1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If it had not been the Heat?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 15, 2011.

?

What if the Mavs had played someone else would you give the same respect?

1. Yes, I would.

46 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. No, I wouldn't.

48 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. I wouldn't have cared about the championship.

16 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I've been seeing a lot of props and respects given to Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavs recently. Personally I think they deserve the respect but I am wondering if hatred of Lebron and the Heat is coloring that.

What if the Mavs had played someone else like Boston or Chicago would you be giving as much props and respects to them?

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

I have yet to see a monkey fly, so my answer is hell to the no. I mean, I would "respect" the way that they played, but I would not have been rooting for them in any way whatsoever.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

A little less, because I like Kidd because I grew up watching him, and I like Dirk because he's a humble German guy, but watching the Heat lose was great.

For the record, now that those guys have won a ring, I could care less. The Mavs could lose every game from now until judgement day, and I wouldn't lose any sleep.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

i would have wanted the mavs to win had they faced either the bulls or celtics but probably not the magic

bulls - i like rose and thibs but too many former jazz players - namely carlos boozer -
    celtics - no need for them to get another ring
    magic - nothing against them would have been funny if arenas somehow made it and was the finals mvp

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

There are very few other matchups that would've made the Mavs the "good guys." Lakers, Jazz, Heat

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I’ve never liked Dirk or the mavs and I’ve slept good at night up until now knowing that they would probably never win a championship. But this year’s team reminded me so much of the 94 Rockets that it was hard not to pull for them. One humble superstar, who has more than paid his dues, surrounded by a bunch of role players going up against the media darlings, then not getting any respect after they slay the dragon. Sound familiar, Rocket fans?

Of course, I would have pulled for al Qaeda if they were playing the heat this year. I admit it, I’m a heat hater and damn proud of it.

Dirk has really mellowed out on all the flopping he did early in his career, Cuban kept his mouth shut the entire series, and even the hated Jason Terry didn’t do anything annoying.

Mav fans aren’t NEARLY as obnoxious as cowboy fans, which is odd considering they’re the same people. Seriously, how many mav bumper stickers do you see in Houston? And how many cowboy bumper stickers do you see in Houston? When’s the last time you heard an obnoxious mav fan on the radio? You can hear an obnoxious cowboy fan on the radio every day.

All that being said, now that they've beaten the heat, I hate them again. But there's a little bit of respect added to the hate now.

1 person likes this.
  7. RV6

RV6 Member

It's the NBA finals, unless the opponent just layed down and rolled over, how can you not give the winning team props?

8. K mf G

K mf G Member

if it wasnt the heat, dallas would have lost

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I would have given them respect if they won, regardless of which team they played, because any team that wins the NBA Finals deserves respect.

I wouldn't have gone for them, though. Only reason I went for the Mavs against the Heat is because I didn't want it to come easy for LeBron, Bosh, and co.

Now it's back to hating them.

10. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Actually, that's not true. I know many Cowboys fans that are that because the Oilers left. I know many Titans fans that stuck with the franchise for some unknown reason. I was a gerneral football fan until we got the Texans, I did follow the Titans a little because some of the Ties back to the Oilers, but once we got football back in Houston, I jumped ship. Problem with all the new Cowboys fans is they weren't around for ANY of the Super Bowls they one. I remember those super bowls and actually pulled for the Cowboys due to them being from Texas...however their fans are so much more obnoxious these days.

Crazy enough, I have a buddy that's a Rockets fan, a Cowboys fan and a Braves fan...since he was a kid...go figure.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I would have respected the Mavs, but as a Rockets fan, no way in the world I would have pulled for them to win unless it was the Heat. If it was the Bulls, I would be crushed the Mavs won the championship.

I'll say this much: The fact the Mavs did it with their 2nd best player injured nearly the whole season was special. That earned serious props. Then their utter humiliation of the Lakers changed my whole perception of their team. Instead of wanting them to lose at any cost, my feelings weren't so strong.

1 person likes this.
  12. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I only pulled for them because i hate the heat for what they stand for but now that they've won im back to hating them lol

13. BleedRocketsRed

If not Heat, then Bulls right?

If Bulls, hell yeah I'd root for the Mavs.

I'd rather see LBJ get a ring than losers like Boozer/Brewer/Korver get it.

14. Patience

Patience Member

The Mavs gained my respect in sweeping Evil Empire #1 (the Lakers), and then by beating Evil Empire #2 (The Heat). In both of these series, the Mavs were the underdog, they were the harder working team, and they were the classier team.

The Mavs have done nothing this season to make me hate them, so continuing to hold a grudge against a team because they beat us in the first round once (6 years ago) is just sour grapes.

1 person likes this.
  15. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I would root for Celtics or Bulls but if Mav won I would still respect them.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

I don't know what you have against Brewer. Korver and Boozer I understand. But while Brewer was on the Jazz; I just didn't really hate him...

Go Bulls man. D-Rose needs a ring. Too many haters already clowning him for losing to the Heat.

17. Chris Jent MVP

YES.

just like i said in the other thread, rockets > texas > sw division > western conference

i'm glad the mavs won it, they represent the best state, the best division, the best conference.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

but the heat beat everybody in the east and the mavericks beat everybody in the west so doesnt that make your point stupid?

19. BleedRocketsRed

Brewer is solid and Korver can be deadly. Only real reason I hate them is because they were on those j*zz teams (which is weird since I really do like Deron).

However Loozer is a softy, a joke, a scumbag. Sure Rose needs a ring but I'll only root for that once he is no longer teammates with those j*zz (but by then, the Rockets should be contenders, so I guess I'll never root for that).

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

If the Mavs played someone like Chicago or Boston, I would have given them the same praise.

The defense by CHI and BOS are pretty much on Miami's level, if not better. Nowitzki would have to go up either against Noah or Garnett; both are ridiculously good defenders.