1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If home court is decided, how would you play the Jazz in the season finale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SpiffyRifi, Apr 6, 2007.

1. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Assuming that home court advantage is decided prior to going into that final game, how would you want to see the Rockets play the Jazz in that final game? If we ended the season against a team other than the Jazz and the game was "meaningless" I think its a no-brainer, you rest your stars and start thinking about the playoffs. However, I don't think its that clear since the season finale is against the Jazz. Even if we're not playing for homecourt at the point there are strong reasons to play at full strength.

Pros to playing full strength: If we win it could provide a confidence boost entering the playoffs, it could help us see how they will play us and we can make adjustments (win or lose), we can experiment during the game to see what may work better against the Jazz, we may get rid of any first game jitters which tend to show up as we could already be in playoff mode, and if we win on their homecourt we could hurt their confidence.

Cons to playing full strength: If we lose we could give THEM a confidence boost and take a hit to ours, we give them a chance to fine tune how they will play us and we increase the chance of fatigue and injury to our stars.

I think if homecourt advantage is still for the taking, we play at 100%, but this question is assuming the last game doesn't matter in determining home court advantage. And again, its not what do you think JVG will do, its what would YOU do.

2. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

If the last game is meaningless you want to give your starters some playing time to keep them sharp but you don't want to risk injury. Play them early then sit em.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Shut down Deron Williams.

Hayes and Howard need to box out Boozer when he goes in for the offensive rebound.

Now that we have Head, we need to set him up for 3s. I'm pretty sure the Jazz have seen the Warriors/Rox game and know how to shut down Yao.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

We are a veteran team. If Tmac, Battier, Howard, etc, need confidence we are in trouble.

Basically play weak and shabby, and let the Jazz blow us out and think we will be easy.

Then we come to play in Game 1 at Utah, defeat them handily, and totally demoralize them for the rest of the series by realizing they had never seen the real Rockets and can't handle us whenever we decide to show up.

That would be my plan if homecourt is already lost.

5. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Start our starters and have them play with Bonzi. Then sit them after the 1st half. Leave Bonzi in for the second half.

6. Sextuple Double

Start Jake, Novak, Snyder, Bonzi, and Vspan and play them 48min ;)

7. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

How would I play the Jazz? I would put Deke in early.. pull have him pull some elbow ooooh shuriukens like in street fighter 2.. then the Jazz would be forced to play their bench.

#7 magnetik, Apr 6, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

haha i like how noone answered the question correctly. he asked if homecourt was decided whoever won the last game.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i think it is a valid question... its under the assumption the last game doesnt mean anything...

off topic... does anyone know the playoff schedule yet? I'm thinking the first slate of games will be on Friday the 20th with a second night of games on Saturday the 21st... what do you guys think? maybe Saturday and Sunday?

EDIT: I Just found the schedule
    April 18: NBA regular season ends
    April 19: Rosters set for 2007 NBA Playoffs
    April 21: 2007 NBA Playoffs begin
    June 7: The Finals, Game 1, ABC
    June 10: The Finals, Game 2, ABC
    June 12: The Finals, Game 3, ABC
    June 14: The Finals, Game 4, ABC
    June 17: The Finals, Game 5*, ABC
    June 19: The Finals, Game 6*, ABC
    June 21: The Finals, Game 7*, ABC

heres another scenario, should Rockets stay in Utah after Wednesday and practice there or come home for a couple days, only to hop on a plane back to Salt Lake?

#9 across110thstreet, Apr 6, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  10. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

No, he said:

Assuming that home court advantage is decided prior to going into that final game, how would you want to see the Rockets play the Jazz in that final game?