1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If I were the coach.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLAGRANT1, Oct 8, 2003.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I'm am so excited the season has started--I plan my unemployment around the Rockets season, ya' know.
    I was impressed with the amount of picks and slashes in the offense last night. Wilks and Scales looked incredibly quick last night; Amaechi looked like the garbage that he is; Mooch probably needs a change of scenary and the only reason I would keep Nachbar around another year is because he is young and we wasted a 1st rounder on him.

Now I know the world is not perfect( I know most of our roster is set and signed) but based on summer performances and the 1st preseason game who would you like to see on the roster?

My team would be:

Francis/ Wilks
    Cat/ Scales
    JJ/ Piatkowski/ Griff
    MoT/ EGriff/ Cornell(Hustle Man)
    Yao/ Cat

IR: Boki( Fractured D)

Who would you run with and what are your opinions of the camp invitees?

2. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

I agree with your lineup. Introducing the Rockets' new ball boy, Boki Nachbar!

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I was excited about a lot of things I saw in last night's game. Here are a few of them:

EG was aggressive on offense in the post. He didn't convert every shot (3/8), but grabbed 5 boards and had 7 points in the 1st quarter. He is going to be a stud on the glass and in the post.

Cat and Steve both started out passing the ball. They both had some breakdowns (Cat trying to split the double team, Wink dribbling down the clock), but it was a much more ball movement oriented offense. They were also both very aggressive on the defensive end with Steve swatting balls away from the offensive players and Cat diving for a loose ball in a preseason game.

Wilks looks great. He is extremely quick and knows how to break down presses and traps. His range is pretty good and he sets up teammates very well.

Scales is something else. He really showed quickness, athleticism, and the ba11s to take the ball to the rack.

Personally, I would experiment some with Wilks at the point and Steve at 2, which would really open up our offense IMO. Granted that this is based on a single preseason game, but if Wilks is consistently as good as he was last night, we could have a lineup like this:

PG: Wilks, Mooch
    SG: Steve, Cat, Pike, Scales(IR)
    SF: JJ, AGriff, Boki
    PF: EGriff, MoT
    C: Yao, Cato, Cornell(IR)

That is a pretty deep team everywhere considering that Steve and Cat would probably see plenty of time on the court together even with Mobes being a 6th man. Of course, that would be predicated on Wilks being consistently as good as he looked last night AND Steve playing tenacious D on SGs.

I thought it was a productive outing for a team starting with a new system and missing 2 HUGE pieces in Yao and Taylor. I was impressed at how the ball was hopping in the 1st quarter and I am very excited to see Yao's first game on Friday.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

so cat wil play center, that way we are sure he doesn't dribble to much:D

sorry had to do this:D

overal iagree with your team, only i think i would want piatowski as sub SG, but i haven't seen scales play that much

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

At first I liked the idea of starting Mo, but we have so many offensive weapons that I would start Griffin and bring Mo off the bench giving the us some firepower. And DON'T move Francis to the 2-guard spot. We don't need him gunning up shots, we need him to pass the ball more.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Guaranteed Contracts:
    C- Yao, Cato, Amaechi
    PF- E. Griffin, Mo t.
    SF- Jjackson, A. Griffin, Nachbar
    SG-Cat, Piat
    PG-Francis, Moochie

That’s 12 players on the roster with guaranteed contracts. I don’t see us starting off the season with more than 2 players on the IR so that means 1 player out of all the scrubs will make it and If I had to beat I’d put my money Wilks and maybe cornell.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What exactly is Boki doing that is not good? I know he only shot 38 percent last night but his stats were almost identicle to EG's and looked similar if not better than many of JPo's stats from last year. I am curious, if Boki had gone 4 for 8 for 50% instead of 3 for 8 for 38% if people would still be calling him a bust. After all he does seem to rebound very well for a small forward and by all acounts he hustles on both offense and defense. I did not have the option of watching him last night so please give a complete critique of his performance.

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

All this after 1 preseason game?

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Makes you wonder what will happen if we lose tonight's game too.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i think people wil start saying that we should trade mobley and francis:D

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

What do you mean start?? They never stopped saying it. :)

12. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I know!!! I want to see more of Scales and Wilks though. Moochie looked horrible last night and Nachbar is disappointing. I would love to see Wilks and Scales make this squad, but I don't see it because of guaranteed money.

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

If I was king I’d wear a ring
    And never hurt my people
    I’d stay alert and dress to kill
    I might even slip you something

lyrics from "What Deaner Was Talkin’ About"-WEEN

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

it has been a long summer

Rocket RIver

15. iball

iball Contributing Member

I still don't get why people are calling Boki a bust. He played OK. He moves very well without the ball and he rebounds very well. Handles are good too. Didn't shoot all that well last night but with more repitition, I can see that changing. He was just barely off. On D, he bodied up pretty well and seemed to know what he was doing. Looked better than the summer league game (the televised game) for sure.

#15 iball, Oct 8, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2003
  16. SLA

SLA Member

Wilks looked very good...and Francis at the 2 isn't that bad of an idea. Francis can shoot and he is a penetrator. He is a shooting guard. Wilks won't be that great all the time though. I wouldn't mind this starting lineup though. It would be pretty good and fun to watch on offense.

Francis/Wilks/Norris
    Mobley/Piatkowski/Scales
    Jackson/AGriffin/Nachbar
    Griffin/Taylor
    Yao/Cato/Cornell

This was just one game though..

17. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I would much rather see Cornell out there than Amaechi.

18. rocketinmypants

If you were the coach you would be employed, right?

19. suddenimpact

suddenimpact Member

Wilks plays like Moochie did before Moochie got his big contract and big belly!

20. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

if i were coach, id' trade francis and mobley for artest and brent barry+ picks