1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

If I Slipped Jon Gruden Some Truth Serum ...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Dec 14, 2010.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

ummm, they need 2 new starters at defensive tackle, another defensive end, a starting OLB, another starting corner, and another starting safety. that is a ton

not to mention another receiver

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

blah blah blah

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you're part of the problem.

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I agree with this. I sure as hell will take him over Kubiak at this point, but Gruden is a little overrated.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I would love to have Jon Gruden coach the Texans. He was very critical of the Texans during MNF and had some insightful comments about our team, which means he is a good commentator or is holding out for the Texans job.

In Tampa Bay, he took over a team that could not get over the hump, having lost the previous two years in the NFC Wild Card. Texans are close enough and they just need a push. It's Gruden, Cowher, Dungy or a co-ordinator. There is no way Kubiak is staying.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd say it's *possible* we are okay at DE with Mario-Smith-Anderson, especially if Barwin recovers.

Two DTs (or one NT????), absolutely.

Starting CB, yes.

FS - probably, UNLESS you think Nolan has a chance to take over Wilson's spot (I think he could, with real coaching).

WLB - maybe? I don't see this as a glaring position of need, with Diles and Sharpton there. I'd be more concerned about MLB; a blown Achilles is not easy to fully recover from. But even there, Bentley looks okay. One thing Bush has brought to the table - he's terrific in evaluating and developing talent at LB.

I still don't get what really led to the sharp drop off with Walter. I do believe that Daniels' inability to really play this year hampered the offense in a huge way, possibly making it tougher on Walter to get free.

If I'm putting together a priority board for acquisitions, it would be:

CB

DT/NT

FS

OL (C, especially)

SS

WR

If Amukamara or Peterson get within our reach, that's a no brainer, but both are projected to go quick and I'm not anticipating a pick better than #9. There are a couple of nice DEs that should be available...but why upgrade the ends when you have a gaping hole in between them?

Fairely, Paea, or Bailey would be nice if we could trade back a couple spots and pick up a 3rd along the way.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Now this would be the same Gruden who didn't recognize the Texans' mascot before the game when he spoke with Andre "The Hamma" Johnson, correct? Seriously though I am also not a big fan of Chucky as the head coach.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I listen to these Super Bowl head coaches every Sunday and I don't really hear any new or dramatic information that any serious fan couldn't come up with on their own.

If I'm hiring a new head coach I want to see an analysis of the team, an opinion on what mistakes were made and a concrete, point by point plan to rectify them.

I just don't think NFL coaching is an objective science, and has less to do with winning and losing than luck. If I had to choose between a top flight coach and a top flight quarterback it's no contest, I'll take the QB.

Did Shanahan get stupid this year? Did Rex Ryan's force of personality take the Jets to new heights? In my opinion, Bill Belichick is about the only coach in the league that make a real difference in winning and losing. And, I don't understand how he does it, though Tom Brady is a huge part of his success.