1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Bosh says no to Houston, How do Rockets win a championship?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brian_chapman, May 15, 2010.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

......huh? So what if Toronto can manage to win 40 or even 45 games after trading with us? Besides, their GM is a moron - he's the guy who signed Calderon and Turky Glue to those insanely stupid, I see no reason to be worried.

Having an effective Yao is kind of part of the plan, you know. And Bosh can defend the pick and roll, which Yao can't do at all. So they work together defensively as well.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bring up an interesting point. JB(Jon Barry) just brought up a similar thing after the Cs-Magic game. He said he said originally the loss of Hedo Turkoglu would hurt them. He said he was their playmaker. Then pointed to tonights game where they only had 10 assist.

3. BetterThanEver

Who is this free agent that they can if they make a trade with Houston? If they take back the min salary for the trade to work, they still be at $60 mil, which is $4 mil over the estimate $56 mil salary cap. It automatically leaves them with only the MLE.

4. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

I'm sorry but Bosh is not the caliber player that will bring Houston a championship.

Some of you guys are desperate.

5. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

VINCE CARTER had more success with the Raptors than Chris Bosh did. During his prime he was a BETTER PLAYER which is saying volumes about the type of player Bosh is.

He WILL NOT dominate in the playoffs. He is not like the "true" superstars (i.e prime Kobe/McGrady/Wade/LBJ) in that he can carry a team on his back.

He's a second banana. I'm sorry but everything points to that.

6. kops630

kops630 Rookie

i don't think bosh is the core role for rockets to get the title, so, it doesn't mean too much when bosh reject us, that's it.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

VC carter in his prime was a very good player.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

Exactly.

If Vince Carter wasn't lazy like his cousin, he would be another Kobe.

9. BetterThanEver

Wasn't their 4th and 5th worst records in franchise history under Carter?

10. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

He was a good player but he was NOT a prime Tracy McGrady or Kobe Bryant.

VC was never at any point a top 5 player in this league. He never was an all nba first team selection - nor has he ever been in the top 10 of MVP voting.

Yet he had more success than Bosh on some CRAP Raptors teams - that is VERY telling.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I would say at the time you could make an argument that he was in the kobe/tmac/iverson level. The VC now days is not prime VC.

12. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

0 time All-NBA first team (this includes back then). 0 times in the top 10 of MVP voting.

I'm not arguing that he wasn't better - IMO he was better than Bosh during his prime. I'm arguing that he was never a top tier player.

The point is that Bosh accomplished even less than Carter. He is not the player you want your team to be built around.

13. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Toronto is a relatively new franchise and the only time they didn't make the playoffs with Carter is when he was injured (which was frequent after '01).

14. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

If Yao comes back as scheduled, the team gets a good defensive backup center with size who can get the job done if Yao gets hurt again, and they get a good, scoring backup power forward with size -- all of this without giving up much talent in return -- they will be among the best teams in the league and compete for a championship. Doesn't mean they'll win one, necessarily, but they'll be in the mix.

Hopefully no one's shortsighted enough to assume that all of the team's young players will remain static next near and not show improvement over last year, as many people wrongfully assumed before the season last year. The situation will be different, with a fully loaded team this year, so there won't be a scoring chasm for the young players to fill, as there was last year. But it's reasonable to expect Budinger, Hill or Ariza to step up their game in their second season as Rockets. It's not likely all three will, but it is likely at least one of them will.

It would be great if Bosh or Jefferson became a Rocket over the summer, but even if neither does, I think the team is a couple of stong personnel moves away from being back in the championship hunt.

15. rox81

rox81 Member

Um, you see "several All-Stars" in that list? I see just one, Yao Ming. (Granted, K-Mart should've made it in '09, but he didn't.) Scola's 14-15 ppg is not All-Star material. It's good, it's above-average, but it's not All-Star. Brooks is close, but he's not an All-Star yet - and he may never get there.

Bosh, I think, is underrated on this board. Honestly, there are only about 5 20/10 players in the NBA. They are very rare. Bosh is one of those rare guys. He may very well be a go-to guy if he played for us, contrary to what you've posited; no one on our team averaged 24 ppg last season the way he did.

I'm not saying Bosh is a make-or-break deal for us, but he is a friggin' stud, and he may be the best player on our team next season. Let's at least acknowledge that much.

16. BetterThanEver

They were only better with Carter for 3 seasons, yep. He gets an asterick for the rest of his time with Toronto. The other 3 seasons were 23-27 in 1998-99(lockout season, before his injuries), 24-58 in 2002-03, 33-49 2003-04. We could say the same for the Bosh years. Bosh only missed the playoffs, when their starters missed half the season and he had to play with 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players as starters.

17. sks123

sks123 Member

The key word is injuries. If the team does not have injuries come playoff time, then we will be ok. We were contenders last year if everyone was healthy (Yao, Deke, McGrady injured) and the year before (Yao, Alston injured).

I think adding Bosh is more like insurance for the team because if Yao gets hurt we would have an All Star that can step in at C with Scola at PF. If we don't add Bosh, we need to get a backup C, maybe a Brad Miller type veteran that can give a good contribution but with a low salary, draft a big (I think we should try to move up if we can but if not its ok because this draft is big heavy. I am not too worried about Morey choosing at 14 because he was able to find gems in the late first round and in the second round aka Brooks, Landry, Budinger. At 14, I like Alabi or Whiteside.)

In my opinion, the last thing we would need to do is get a 3rd PG that can play with us next year. I have not seen this highlighted enough. We should try to get Llull to come if he can somehow, but it is very unlikely he can come before 2011. The reason I say we need a 3rd PG is because if Lowry or Brooks goes down for some time, we need a viable candidate that can run the team. When Lowry got hurt, we were lost this year because all we had were d league call ups to step in, I think we need more talent there as insurance.

With the changes above, I think that IF healthy, the Rockets could do some serious damage, maybe win a title if they continue to improve throughout the summer and season. We would only be adding 3 players so most of the players have developed good chemistry together through the past half of the season which should help out a lot and make Yao + new players integration much easier and faster than otherwise.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I am glad someone their opinion in irt to Lebron. The so-called pundits always mention Chicago, NY, and Miami as possible Lebron destinations.

Why not Houston???

Overall, we have the best supporting role players in the league. We are young. Lebron in Houston would easily attract a capable center.

Lebron + Rockets equals many chips.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Gotta break up the Martin/Brooks back court. They are, for better and for worse, too similar. I love both guys and would love to have them stick around but I can't see this team getting deep in the playoffs with a back court that can't guard anyone.

I think Brooks' value is through the roof right now and I'd use him and a combination of Battier or maybe Jordan Hill to bring in the right type of PG. Of course, if Martin were moved instead that would be just fine also.

I still don't believe Bosh is the answer if the question is "who do we give a max deal to?"

20. Raven

Raven Member