e can come in and contribute in some way but it's just a horrible awful contract and then you add in the fact that Chandler is catching the Amar'e syndrome and under performing while being injured quite often and you see just how bad it is there.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Is there a single Knicks player who would get rotation minutes on the Rockets besides Melo?

Chandler? Not better than Asik if you account for his injury issues and age
    Felton? JR? Shumpert? Hardaway? Bargnani? Amare? Wouldn't play them over Lin, Parsons, Beverley, Jones. Bargnani probably would sit behind Casspi given his lack of a 3pt shot.

The Knicks REALLY sucks.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. theangrycanary

I'd rather have Novak than Bargnagni...

19. Clarinetmonster

I hear what you're saying, but i just don't see Melo as a winner. Great scorer, yes. If he really does have scrubs around him, he has done nothing to elevate the players around him. I think every player in our core, to some degree have that elusive quality to be able to elevate the players around them in their own way - Harden, Dwight, Parsons, Bev,Jones, Lin. It would be an interesting experiment to throw Melo into the mix, but definitely risky from a chemistry standpoint, which I think is great right now.

20. theangrycanary

Hardaway and Jeremy Tyler look like they're going to be good. Tyson Chandler is still very good. Probly not giving it his all since he know's there's no way in Hell the season can be salvaged. Why get another injury?