1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Greg Oden was available for backup center would you take him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, Jul 3, 2010.

?

Would you take Greg Oden for backup center?

1. Yes

149 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

119 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. devin23

devin23 Member

Dude is a very high injury risk, but damn is he a efficient center for 20+ minutes if healthy. If we could snatch him with one of our PFs (hill, patterson and scola if we get bosh) and not give up any draft pick, I think it'd be a low risk high reward scenerio.

2. Uprising

Uprising Member

No...we already have a center made of glass.

3. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Ill take him but not over Miller personally.

The more bodies the better.

4. devin23

devin23 Member

Well nowadays, true centers are not all that sturdy, except for Dwight, but he's built like lebron and was actually playing as PF early in his career. Most 7+ footers 260+ pounds are prone to injuries due to the stress and weight they put on their bodies. Look at this year's draft. Don't even think there was 7 footer drafted in the 1st round...

5. Cleepy

Cleepy Member

Don't forget before his injury he was doing really well, almost averaging a double double.

The best part of getting him with Yao is both would have reduced minutes maximizing their longevity as well as Oden's penchant for getting into early foul trouble.

But I honestly think he wouldn't be available to us in any case

6. BetterThanEver

While many fans want a backup for Yao, I think you are taking it too literal. They aren't looking for another center that requires surgery every year. ;)

7. devin23

devin23 Member

I don't know... I'd thikn portland would be tired of his injuries, plus they aren't gonna be real contenders anyway. Might as well get hill/patterson who has potential and get rid of another potential with higher injury risks.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Clutch should ban the Phrase "If Healthy" or at least come up with some sort of penalty like a kick to the groin.

9. Codman

Codman Member

Absolutely not. He's the opposite of low risk, high reward that Morey goes for.

He's a high risk, low reward type of player at this point. I don't foresee him as ever being a dominant center in the league, especially considering the massive injuires he's been through within his first two years.

I don't think you ever fully recover from those consecutive type of injuries.

Brad Miller? Low risk, high reward player...Adelman's offense is perfect for him, just like it was on the Kings.

10. devin23

devin23 Member

Some of you are really hard to please... Where else are you going to get an center as efficient as Oden at 20 minutes at his price?? (rookie contract) He only needs 20 minutes anyways to mitigate injury risk...

11. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

yes... ill take the risk

i dont know why you guys are saying no.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Portland drafted him #1 over Durant. He hasn't had a real opportunity to start due to his injuries and the Blazers aren't going to admit their mistake until they give him a nice long chance to show what he can do. Expect him to at least play out his rookie contract before changing teams.

13. devin23

devin23 Member

The definition of low risk, high reward is giving up something that's not TOO valueable for that something that has high potential reward. I think if we can give up patterson, hill or even scola (assuming we get bosh) for oden without anyone else, the risk is low.

14. YourSecretLover

ill do it for the veterans minimum

15. devin23

devin23 Member

Well he's on rookie contract, which is what, 3 mil? So its not that much of a difference.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

My lord, will people stop with these things. Which FA we get for whatever is never simply black and white. There is a line with a zone at which you do not do and a zone where of course you would.

If you could get him really cheap without giving up much in a trade, sure you would get him. If he wants $10 million or we have to give up someone like Lowry in a trade, then you do not want him.

Please stop these silly questions.

17. donnie25od

donnie25od Member

hell no!! Enough of the injury plagued players. I'd rather just have some guys who can make it through a whole season. The only center that can come back in here after injuries is Zeke. Even at 75 he plays harder than anyone and he could just stay back on defense the whole game.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Maybe you didn't get a chance to see my response from the other thread where someone asked the same question. If you missed it, here it goes.
    HHHEEEEELLLL NAAAWW!!! :mad:

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Plus hes like 49 yrs old!! :confused:

20. Asian Sensation

Ya.... Portland is really going to let Oden go for just Hill or Patterson :rolleyes:

He was showing signs of wait for it :::::gasp::::: dominance before he went down with that injury. I know some of you guys are laughing hard but I've watched him closely since day 1 he arrived in Portland. He looked lost the majority of his first real year and he looked sketch the first couple of games last year but he really turned it on before he got hurt again. He was starting to score easily around the hoop, he was controlling the paint, blocking shots and grabbing rebounds.

I don't think the Blazers have given up on Oden yet and I firmly believe Oden is still a part of Portland's long term plans. If an offer was to be made for him the asking price would probably be something like Battier or Ariza + Hill or Patterson + draft pick injury and all. Blazers have way too much interest vested in Oden to just let him go without getting something significant in return.

Last year truly was a shame and depressing for Oden and any Blazer fan. Here's what his stats looked like for the 21 games before he went down.

24 MPG
    11 Points per game on only 7 Field goal attempts.
    8.4 rebounds with 3 of them being offensive boards.
    2.3 blocks per game
    76% from the FT line.

He was just barely getting his feet wet.