1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Harden and Curry changed teams.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tha_Dude, Jan 29, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The right answer to this hypothetical is that both teams would get worse. To what extent, is open to speculation.

J Sizzle likes this.
  2. photojoe

photojoe Member

I get what you are saying, but I have always felt like there are two problems with these kinds of arguments. 1- it will never actually happen so anything we say is going to be pure speculation. I imagine if one of these teams ever called the other and asked for a 1 for 1 swap, both Golden State and Houston would say no. And 2- probably even more importantly, their respective teams have been built around them and their play style. For years now, both Houston and GSW have been trying to build the team around their star. Making such a big change like this could change the roles of all of the other players on these teams as well and could completely change the chemistry.

With that said, while Curry is undoubtedly an amazing shooter and player that I'm sure any team would love to have, I don't think he is as versatile as Harden is. Just my opinion, but Harden would have an easier time plugging into different rosters and making an immediate impact whereas Curry on a lot of rosters would immediately help the shooting of that team, but would need some time for the team to get a couple of extra pieces in order to fully showcase his skillset.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm so glad GSW blew a 3-1 lead and Lebron rose up to his GOAT status, or these threads wouldn't exist.

4. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I know your time is extremely valuable but this is exactly the kind of answer I was expecting from you. Thank you.

Still waiting for joomba to chime in, though. I don't know what type of dog treats he likes.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think I actually agree with this. Harden's ball-dominant style would ensure two scenarios:
    1. He adapts to GSW's style and is less effective overall
    2. He doesn't adapt and GSW's style is less effective

Curry would be crushed under the weight of what James has to carry here every night. We know that he can be a #1 guy with #1a and #1b and now #1c guys on his team. Can he be a good #1 all alone? I doubt it. He is probably one of the only players who would actually represent a drop in defense if swapped for James. And his shooting is other-worldly but carrying a team solo means having a completely versatile offensive game.

I'd say the Warriors go from A+ to A-.
    Rockets go from A- to B-.

#45 napalm06, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. Tha_Dude

They would still exist, either way. Curry and LeBron have stacked teams so either of them winning a title should not surprise anyone.

If Harden wins a title with this current team, he will go down in history for having carried the least talented group of players to an NBA championship.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think both teams would be worse. Warriors are all about ball movement and harden needs the ball in his hands. I don't know if curry can carry the load of harden.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Such a weak thread.

So Harden just had a terrible game and the Rox had been sucking for a week now, and you can not find anything encouraging to say other than trying to water down the best team in the league while they are playing good now?

Terrible efforts, just like the Rox defense the whole season.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

While LeBron had the highest salary team, many people did not see them as the "most talented" team in the league. The Warriors, even without Durant, were having a historic season and were regarded as one of the most talented teams in history.

Cleveland winning the championship was considered an upset. (BTW, Love has been relegated to a glorified role player, even lower than what Klay Thompson is to the Warriors.) The only true star LeBron had was Irving. Not to mention, GS had a much deeper bench than the Cavs. And a lot of people believe that Curry was not 100% after the DMo butt sweat slip. So yeah, the Cavs winning last year was fairly surprising.

10. Tha_Dude

The point is that both LBJ and Curry have better supporting casts than Harden does.

We can start a new thread in the dish to discuss Curry choking in the finals or how LeBron wants to whine about not having enough help this year. Those would be very entertaining threads, almost as good as this one.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know what the point of this thread is. Many of us don't think it is very interesting.

IF Harden took this team to a championship, then yes, he would be considered having done something greater than Curry and LeBron. But he has not done that ... yet. So it's kinda pointless until he does.

What you are doing is not really IF Harden won a chip with the current Rockets, but IF Harden was on the Warriors. Many posters already pointed out that it wouldn't be a fair comparison--even if we allowed the pure speculation--because the two teams are built differently due to the stars skill sets.

And you used the unfortunate words "refute these facts" in the OP when these are clearly not "facts" but speculations... unless you want to redefine the English word "fact." The FACT that you used the word "facts" turned a lot of people off, including myself.

Dude, you are a good poster with lots of positive contributions to this board. But with all due respect, this thread is not one of your better products.

DudeWah likes this.
  12. Tha_Dude

This is all you needed to say, right here.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

More than that, if Harden carries this team to 60, it will be a far greater individual accomplishment than Curry's contribution to their 73-win season.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't know man. Steve Kerr's system is based on Mike D'Antoni's system. So I do think both the Beard and Curry would do well for both teams.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This might be true in a vacuum, like D'Antoni and Kerr could both run a perfect system regardless of which personnel are actually in it.

But you still need some wing shooters, some defensive role players, some rebounders, some ball-handlers, and the system has to be tailored to maximize what you do have and mask what you don't.

16. rockpileindisma

Cash me outside how bow da

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

its not just based on MDA's system. he's taken a collection from the triangle and Pops as well.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

MDA system has the ball a lot in his pgs hands: Nash, Lin, Harden. The warriors offense has more off the ball movement and screens.

19. caneks

caneks Rookie

Exactly, many of our members do not have any idea about it.

deshen likes this.
  20. caneks

caneks Rookie

This is not a 60 wins team.

deshen likes this.