1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Bosh says no to Houston, How do Rockets win a championship?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brian_chapman, May 15, 2010.

1. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

chicken or the egg.

Eggs being allstars/primadonnas and chicken being the championship.

You need allstars to win championship, but to attract allstars to your team either signing or by trade you must show the allstars you are a contender already.

But how can you be a contender without allstars? Chicken or egg.

I say primadonnas because lebron,amare,wade, all say no to Houston because of market or fame. Houston has more talent than Nets,Chicago,Clippers yet you dont hear our name.

Bosh seems to be the only allstar available that isnt seeking large market. But I could be wrong. Yao obviously isnt a primadonna but he is aging.

So, if Bosh says no to Houston , explain to me how to win a championship.

Our nucleus is Brooks,Martin,Ariza,Scola,Yao,Budinger,Hill. Problem is that isnt a contender (assuming Yao declines some). Now if Yao plays at a MVP type level then yes thats a contender, but I dont expect that.

How do you turn our nucleus into a legit contender? Do you tank to get a #1 pick? They had that chance this year and didnt do it. They cant sign an allstar because of the cap rules. The only option is hope Morey can draft a "stud" at 14. But those odds are slim that a stud will be there at 14. And of course future drafts,same rules apply.

Do you trade assets Hill,Budinger,maybe Brooks for an allstar? But whom? The allstars that win championships are mostly primadonnas and will refuse trade to Houston.

Explain how to get out of this situation? If ever.

Lets look at the past Rocket teams:

1.winning lotto, draft Hakeem #1 overall -wins championship -attracts Barkley- attracts Pippen

2.winning #1 draft Yao -attracts Tmac who says he wants to play with allstar bigman - attracts Artest -doesnt win championship

now when Hakeem started aging, the Rockets didnt win. Yao is heading toward that ,so explain to me how the Rockets can win?

Lets look at the 4 teams left,

lakers -kobe-artest-bynum-pau.....out of those Kobe and Artest are primadonnas and will dictate where to be traded

celtics- kg-pierce-allen ....kg and pierce will not want to play for clippers. primadonnas

suns- amare -nash- ...amare refused to sign extension with Rockets nixing trade this february= primadonna

magic- howard-lewis ...lewis refused to sign here since magic offered alot more, howard was obtained with #1 overall.-howard also wouldnt play for clippers if he was a free agent,would head for big city lights or stay put

The only thing I can fathom is just collect assets ,like brooks,budinger,martin,and try to flip them for slightly better assets(like landry-martin) and then hope a collection of borderline allstars (brooks/martin/yao/scola) can win a championship. But looking at the final 4 teams it seems you need atleast 1 maybe 2-3 allstars to be in finals every year.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Martin steps up, Brooks steps up, Yao steps up, Scola steps up, Budinger steps up, Battier steps up, Hill steps up, Lowry steps up, etc...

You make a good case as to the fact that we need someone with a big name who can draw calls and add an aura to the games, but I don't think all is lost if we don't get Bosh. There was a lot of evidence that the team was still gelling towards the end of the season, and has room for improvement.

Morey will more than likely make some sort of move, so it aint worth worrying until then.

3. i3artow i3aller

It'll be a whole lot easier once Brooks lucks into a top 2 pick :)

4. Raven

Raven Member

Phase one: Morey waits until the deadline and exploits another desperate GM.

Phase two: Morey waits until the 2011 draft and 2011 free agency.

5. AznPlayR99

AznPlayR99 Member

I hope Brooks wears that red suit for good luck! haha

6. BetterThanEver

You just answered your own question. Draft. Spurs got Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Ginobili. Celtics got Pierce. Heat got Wade. That's the majority of the teams right there. Rockets really need to suck next season.

It will be easy, if Yao's comeback performance is as bad as T-Mac.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

With a little elbow grease.

8. tested911

tested911 Member

Sometimes you just have to accept the Rockets fate... If were not bound to win a championship with the current Rockets squad (Which I don't think is capable of) then just wait for the Yao dynasty to end.

9. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

First off I don't believe we need Bosh. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence, but if you spend a few minute watering your own grass some amazing things can happen.

Second we gave away a group of hard working guys for the Barkley swap and nothing came out of it. Other example of when a "team" is better, than just getting another "All-star". I enjoy Barkley's time here, but overall a collection of working parts was better than just bringing in a All-star.... and who's Pippen? that was a big bust!!

T-mac's time here was also a big bust, also giving away several talented players for,.. well Tracy. Bust!! And Artest was basically given his walking papers so we could bring in Trevor. IMO a more well rounded player with more of a upside, instead of a lose cannon.

I don't necessarily believe you need a All-Star to win but it helps. When I look at our lineup I see several All-Stars.... Yao, Brooks, Scola, Martin. I also see a collection of very talented players with plenty promise. Trade bait? maybe. But with great management like Morey and a core of players we have, I still Believe!!

Could Bosh help? Sure.
    Would I like to see him in Red? Sure, for the right price.
    IMO would Bosh be our go to guy? God I hope not, Not with Yao and company healthy.

In Morey I Trust!!!

10. ashiin

ashiin Member

Steve Francis brought the #1 pick in 2002, now it's Brooks' turn 8 years later

11. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

it would be tough no doubt, but theres other options Bosh isnt the be all end all option to become a contender

we can build through the draft and get a big with good potential this yr and next yr and the yr after that with the NY picks cuz Lebrick isnt goin there

if thats the case then we would be on a 2-3 yr plan of gettin back to elite status but knowing Morey he will shock and surprise us and pull a rabbit out his hat and make us immediate contenders like he has a knck of doin

not gettin bosh would be a set bak no doubt but trust and know Morey has a plan Z

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

The Jazz never won a championship.

13. Entropy

Entropy Member

By acquiring Stephen Curry when the Golden State organization gets drunk one night.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Pretty sure DonNelson is drunk every night

15. Entropy

Entropy Member

Touche.

16. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I really like this analogy. I think we don't necessarily need Bosh to push up to championship level either. I think a huge issue with our team has always been health-- our chemistry is probably among the best in the entire league, and our talent pool is nothing to scoff at. People seem to act like we didn't acquire an All-Star already in Kevin Martin. While the Scola/Landry combo was incredibly beastly, the Scola/Hill one is turning out just fine.

What we need is a very solid big man behind Yao. I don't think Brad Miller is good enough and if we can get Bosh without giving up too much, I'm all for it. But Bosh alone doesn't solve our problems if we ship out too much IMO.

17. albuster

albuster Member

Bosh or no Bosh, the Rockets need a heady PG who can organize the offense and make smart passes to his team mates and get them involved, and who does not shoot first. Brooks is definitely not that player. The Rockets will have plenty of firepower with Yao, Scola, Martin, Budinger and Ariza next season but they need to have the PG to organize and facilitate their offense, not take the first and most shots.

Defense is also paramount for the team so a solid defensive minded PG is a priority. Brooks with Martin in the backcourt is a blackhole in the Rockets' defense.

JVG stated in one of his latest broadcasting stints that what teams need to succeed are smart PG's who are the extension of the coach on the floor. Mo Williams is one example. He is an excellent shooter and scorer but what happened to the Cavaliers? Rondo is not a good shooter but he is extremely smart and knows how to play the PG position and the responsibilities that come with it. Despite the plethora of all stars, it is considered that Rondo is their most valuable player in their current run. Rondo and Brooks are opposite players in many ways.

The acquisition of Bosh, imho is secondary to having a solid and real PG.

18. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I dont know how much we need an "all-star", even if Bosh will help. I like our current team. I'm not saying we shouldn't get any help at all, but I think we are pretty good, we got a really young team. Brooks is getting better, Martin is really good, Budinger is getting better, ariza can be good, scola is good, yao is coming back, and then we'll have whoever we draft, who may not be an all-star but im sure he'll be able to contribute, I trust in Morey there. And we can pick up another role player with the MLE, maybe a solid back-up center. And we got guys like Taylor and Lull who could be ready soon to contribute.

I think Bosh would help but he isn't necessary. I think we have a strong young core thats going to get even better.

19. aelliott

aelliott Member

Really? Tell me again who are the leading contenders to land Lebron James? Who are the leading candidates to sign any of the big name FAs this year? Chicago, NY and Miami? Which one of them are already a contender?

Regardless of if it's Bosh or someone else, the way the Rockets will acquire an All-Star talent is by trade. We've got tons of assets and are an attractive place to play.

Sure Stoudamire wouldn't give us a guarentee that he'd resign here if we traded for him. Of course, he wouldn't have given any team that guarentee...that's why he's still in Phoenix. He's going to test the FA market.

1 person likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member