1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF house was worth 3/11 ... why didn't we sign him last year ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jul 1, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The only reason I can think of is LTS

Out of all the things that have gone on in FA .... this is what pisses me off the most

We lost months of House's play last season because we were busy trying to hardball him . We could have been in a better position standings wise . House himself could have and probably would have been better if he was getting NBA playing time vs not even playing down in rgv.

What are the other scenarios ?

We really thought we needed to save the MLE to use at the buyout market ?

Let me ask another question ... if we had signed house last season ... would we have more money to use this offseason ?

I'm not sure this has been covered in the house thread ... but this 3/11 is coming out of our MLE right ?

Here's the thing . It's Tilman's team . At the end of the day , he's gonna pay what he wants to . But , in a season where harden was playing that well , to not do everything in your power to put the best team around him isn't a justifiable move IMO . IF tilman is that scared of the repeater tax then it's not that he's financially prudent ... he's a p***y .

This isn't a reactionary FA thread . I didn't think much was gonna happen anyways . We are in a really tough spot cap wise and asset wise ... and a lot of people could see that from the get go . Butler was kinda our best hope , and Morey had to go for it .

I'm just mystified why we didn't sign D house last year ? After all ... we could have basically given him the same contract no ?

For those that say "he was on the team during the playoffs" ... yes that's true , but some of those mistakes he made are probably due to lack of experience.... the exact thing he would have gained had we not done this whole g league shuffle .

Barring a huge development , we will once again rely on guys to outperform their contracts (i.e. Take some gambles and hope they pay off ) or get internal improvement from guys like Clark and hartenstein . Would have been nice to get those guys more NBA minutes last year ....

Kim, Easy, s3ts and 9 others like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because Morey has never done that before even when Tillman it wasn’t here

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Cheap Ass Tilman

Is TIlman in Financial Trouble?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

well you dont gain playoff experience in the regular season. two completely different animals.

I thought it was always understood that the move was for lts at the time. what was the 3 year deal total originally offered again numbers wise. I know it was reported as 3 years at min. but yeah looking back, the difference really wasn't enough to be doing nothing for like 2-3 months lol

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is true, but I think in this case it was obviously to help Tilman’s pocket.

Would have opened up more avenues to improve this summer. Alas....

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We wanted to make him a better asset (team option)

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Come on,

this isn't a question.

Morey admitted he purposely ducked luxury tax savings because it was so easy to do. He had a mandate to avoid the repeater during CP3's contract. He did it in year one.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not sure if that scrub team last year was worth repeater status.

/DucksUndercover

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"but we just stumbled into not paying the tax. i don't even know how it happened. we almost had a deal that would have put us over the taxline but we just couldn't get it done. but believe me, there wasn't any sort of conscious effort to avoid the tax at all"

Gray_Jay, snowconeman22 and J Sizzle like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

True

But if we are truly going "all in" it makes too much sense IMO to deviate from that and secure all the help you can get now .

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Giving Daniel House a contract or not wasn't going to get the team past the Warriors.

Lets stop with that. Yeah House leveraged the 2 way deal to force his way back on the team before the playoffs but that ended up helping out Morey too. House sucked and what could have been an even bigger contract ended as a stalemate. Morey and House ended at a draw.

14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Didn't House (or his agent) want more? Or at least, thought he was worth more?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Everything done in the past calendar year was done in the name of Luxury Tax Savings.

Gray_Jay, snowconeman22 and bilaal14 like this.
  17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While yes House wasn't getting us past the Warriors necessarily he could have helped us get 1 or 2 wins in the regular season and maybe we could have played a depleted Warriors team in a series like Toronto did. Now, of course we still could have lost to the Warriors or Raptors but I think our chances were better if we were able to play the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals but we will never know.

18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This me assuming. So excuse me if I make ass and dont know the exact details. Bima is the Cap God around here.

But I assume it was because they had been planning this JB deal way back then, and thought JB could have been our starting SF, once Rockets got the memo he was not coming they went ahead and signed him. idk though.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think House was hoping for a lot more, but after his terrible playoff performance, this is what he gets. Good value for the Rockets, hopefully.

20. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

You have alot of growing to do....young grasshopper. Chess not checkers.

candlegreen and dmoneybangbang like this.