1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

If Marbury is bought out, would you take a look?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 6, 2008.

?

If Marbury is bought out, would you sign him to a low risk contract?

1. Yes - sign him up for a very low risk contract

178 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No - He is a knucklehead.

284 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I voted Yes !! If at a low risk why not !! DD I'm not sure if he's better than Rafer but he's definately better than Francis !!

2. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Marbury always says the right things on TV... The guy isnt going to stop being a knucklehead now. Plus Marbury will absolutely NOT work work on this team. We already have two primary scoring options. Marbury will NOT settle for being the third or fourth scoring option

3. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I think he will be ok for 1 year.
    Atleast take a look at him.

I certainly dont want to begain the season knowing we didnt do anything.

If i was able to sign Marbury on the cheap as apposed to trade for Hinrich, i would take Marbury over Hinrich because both are still questionable in terms of production.

Marbury can give us anything Hinrich can give us with a cheaper contract.

4. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

<div><object width="420" height="339"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x5zz53" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x5zz53" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="339" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x5zz53">Loko</a></b><br /><i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/boces">boces</a></i></div>

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No. Absolutely not.

6. Laurent

Laurent Member

SM is definitely a trouble-maker, not good to our locker room.

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

IF he signs a vet min deal, and IF Bjax, Head, and Francis are gone via trade or retirement then yes.

He is a knucklehead, but if he takes a min deal that's got to take him down a peg, and he'd still be more talented than Rafer, and I still don't know how Brooks will settle into the league. This team isn't the Knicks, Battier, Yao and company won't let the locker room fall apart.

8. Roxxx4life

Roxxx4life Member

I voted yes... If we sign him for the right price... I think he got caught up with all the mess in NY... Some players get better if they've another chance to different team...

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

And Minnesota. And New Jersey. And Phoenix. And Houston, if we sign him.

Marbury doesn't get caught up in the mess; he IS the mess.

If we sign Marbury, we might as well fire Morey and Adelman and bring in Isiah to handle the GM and coaching duties -- same end result, but we'll get there sooner!

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

Oh yeah, lets put him in the backcourt with Steve Francis!

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Dat boy. He a knucklehead. He's coo, a coo-coo for copo-cuffs.

[​IMG]

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

let's be real, wherever he went outside of the year in minny with KG, he was THE best player on those teams.

if he was to come here, he would at most be the 4th option after tmac, yao, and scola.

and to be fair, isiah did not have tracy or yao in NY :p

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

and to be fair, isiah did do a great coaching job while he was with the pacers.

NY was a mess before he came. it remains a mess.

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

The problem with Marbury is that he believes there is some mythical All-Star player that exists named Starbury. Starbury exists as a better scorer than AI and a better distributor than Nash. Starbury can jump higher and can easily light up the court on any given day with 30 ppg. The problem is, this mythical player only exists in Marbury's head. When is the last time you saw Marbury putting up All-Star numbers. Not to mention that Marbury has come to epitomize all the problems that the Knicks had. He butted heads with Isiah and before him Larry Brown. He pouted and threatened to turn in dirt on Isiah during the sexual harrasement case unless Isiah played him. He got his wish and then get injured. Isiah wanted to start Mardy Collins in front of him. I wish Marbury the best of luck and whatever team ends up with him not named the Rockets!

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Amen, Brother Poprocks. We can be thankful that Morey is a smart guy and will no doubt laugh hysterically if someone brings up the possibility of Marbury being a Rocket.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like the idea of Marbury on the cheap. Think about the problems Rafer had in Toronto and last summer, yet people love him and his 37% shooting. Then look at Francis. Marbury has been in the playoffs more than Francis and has always been a better player. Did I forget Francis wanting to stay back to kick it during superbowl weekend when the rox were in a heavy fight for the playoffs.

Marbury is a good player that can take the pg spot if its a ope competition. I'm not saying he's all world I know the history, but has anyone ever looked at the teams he's played with? Marbury leaving Minny was all his bad. He thought because KG was getting paid so muchhe couldn't be the alpha dog, which he couldve been because its never been a role KG wanted.

Once in jersey he was supposed to lead a team with a struggling Van Horn, a injury plagued Kittles and in 2000 the number pick also got injured. He's traded to Phoenix.

In 02 he led a rookie,a 3rd yr and a 4 yr pro to the playoffs and lost to the Spurs in a pretty competitive series. The next season Amare started the season on the dl. They fired the coach traded him to the knicks.

Say what u want, but this is the last time the knicks have been in the playoffs. Despite what was said, he led his hometown team into the playoffs.

Its been downhill since, but he is a true pg. He's strong,can penetrate and is very competetive. This last year has been tough with his dad dying and all, but if he really has something to prove, offer him the bi annua and open the competition up. If he's straight, he'll beat out every pg on the roster. I really don't worry about him,yao,and tracy actually. He's more headstrong while yao and tracy are more passive. They don't have to go get drinks together,they just have to play on the court together. In fact its a know fact ray allen doesn't like the profanity laced tirade of kg, but they get along. Its worth it to me. How many choir boys does thi team wants. I would like to see a pg that can recognize a fast break chance and can attack the defense. If u could get that guy for 2m innba money, that's pretty good.

17. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I like the idea of catching lightning in a bottle with Marbury by way of a low risk contract. I think there is a good chance he will have a better season next year with a better team.

All Im saying is lets deal with one reject at a time. The Rox already have SF for another year at 2 plus mil. If you are going to go after Marbury please do something about SF. I do not want to see them both holding down roster spots that Brooks or Greene could be occupying.

I really hope Brooks makes a huge stride into starting pg contention for this team. I really think he will too. For that reason I am not too crazy about the rox going after another pg. At the same time I feel that if he is going to get the job, he needs to earn it by way of Rafer and whoever else the Rox put in front of him. There is no doubt in my mind that he has the ability to be the second PG off the bench for the Rox.

18. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

He went into "relax mode" mixed in with the hard ass Larry Brown's and the bad on court chemistry Thomas which translate's to bad front office chemistry.

Notice that video all the sudden he wants to give fans more production, notice it's his contract season too with a run and gun coach which will inflate his numbers and he knows that which tells me he is very capable of doing so.

His contract and all that money was the problem so he went into relax mode and didnt give max effort the last 3 seasons.

19. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

With so many people wanting a replacement for Rafer or at least a back up, who is better (and available if bought out) than Marbury. Not a lot of PG's available, plus he can score. Worth a serious consideration.

20. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

He is still capable of 17 points and 7 assist.

Marbury, i dont know what his issue was. He had 7 All-Star productive seasons and 2 of them in his first years in New York 03/04, 04/05, then suddenly for some reason his numbers went on a decline out of no where.

I think what happened was his contract was too much forced him to not give full effort because with some players it's like that. They get paid and dont give a **** untill the contract season. see- Mike James

Notice my previous bulletin of that video, all the sudden he wants to give fans more production, notice it's his contract year and it's for a run-and-gun coach to help inflate his numbers. I think it's the coaches. Larry Brown is a hard ass and Thomas is not even a coach, bumping elbow's with a GM who just so happens to be his coach is a No-No which translates to bad on court chemistry which then translate to bad front office personel. He is not very popular with his team mates supposely.

I feel Marbury is still capable of 17 points and 7 assist for another 2-3 years and he is only 31 if that.

He only played 24 games last season before he was banned, not only that but 7 of the last 8 seasons there was no serious injuries to be concerned about in terms of him declining as a player.

Look at Nash and look at Billups they are still doing it.
    There could be others.

Alston had a better year and he got older.

His numbers have gone up and down through out his career.