1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Francis signs for 3yrs or even less: Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 19, 2002.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Given the Chronicle article that says Francis's agent wants to "discuss the direction of the team" and the Rockets want to check out Francis's health, what would you do if one or the other side wants to negotiate a short extension.

Assuming the contract is for Max Pay, what would you do if Francis's extension is not Max Years?

<ol><li>Good: as long as its 3+ yrs and the Rockets dictate it
    <li>Good: Francis has the right to sign even a 1yr and force Rudy/Ming to prove themselves
    <li>Bad: Cat, Mo and Moochie got 6yrs, if the Rockets don't commit to Francis for the max years I'll be pissed
    <li>Bad: if Francis pulls a Duncan and forces 3 or less yrs I'll be pissed
    </ol>

The obvious reasons the Rockets sign a short term extension is to avoid the risk of max pay if Francis's injury-prone decline last yr becomes a trend and steady decline. He does play rough, afterall, aside from the migraines. I'm sure Les is getting annoyed with paying for injuries to Barkley, Hakeem, MoT, Rice and Francis.

The obvious reasons Francis doesn't sign a max length extension is the Duncan argument of last year, that he isn't sure about the direction of the organization, and might like to have flexibility to bail. And besides, in three yrs his maximum allowable pay takes approx a $2m jump, so their is a significant monetary reason for a 3yr. The maximize pay strategy is what Grant Hill used, too, right?

I vote for #1 hoping for all sides to want a 6yr with pleasure like Mobley, Moochie and MoT did.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Good for the Steve Haters
    Bad for the other 98% of the people here

3. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

i believe its very bad

4. heypartner

Where does, "It is bad to sign an injured player for 6yrs at Max Pay" fit in?

Where does, "Francis signing for just 3yrs (like Duncan) will make Rudy think about winning now" fit in?

#4 heypartner, Jul 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2002
  5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GOOD! Short contracts better. See Tim Duncan. Good for Steve, Good for Rox. Let the chips fall where they may. Everyone has to perform. Long contracts stink - see Kelvin Cato, see Scottie Pippen.

#5 pasox2, Jul 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2002
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bad. I would like him to be a Rocket until the end of his career.

7. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I don't think that he will turn down 3 yrs worth of guaranteed money just on "the direction the team goes" in that three year span or the 3 yrs before that. We're talking about a chance on losing ~ $50 - 60 mil if he was seriously hurt or couldn't play/produce because of the migraines.

Tell me what agent is going to advise him to pass up 3 yrs. of max. guaranteed money. Not happening ! Especially not w/ the Rox history of winning/producing good teams.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

it would be bad of course because our best player wouldn't be locked up long-term. but, 3 years is better than no extension at all and i expect that by the end of that term we'll be serious contenders. i doubt he'd be leaving.

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

If I were in his positon I would go for a deal that keeps me here as long as possible making max money. This is the first chance he gets to really cash in (although making anywhere over 5.50 an hour playing basketball is cashing in) and he wants to make sure that if anything happens he's set financialy.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bad, bad, bad, and bad. We should lock him up long term if the Mayo Clinic checks him out as ok. He should want it because, as has been noted above, you never know about injuries/health issues. Steve should jump at the opportunity. If he doesn't, things aren't too cool in Rocketville. Good topic, HP... better than "Did the Answer lose his crib sheet? He did WHAT???" and so on. :)

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we need to lock him up. 7 years, team option on the 8th, $100 million...whatever it takes.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

heypee-I don't 1 year max contract extension situation as a real possibility:

If we don't get an extension done, Francis becomes a RFA next summer-and if we wanted to keep him, we could match any offer, and if Francis puts up All-star numbers, we'd do that, including a 1 year offer, and it's no different, unless you think it could create a Marc Jackson-like bitterness situation (if that occurs, it probably would've occured anyway). Whereas if Francis gets torn up by injuries for a 2nd year in a row, he probably loses some market value, and you could've signed him for less.

As for a 3 year deal-If it's like Duncan's, then the contract is greatly in the player's favor-if he gets hurt, or doesn't perform, he can just keep the contract, and not become a free agent, and have 3 more years of 10+ mill type money coming to him. If he does perform, and doesn't like the team's situation, or becomes a top tier superstar, he can opt out, and get more money from his team, or create a bidding war with an even higher max and raise per year.

I don't see him accepting a deal for 3 years with a team option on years 4-6. He probably would take his chances on just a 3 year deal over that. If he goes for straight 3 years, it'll be because he truly wants to see if this team (Ming) is the real deal. By the third year, which is 4 years from now, Griffin and Ming should be starting to emerge. But, I don't see him going for just 3 years-not enough guaranteed money.

I do see a Duncan-like contract as a possibility, actually, most likely IMO if Francis' alleged questions on Ming were legit, he can get max length if he wants it, or opt out at 3 years. If Ming and/or Griffin become the real deal, I don't think it matters: Steve would be absolutely insane to get out of a situation with a backcourt mate that can score 20+ ppg, 2 potential front court superstars, and another offensive weapon in Nachbar. If Steve were to leave, probably every PG in the league would love to step into that starting lineup. If Ming/Griffin don't fulfill their potential is where you gamble-in that case, the team probably isn't very successful, which would be a reason for Steve to want out (and why Duncan had that opt out put in his contract).

13. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Francis will sign for the max this summer. No question about it. Steve won't leave that much money on the table. Rudy will not allow his franchise player to leave. Moot point.

14. heypartner

bigboymumu...was Duncan an idiot, then? Why did he "leave that much on the table." It is because he wants flexibility to dictate his career and he gets a higher maximum pay for the 7 yr veteran threshold.

not a moot point, imo. It totally makes sense for Francis to demand a short contract. He can make more money and dictate his career; he merely bets that his stock does not go down...and what's the worse that can happen if he does have a career ending injury. He is worth only $40m vs $100m...how much of a downside is that versus the upside of career control and more money for a 7yr vet max? Having a larger allowable max is why Lewis didn't sign a Mobley-esque 6yr contract afterall. There is a lot of precedence for this.

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

why the Hell would the Rockets offer the short 3yr deal, no way that happens and with Steve's ego as it is, he walks!!!

One suspects HeyP is suggesting Steve and his management suggest the 3 year deal and the basis Steve has some reservations about the success the current squad would have, which is a great attiude for our supposed floor leader to have.

Either way Steve gets his cash, can't believe he hasn't gotten himself to the Mayo clinic yet, no way any team in the league offers him a max dollars max cash deal if the headaches aren't 100% in the clear.

3 years might be good for all parties, especially if there is any health doubts and will keep Steve happy and thinking his re-signing will ensure the management keeps adjusting the squad to his needs... and damn if in 3 years he still can't run the point and is still running the wings in transistion looking for espn highlight reel dunks then we can give him to the max and deal him for a point who has some idea about running the show and trying to make your fellow teammates better.

Smeg

PS Mash my arse, i just want some improvement and some transition and as far as i see it the point guard is responsible for that!

16. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

That's bad news if he signs for 3 years or less, because that mean he wants to play some where else. But don't think that will happen, he'll probably get offer about 5-7 years for about 50 to 80 million dollars. That's just a little prediction, don't pay attention!

17. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Probably 7 years for about 100 million dollars.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If by the remotest chance that Steve Francis realy has that way of thinking about Rudy and the potential of the Team, HE SHOULD BE TRADED NOW!! Even though I like Francis I cant stand a Team Leader who is not a Team Player but a selfish one! Rockets should be in complete control of this one! Six years, no frills and as much as they can afford to pay him.( Remember the others will need to be paid as well).

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think three years would be good. If we make it far in the playoffs then he will sign anohter extension. If we don't then we need to bring someone else to get us there anyway. Six years is plenty of time for him to get us there.

20. heypartner

JWD Walker,

I am suggesting the Duncan comparison of making demands (the San Antonio stadium, staying competitive, etc), because similar stuff has been stated by Francis that he is tired of losing, wants to be in the playoffs and his agent repeated the need to discuss this as terms of signing an extension. Translating that to saying that Francis is making TroyBaros demands to control the team are an extreme interpretation.

I could totally see a mutual agreement between Francis and Les to want 3yrs, with the promise of staying for a larger contract if things go well. Remember, the maximum pay for a 7yr vet is approx $2m higher than the max of 1-6yr players can make. Is a mutual agreement (with mere promises) good or bad?