1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

IF Melo goes on the trade block, should the Rockets get him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. rocketblood713

I wish our team could embrace being a villian but Dwight is a good guy so is Lin everyone likes Parsons depending on who you talk to everyone likes Harden

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do we get another basketball in a trade for Melo?

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Depends on the cost.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If we had Dwight, but no Harden, i could see some possibility for Melo here. But with Harden, Melo and Dwight together, there just wouldn't be enough touches for all of them thus minimizing their overall effectiveness when playing together.

Now, If Melo wanted to play on the second team, and NY wanted Asik/Lin, I would rather have 17M tied up with Melo than 17M with Asik/Lin. Super 6th man? :eek: NOT.

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

NY with Lin/Asik alone would win the Atlantic, easily.

6. coffeelover665

Melo goes to Houston because he misses Lin. No question about it. He saw the Jeremy Lin of NYC and didn't appreciate him until he received the Felton of point guards.

7. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I don't think most teams would give up anything for Melo given his ability to top out. If Morey wants to roll the dice, we have a shot.

Houston IN: Melo, Shumpert, Aldrich

Knicks In: Lin, Asik, Jones, Dmo, 2014 1st round pick.

8. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Opt out*

9. basketballholic

That is right. When you consider that Melo is going to opt out and be an unrestricted free agent with the Lakers having max cap space...that is going to eliminate around 25 teams from being interested in trading for Melo. That means a limited market and nobody is going to go all-in for him....unless it's Morey who really wouldn't care if Melo walked to the Lakers because he would simply use the cap space to get another player like Deng or Bosh or Dirk or Lebron or to sign players to 1-year deals and wait for 2015 free agency when Love, Millsap, and possibly Lebron, Bosh, etc. are all available.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Some thoughts I had on this when it was brought up in December:

11. basketballholic

Melo is a superstar player. Yes, he is a gunner on the Knicks. What else do they have? What else can they do?

But make no mistake about it, Melo is a superstar. And as such if he were combined with Dwight/Harden/Parsons he would elevate this team to the top of the West and I think he would push us into the Finals. He's not going to come here and jack 30 shots a night. Although he make take 30 on occasion as the defense dictates. He would make this team very, very difficult to beat in a 7-game series.

12. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Great point. The upside would be having cap space (assuming Melo leaves). We all know how much Morey values flexibility and cap space. I wouldn't be mad if we made a run at Melo.

13. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Melo will make it easier for Dwight as well. No one will double Dwight with Melo and Parsons on the wing.

14. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

If we got him in a deal like
    Asik lin Jones dmo and a 1st Rd pick
    For
    Mello shumpert and udrich

I would do this deal in a heart beat
    Your 3pt % would go up because Mello would be at the 4 shooting a good 3pt%
    And our best 3pt shooter Brooks would be in as a back up point guard again

Our rebounding would be a little better because Mello is averaging 9 boards per game
    And our defense would be about the same at the 4 spot but we would gain a good wing defender in shumpert.

Worst case scenario is we don't win the title and Mello leaves in free agency that still leaves us with around 20 -25 million to spend on whoever (LeBron, bosh)

The only thing I would miss is the first Rd pick and jones. That's worth a Mello rental to me.

15. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Melo doesn't like sharing the spotlight. If he didn't like Lin, then playing along with Harden will be difficult. The egomania would be through the roof. Melo says he wants to win, but the caveat is that he's gotta be the #1 star.

16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Fixed it for ya

17. basketballholic

In my humble opinion, the recent discussion about possibly a mega-deal with Boston for Rondo could very well be us re-directing Rondo to the Knicks for Melo or at least possibly making an approach to the Knicks for Melo.

I think there are several possibilities with Rondo. And they all hinge on us being able to shovel out Lin with Asik to get him. I still personally believe that both Asik and Lin are perfect fits for what Boston is doing and they will turn Boston into a perennial playoff team that with one more trade for a superstar using some of those picks and pick swaps could turn Boston back into a championship contender. I think Ainge knows and understands how valuable Lin is as a lead guard from the top and he understands how much value Asik brings to the table and those two along with a guy like Jones or DMo and some more picks from us while we take back another salary with Rondo...may be enough to get Rondo out of Boston.

And if that happens then it's a matter of what we do with Rondo. Do we keep him and see how it works out this year and then have him available in trade after this season for one of the other superstars wanting to fly such as Lebron???? Or do we turn him into Melo and make a run with Melo if possible?

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Why talk about 30 shots a night? Nobody but Wilt has ever done that. Many people here think Harden is a ballhog taking 16.

19. basketballholic

Because I didn't look it up. 24 shots a game to be more precise.

I threw out an exaggerated number to get all the "Melo is a ball hog, we don't want him" crowd to understand why he's a ballhog and that he wouldn't be one here.

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Because Amare and Melo worked so well? If you trade for Melo, you create major holes in bench depth, there won't be enough balls to go around. Melo is a flawed star. I'd rather use the money to re-up Parsons, and build a quality roster around Harden and Howard