1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If I were Memphis and OKC..............

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jopatmc, Jun 18, 2009.

1. basketballholic

Rings and role malakas. You don't have to be ridiculous. Chalmers is a role player/part time starter, the equivalent of a BJ Armstrong on the Jordan Bulls championship teams. Rubio is not a role player/part time starter. He is a premier player for his team. And will remain so for years to come barring career ending injuries.

Allen is not a point guard. Rubio is a better defender than Payton. Not to mention a far superior offensive player. Smart is coming up. He could become a great player as soon as this year. He's got great defensive potential with his ability to lock down points as well as switch off onto 2's and 3's. So Smart is an up-an-comer. But we're not talking about all those guys. We're talking about the 09 draft.

2. malakas

malakas Member

No I'm not talking about Spanoulis. I'm talking about his obssesive fan/troll who follows him around and hates with a passion Rubio. Can't imagine what kind of convos he would have had with you.:grin:

You are right expect if a pg can't shoot at all, the defence doesn't respect him and puts more pressure on his teammates. Even if they get the ball on good timing they are quickly covered. These shots are not left wide open.
    Same goes not only for Rubio but for all the pgs who can't shoot.
    At least if Rubio could finish well it would be better.
    He's definitely a factor on his team's lack of success. Because he can't take on any of the scoring burden and he can't help his teammates shoot open.
    It's extremely hard nowadays to build a team around Rubio. And it's hard to find a team that Rubio can fit in.
    It would need shooters in all positions and even then most of the time it would be 4 on 5 in offence.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Right now Rubio's game makes him a role player.
    As for my examples they are players who are premier defenders at the guard positions. It doesn't matter if Allen isn't a pg. When it comes to defence he has Rubio beaten hands down. And even then because he can't shoot at all or finish he was taken advantage in the POs and led to his team's loss.
    Not sure who is better between Payton and Rubio defensive wise. He was a rookie and he was in the team with the worst coach.
    Let's see this year when they got Skiles. I think he will end up being the best defensive pg in the league pretty soon.
    Still he will have the same problems that Rubio has because he can't hit the wide open of a barn.

4. basketballholic

Generally speaking, with mere mortals, this is correct. But with the great ones, (Magic, Rubio, etc.), they have the ability to create against multiple defenders and use their ball wizardry to still get their teammates wide open looks. I have watched every game Rubio has played since he's been in the league. He's a great, great playmaker and generates his teammates TONS of open looks. You put him on the Clippers for instance, and he would immediately average over 10 assists per game. Yes, over 10. I can't prove it to you. But I can see it when I watch the games. When Rubio gets a better team, you will then see it.

His lack of health is a factor in his team's lack of success. But Ricky, when healthy, has proven to be a factor in his team's wins...not their losses. The Wolves have been significantly better with a healthy Ricky on the floor than they have when he has been injured.

I'm hoping you're right that it's hard to find a team that Rubio can fit on. I hope his trade value continues to deteriorate and we take advantage of it at some point. But I have my doubts. I suspect he'll finally be jettisoned to LA or NY and will become the focal point of a highly successful team that is a pain in the butt to beat. Of course, when that happens you and others will be talking about how much Rubio improved after his first 4 seasons instead of understanding how great he was despite being on losing teams in a losing organization surrounded by losing coaches and losing front office personnel.