1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If I am the astros, I would trade Springer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Aug 19, 2016.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Bagwell was at a tristar card show in June and he asked the crowd who their favorite current Astros is. Everyone said Altuve or Correa. He said, that’s too easy, my guy is George Springer. My favorite player to see play. Watch out for how good he’s going to be.

Now he’s probably 4th for me of the franchise 4, but I noted at the time how much Bags enjoyed watching him play.

Palilo has brought this up but few have a top 2 at Correa, Altuve level. Add in Bregman and comparable top 3’s are hard to find. Add in Springer and literally no other team can match that top 4.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

This is why people feel you need to seek help.

Malaya likes this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I kind of feel bad for Aoki. He was traded with another player for Liriano...who was basically a bust (albeit he got the one key out in the WS game 7 and some recorded outs in prior playoff series; but, remember how bad he was for a while when he came over?). Aoki was so close to getting a ring and has a long career where he is deserving of one. But, you change one little thing like that...and you just don't know what happens then. It could be Liriano was necessary to get that one key out...or we end up losing. lol. So, I feel bad for Aoki to an extent but not if it meant changing what we did there in winning it all. It just kind of sucks for him. That's the breaks!

Another Brother likes this.
  4. dandorotik

No, this is not classic board. This is classic What because you put out some of the most baffling, nonsensical suggestions to the point where you have a well-documented REPUTATION for doing so. I don't mind if people call me the Resume guy or the Cheap Trick Fanatic guy, but being known as the Ridiculous Thread guy is not a moniker to be proud of.

5. dandorotik

Aoki does get a ring.

msn likes this.
  6. Surfguy

oh...does he? cool. that's weird. what's the rule?

7. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Aoki is getting a ring, but I think I know what you mean. He should be there celebrating with the team.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...t-realize-will-get-astros-world-series-rings/

8. dandorotik

It's crazy- it's anyone who played at all:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...t-realize-will-get-astros-world-series-rings/

As the dust settled on the Cubs' World Series title in 2016, I decided to take a quick and fun look back at some of the players who would get World Series rings despite very little in the way of on-field contributions to the title. It happens every season, and it can give us a quick little chuckle, so we're going to do it again.

The Houston Astros just won the 2017 World Series on Wednesday, and Friday was their victory parade. We've already discussed Carlos Beltran getting a ring and surely many have thought about Justin Verlander finally getting one, in addition to all the young stars the Astros have winning it all. What about the whole list, though? It's now the perfect time to take a look at some of the guys who will be on that "wait, he got a ring?" list.

Obviously, we aren't going to include players still on the team for the playoffs or those who got a lot of playing time before departing, such as Nori Aoki (71 games before being traded). This is truly the place for the obscure.

David Paulino
    Contribution: The biggest contributor here, Paulino threw 29 innings this season in six starts. He pitched to a 6.52 ERA and the Astros still won four of the six games he started, thanks to 10.38 runs scored per start. They even scored seven and six runs, respectively, in the two losses. Paulino didn't appear after July 1, as he was popped for a positive steroid test. And yet, he's going to get a ring.

Dayan Diaz
    Contribution: In 13 innings of work in the majors this season, Diaz had a 9.00 ERA and 1.62 WHIP. He appeared in a game on May 14 and then nine more times from June 7 to July 6. His WAR was negative-0.4, and win probability added was also negative, so he was more like win probability subtracted. He also will have a ring and we don't.

AD BY EMIRATESHello Tomorrow: Fly Emirates.
    Jandel Gustave
    Contribution: The young righty worked in just five innings with the latest in the season being April 18. He went on the DL with a muscle strain and ended up needing Tommy John surgery. So 2017 for Gustave resulted in a 5.40 ERA, 2.40 WHIP, Tommy John surgery and a World Series ring. Quite the combo there.

Ashur Tolliver
    Contribution: Another reliever, this time a lefty. Tolliver worked on May 21, July 2 and July 4. That's it. Five innings in three outings, pitching to a 3.60 ERA and 1.66 WHIP. He actually went backward from that July 4 outing, heading to Triple-A Fresno and then finishing the season with Double-A Arkansas. How many Double-A players are gonna get a 2017 World Series ring? Just one. Trivia question!

Jordan Jankowski
    Contribution: Yet another reliever, the right-handed Jankowski worked 4 1/3 innings in three appearances. The numbers are ugly at a 12.46 ERA and 2.08 WHIP. Let's say this, though: Jankowski was a 34th-rounder out of Catawba College in 2012, and he's appeared in 237 minor-league games. At age 28, he got to make his debut in The Show this year. Now he'll get a ring. That's pretty damn cool.

Teoscar Hernandez
    Contribution: The 25-year-old outfielder has good upside and will likely become a major-league regular someday, as soon as next year. He actually hit .278/.350/.806 with six homers in his last nine games this season. It's just that it was with the Blue Jays. With the Astros, he contributed 1 1/3 innings in the field before he had to be carted off the field following an ugly collision with Jose Altuve. He didn't even get a plate appearance, but he could be getting a ring. He's probably the most obscure/fun one here, knowing that both players are fine now after the collision.

marks0223 likes this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With this logic, you should be doubly happy that Liriano finally experienced a World Series win, Aoki was in the league for six years, Liriano 12. Plus, Aoki played in the Series in 2014, while this was Liriano’s first.

10. Surfguy

Good to know. I honestly didn't even think about checking Liriano's history. I'm still pissed at him for his first six or seven outings as an Astro. He probably cost us the best record in baseball with that crap. ;)

11. Major

Major Member

If we play the Yankees in the first round instead of 2nd, maybe we lose or have to face Cleveland in round 2 and lose that matchup. Maybe Liriano is a huge reason we made and won the WS. :)

megastahr and marks0223 like this.
  12. Surfguy

It could be. In the end, you can look back at any particular play in any particular game by any particular player...and point to that as the reason. It's what makes this World Series win all the more remarkable. There are so many key plays that had to be made at the right times...either with the glove or with the bat. The Bregman plays throwing to home stand out. That was some hard sh_t to get to the endpoint. I'm still in shock basically.

13. baubo

baubo Member

I would never trade Springer, but I wouldn't be angry if he wasn't re-signed when he becomes a FA. Between him and Altuve I really doubt we keep both given their price tags.

The Astros will have to make some hard decisions in 2 years, but until then the path is simple. Add pieces to the core and maximize our chance of winning each season.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If I was what, I would trade the barn for Springer right now because I traded him two years ago.

moonsh0t likes this.
  15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Writer (OP) of Wrongs with a blast from the past!

16. Swack

Swack Member

I feel you. Aoki should get a ring if I understand the rules correctly. Aoki had a brief but beloved tenure with us. He was a reliable hitter and always had good at bats, making lots of contact. I felt this worked well in our offense, wearing down pitchers before facing the top of our lineup again. He was cheered when he returned to MMP as a Bluejay. I was also excited to get Liriano at the time, however as you have said, he has been a bust for us. They are both vets, and both will get rings. Aoki deserves it for his reg season contributions, and Liriano really only for the 1 out in game 7.

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Glad that Aoki is getting a ring.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

shouldn’t you be focused on the titans or the grand old opry or bud adams or squirrel soup?

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Thank god you aren't the Astros.

#80 T for 3, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017