1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

if francis doesn't go, the team won't change

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Apr 10, 2003.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

it's not just his play, it's the problem of changing a strong personality

if almost the entire team can be traded this off season, i can't see it as being worse for the future. the rockets should be in a serious movement mode, or the rockets will be the same low IQ basketball team year after year.

rebuilding isn't over if any serious contention for the finals is expected. rebuild now, rebuild more.

i suggested this trade long before and i still think it can be a start...

francis + something... mobley even... for jamaal crawford and donyell marshall + cash considerations? or picks... and fillers

then see what falls, get a great free agent or a superior PG/PF

trade trade trade.. or it'll always be the same

2. Alirules

Alirules Member

when Yao becomes a top 5 player then Francis will be agreat 2nd option

3. crossover

if francis is around, yao will never be a top 5 player

4. spence99

spence99 Member

I disagree. This team doesn't have very good chemistry, but you don't trade Francis. He is a great player. How many guys can average 20 pts, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists a game?

5. dttd888

dttd888 Member

Forget Francis having to leave, get Eddie Griffin the hell out of there. He is making no progress whatsoever. His latest off the court problems just add to his lack of value. He has no intensity and no skills. Sure he can block some shots, but damn, for what we gave up, he hasn't lived up to ****!! Don't tell me he's only 20, I realize that, he shows no signs of progress. That is where you start to look in the offseason in my opinion. But I wouldn't dispute the idea of shopping Francis too much either.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Francis is going anywhere. Yao isn't either. Any bets on the others?

Any takers out there?

Rice, due to an expiring contract.
    Um, anyone else?

7. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

package griffin and mobley.

8. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Marbury averaged 25/4/8 for NJ Nets, he's traded. SAR averaged 20/10/4 for Memphis, he's traded. I wouldn't put Francis in those catagory yet and we are unlikely to trade him yet after giving him that max contract. But we shouldn't rule out this option if the team still remains crap.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

They must decide is it going to be Yao Mings team or Steve Francis team in the near future! Then they shoul get rid of the players that dont fit the direction of the Team. It will mean major rebuilding and they will need to admit that they made a BAD error forcing Francis and Mobley to accept Yao Ming when they didnt want him. At that juncture they should have had the good business sence not to try the almost imposible task of combining ISO Guards with poor defence and a potential 7'6'' Star Center.

10. mulletman

mulletman Member

yao ming is good, but he'll never be a top 5 player, whether francis is here or not.

11. DCballer

DCballer Member

This thread flat out sux. Infact it is so bad you don't even deserve a thought out responce. Crossover, that has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If I was in a little better mood right now I probably wouldn't say anything, but you get to be my punching bag. If you think that Francis needs to go you have proved to me that you don't know basketball, or business for that matter. Maybe you should stop bashing and try to figure out the game. :mad:

12. pchan

pchan Member

It is not about the numbers, if it is all about the numbers, then caron butler would get high consideration as roy.

Francis has not shown that he is a winner. His team never make the playoff. Right now, Francis is only a good player who is making the max money. Until his team starts winning consistently, he should never be consider a great player and be deserving to get the max contract.

The good thing is that it's not over yet, he still have times to prove that he can be a leader and a winner.

If they don't make the playoff and continue to play so poorly, I won't mind to see francis got traded, but it has to be for the right people. They should try to trade him.

13. dttd888

dttd888 Member

Excellent points. So do you agree that this should be Yao's team??? And build everything around him???
    I don't know how long Les Alexander and Rocket fans can wait to rebuild though. I don't think that this team will need to actually "rebuild". They do need to "retool" though. They took Kenny Thomas out of the equation because he didn't fit. I just think that there is more of a future on Yao's shoulders than on Steve's. And like you said, they don't mesh too well. I still say let Eddie Griffin hit the streets.

14. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

Yes, I agree,... Rocket's Management has to decide, if it is going to be Yao Ming's team or Francis Team.
    and trade and rebuilt the team accordingly.
    they can't have both mobley and francis along with Yao ming on the same team.
    both Francis and Mobley are one on one players and needs a lot of shoots.

15. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

how about this in a sign and trade francis to the clippjoint in return for miller and and pike?

16. crossover

dc, thank you for your insightful input on your basketball intellect

mulletman, yao = rookie.

even griffin has a chance to shine given a few more years

have you ever played basketball with that one stupid center... somehow he can't catch the ball... or misses the rebound right over his head to some guy a head shorter to him... or just somehow always can't run the play right... yet he's bigger than everyone on the court so he's your center. it makes the entire team dysfunctional often, moody when playing, no one plays their game... no one feels comfortable and shoots for their A level. if he's a role player and does some things right, (luc longley) it all works.

enter francis, the guard example. marbury was somewhat similar a few years back and has only started changing of late. strong personality, but somehow doesn't make things right on court here and there. always gonna want to be center of the team, making the team all defunct somehow. now he's supposed to be the all star though... bursting with talent just like that one center is supposed to be the giant. no one feels comfortable and shoots for their A level. if he's a role/team player more often, it just may work.

make the moves, or the team may never play and move fluidly like a team because of the people behind it. it can change but it may be dysfunctional somehow... francis hasn't shown he is that mature stability

and btw dc baller, i've read ur threads, u're a moron

17. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

you are wrong, once yao get some more strength, and get his move and shot a little more consistant, he will be a 25 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks and 5 assists player in 2 or 3 years.
    no one in the NBA does that right now. they may score more or rebounds a bit more, but they will not do the BLOCKS AND ASSISTS AT THE SAME TIME

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Francis and Mobley for Crawford and Donyell Marshall? I think I want to vomit. We can get more for Francis than that.

19. crossover

whatever fillers are needed to make the trade right,
    just somethign has to go down
    add a suggestion or opinion or something interesting instead of just vomit

20. DCballer

DCballer Member

Crossover I don't know what your talking about. I've only started three threads, ( since I started coming here in 1999) and they all where to state a fact. So I don't know what threads of mine you've read that made me look like a moron. I never start opinion threads, one... they take to long to write, and I don't have that much time, and two... I don't feel like preaching to a wall. I told you before that I didn't think your thread, was worthy of a thought out responce, and I still don't. So you can try to make smart little comments, like I'm a moron, but the fact of the matter is the this thread sux. It's people like you that have made me start to dislike coming to this site, and unless you know who I am or what I do, or who I work for. Maybe you should keep the personal attacks to yourself.