1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Bosh says no to Houston, How do Rockets win a championship?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brian_chapman, May 15, 2010.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Not necessarily, KG decided to go to Boston, and thry were awful before he came.

Anyways, if we don't get Bosh(or any other significant player) we win a ring this way:
    1) Yao returns to All-Star form, maybe even NBA form, and doesn't get injured.
    2) Aaron Brooks further improves to an all-star pointguard
    3)Kevin Martin uses Yao and AB to push hinmself to All-Star form
    4) Ariza meshes with Martin+AB
    5) C-Bud and Taylor improve.
    6) We re-sign Lowry and Scola
    7) Battier still has enough juice in him and/or Ariza and/or C-Bud improve enough to stifle Kobe, Durant, Lebron etc.
    8) We don't mmeet up with Dallas in the playoffs.
    9) Dwight Howard(providing we meet with Orlando in the finals) does not improve enough to stop Yao.

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Member

We got this far with no bad contracts, except Jeffries' 1-year-remaining contract. Maybe make a few more deals, increasing our talent a little at a time, without taking on bad contracts. Then, when we're close enough, take a deal where we get an all-star provided we take a bad contract. Do two of these deals.

I think maybe we're already at that point.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just a little positivity, PLEASE. :confused: How could you be so negative after seeing that this team without a star went 42-40 in a stacked western conference. TO ALL POSTERS, keep this in mind :mad: !!
    LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD, this team without a superstar, took the current champions to 7 games in last years playoffs. That hasn't even happened in this years playoffs, yet. If Yao had not gone out, we would be the champs :eek: thats right, champs. Believe that. We are only one star away from a championship, not 2. Lets say we don't get Bosh :eek: then use part of the MLE to get Brad Miller, only because he is already familiar with the system. Then use the draft to get a young center (Solomon Alabi, maybe a little high at 14 i know :eek: ) and a 2nd round PG/SG (Mikhail Torrance). No trades at all. Sure there will be some minor adjustments concerning the undesirables(Jeffries, Anderson), but you know what i mean.

4. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

do we still have Jordan Hill? :confused:

5. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

Bosh is not the answer, beside, Scola is more than capable PF. Our bigger issue is bIGER pg. Brooks to me, is more SG than PG. With YAO back, there will be no enough shots for Brooks, Martin and Yao. Plus building a champion team, Brook'S weakness on defense and pass could really hurt.

Another bigger question remaining, which style of game will play next season, consider we did great job on R&G style.

6. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I agree. I'd like to have Darren Collison.

7. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

We'd go hard after Lebron James. I think Houston can be a very attractive place- players fitting in with him and winning-wise- for Lebron to consider playing for.

I think the reason our strategy is to go after Bosh first is because our chances of landing bosh is much higher than our chances of landing Lebron. And the time it will take for Lebron to consider his next destination will likely be much longer for him to play out the unknown situations in Miami and Chicago and NY. Whereas for Chris Bosh, I see him signing within the first 10 days of free agency at most. SO if Bosh is not coming, Morey will push hard for Lebron.

And really going for Lebron is and would be a dream scenario. Our biggest wekaness is at the SF spot and for salary purposes, getting Leborn and retaining Scola is more ideal than getting Bosh and retaining Ariza.

8. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Morey knows what he is doing, I'm sure he has a backup plan.

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Also, you can attract an all-star with money, if you have a lot of cap space and offer a huge deal to a player, they can sign with your team.
    But now the rockets doesnt have that, so a trade its the most probable.

10. chief

chief Member

i agree...somehow i see houston getting pressured into this overpaying for bosh deal...

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

People overrate the "facilitating" PG way too much. Parker is a shoot first, pass second PG, and how many titles has he won? More than any other PG in the league.

Mo Williams isn't a very good example because any team with Lebron or someone of his caliber on it isn't going to have the PG handling the ball most of the time, so its not logical to have a Rondo-type player who cant shoot if Lebron kicks it out. Besides, the Cavs go deep into the playoffs every year with Williams running the point.

Its a case by case basis, depending on what offense you're running, and RA's system doesn't require an 8-10 APG point guard, as evidenced by the fact that our backcourt destroyed opposing backcourts almost on a nightly basis.

I do agree that he has to get better on defense, but even that showed signs of improvement towards the end of the year.

We just need Yao to stay healthy, a quality big to back him up, and a renewed commitment on D.

12. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Keep in mind this is Lebron James we're talking about. He's a money grubbing, endorsement seeking dude. Not that you're wrong, I just think Lebron is an exceptional case.

13. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Bring this guy outta retirement
    [​IMG]

No, not Rodman!

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 Member

A better question is: If Bosh says YES to Houston, how do Rockets win a championship?

15. aelliott

aelliott Member

Ok, how about the 2nd part of my statement? What are the likely destinations for the other big name FAs? Bosh, Stoudamire, Wade, Johnson, etc...

All of the speculation is that if those guys leave their current team then they will end up in Chicago, NY, NJ, Miami, Clippers or Houston ( in Bosh's case). None of those teams are currently contenders so I still disagree with the original statement.

16. Entropy

Entropy Member

Suns trade away or lose Amare Stoudemire this off-season, Dallas decides to not give Rod B. any playing time next season, Spurs retain Richard Jefferson, Roger Mason Jr, and Keith Bogans, Phil Jackson decides to retire from the Lakers, Dwight Howard gets injured for the Magic....And we should be good.

Of course, all of these things will not happen.

17. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

We do not. We will be fruitless like my ex-wife for years to come.

18. pbthunder

pbthunder Member

You left out Jordan Hill and our #14 pick. And, I agree with you about Llull.

Still, standing pat makes no sense. We're too deep now (except backup center); why not trade some of those assets to upgrade at 1-2 positions?

we don't need to reach, though. Was that your point?

19. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Member

I'm still trying to figure out how we expect a max contract perennial All-Star to walk through the door without losing 3 or 4 pieces of our core. For sure we can kiss AB goodbye. If I'm a GM from another team doing a sign and trade with our team to save a little face, Brooks is a must have.

If we get a Bosh, Lebron, Wade, etc. we're looking at at least a season, may be 2 of restructuring before we're in that 3-4 team group that can have championship aspirations.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Like I've said in the previous post, Bosh is a good player, but I still do not see us beating the Lakers and possibly other teams unless we have a healthy or somewhat contributing Yao Ming or we bring in another decent center. Again, I'll say that I do not think Bosh is going to lead us past a solid #1-#4 team with our current team. What killed us this year was not having an interior defensive presence in the paint (Yao Ming or Mutombo) or a consistent go-to scorer?

Bosh could easily be go to scorer, but can he carry this team in a really tough series or really patrol a paint on defense without a legitimate on center roster.

Can he neutralize Tim Duncan, or both, Bynum and Gasol without having another presence at center?

The thing I do not like is how you could possibly trade him out with other (star or very good) players in Toronto and how that team might could've actually made the playoffs this year. Furthermore, if Toronto accepts a fairly good deal with a sign and trade (and get players from Houston, Dallas, or other places) and then sign a FA and acquire more draft picks. They could easily become a more competitive team than what they were with Bosh.

Winning 40 games in the East is not one of the hardest feats in the world.