1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[If Available] Herro or Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Dec 10, 2020.

?

Herro or Simmons?

1. Herro

189 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Simmons

327 vote(s)
    64.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, if Wall is going to be our franchise player in the future, the next years are going to be pretty demoralizing.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Ben Simmons isn't a top 20 player in the league right now. He just isn't good enough a shooter and he is afraid to shoot the ball. He takes less than 12 shots a game and almost all of them are under the basket. For someone that wants the ball in his hands, and in a modern NBA, that is a killer in the playoffs. We saw it with Westbrook last year. In order to play Simmons in the playoffs you would need 4 other shooters on the floor.

I don't know what Herro's ceiling is, it likely isn't even as high as prime KT. However, KT in his prime was better than Simmons is right now. Neither of them are franchise players.

Do you really want to pay a guy that cannot shoot, that plays a position that requires someone to shot, $30,000,000 a year? That is 25% of the modern cap....... not sure I want to do that.

3. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

They won’t trade Bam. 1. They just signed him to a massive extension. He won’t be eligible to be traded until February 24th I think. 2. Aside from Butler, he is the 2nd most important player on that team. He can guard all 5 positions basically. Not happening.

D-rock likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Simmons is an odd player and I have no idea what we'd do with him. I mean, you'd basically have to build a Bucks team around him, 4 shooters...but then we have Wall. I don't know.

If Simmons could shoot...like even a little bit...it's crazy how good he'd be. We're talking Lebron James at that point. What makes Lebron so special is of course how big he is and how he has guard skills and can play PG and Center and play defense and...why Simmons is so reluctant to work on his shot in game is a complete mystery. The fact he's so reluctant to even try it makes me worried that he doesn't really want to be great. Even Westbrook tries to work on his shot knowing the boons it would bring him if he could improve it.

Such an odd player being 6'10 and a PG is some crazy stuff but he could have that Magic-Lebron like impact if he could shoot just a LITTLE bit.

I mean if he's all that's out there then you take it. Simmons is the better player for sure, no debate there, but he doesn't fit with Wall at all and the Herro trade would net a bucket of assets including a lot of cap relief moving forward.

clutchdabear likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Are we beggars or choosers?

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m sure they do, but you have to give to get an MVP-caliber player like a James Harden.

7. DVauthrin

If Simmons could shoot, the Sixers would never trade him, and he’d be a top-10 player in the league. A 30-year-old John Wall coming off a partially torn achilles shouldn’t stand in the way of acquiring Ben Simmons.

D-rock and everyday eddie like this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Simmons probably wouldn't be the man here.

9. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Dont take my words for it. "Experts" at ESPN apparently thinks so. Simmons is ranked 16th. https://www.espn.com/basketball/story/_/id/30489070/ranking-top-10-nba-players-2020-21

I'm not a big fan of espn basketball analysis, but theres some merit in outside opinion out of our own little bubble.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

buyer's market

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We SHOULD be CHOOSERS. Im hoping that's how Stone and Tilman are operating at least. Harden is under contract for 2 years so we have all the leverage in this situation. No need to rush into a deal cause he kinda mad about the offseason... We need to get a haul for him and nothing less!

everyday eddie and DVauthrin like this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Are we human, or are we dancer?

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree because we don't have many options here.

I'm just saying, the fact that Simmons is so reluctant against improving his shot worries me. Make me think mentally he's not that concerned with being great, he's content with where he's at.

Sounds like Tmac. Tmac admitted after his career that he grew content with what he was, a perennial all-star, he never strived to get better and better and improve himself to reach that next MVP level.

I wonder if mentally that's where Simmons is at. "I'm in the NBA, I'm going to make the all-star game every year, this is fine."

This shouldn't prevent us from getting him but once/if we do his shooting becomes an everyday topic.

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Wanna know how I know you've never watched Ben play?? The Westbrook comparisons have got to stop, man. The only similarity between Ben and Russ is that, yeah, they can't shoot. But Ben's IQ and defensive prowess absolutely blows Russ out of the water. It's honestly laughable that people are putting them in the same category. Ben is a ****ing All-NBA defender at 6'10 and has elite handling, court vision, and passing.....when has Russ even sniffed anything remotely close to that??

15. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I know Ben Simmons limitation. I know his style of play makes him an easy target to game plan for in the postseason. But guess what? It doesn't matter. You are trying to get the best return in a package for your disgruntled star. You think about fit and gameplan later.

Ben Simmons is a proven tier 1 established young player at the age of 24. Tyler Herro could be as good as Klay Thompson, he could be out of the NBA in 5 years. Guys like Herro are dime a dozen in the NBA. This is a very silly comparison.

D-rock and DVauthrin like this.
  16. Denovo

Denovo Member

We just paid 40mil for Westbrook. A PG who also can’t shoot.

Simmons has no position. He can play and guard all 5 positions and can be used in a variety of different ways in a system. We won’t be an iso team anymore. He’ll thrive with movement.

We don’t have an Embiid clogging the paint.

Simmon can’t shoot but is Elite in literally everything else.

We paid Gordon almost 20 mil to build a new stadium next to TC last year.

Simmons is worth 30 easily

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Herro+Robinson+(Nunn) + picks

Vs

Only Simmons and lesser picks

Would have done a separate deal.....

Elisburg for Rafael Stone?
    Morey back for Stone?

#77 daywalker02, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, we have Wall on the 35% of the cap right now...would we be ok with Herro as a second best player next to 30 years old Wall coming back from achilles after two years he has been at home? That's what i was saying, if we trade Harden, i think it would make more sense to have Simmons and a create a max slot as soon as possible to put another star next to Simmons, i'm sure a big player would want to come to Houston to play for Silas and with Simmons, no one else will come here to play with John Wall, and a Wall/Herro duo isn't leading us anywhere.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Herro because is on a smexy contract.

20. DVauthrin

I agree with you. It’s disturbing that Simmons has not made it a priority to develop an outside shot after three years in the league. Playing basketball is your job, and you know what your weakness is. Put in the time and energy to fix it. It’s the same way I felt about big men that were always terrible free-throw shooters. Don’t spend all offseason working on what you already do well. Instead, focus on improving your weaknesses to help your team and make you a more complete player.